Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-25-2016, 8:14 PM Reply   
I just installed 3 pairs(6 total) of brand new Wetsounds XS-650's powered by 2 SD-6 amps

on each SD-6 amp(one for left side of boat, one for the right side):

channel 1: 2 XS-650's
channel 2: 1 XS-650
channel 3&4: REV10
channel 5&6: REV10

Everything works perfectly except the XS-650's sound like they have absolutely no highs(treble), they sound "bland".

for trouble shooting so far i have tried:

-adjust bass/trebble on head unit
-check the HPF/LPF/Full setting on amps, all are set on HPF
-adjust the frequency on crossovers, went from one extreme to the other, it only changed how much mid-bass the speakers produced
-checked input signals, Thinking the head unit had some sort of filter turned on or the RCA's were bad. Took the RCA input from my tower REV10's(channels 3,4,5,6) which play perfectly and plugged them into channels 1&2, same issues

Am I missing something? Do the XS-650's have another terminal/input for the tweeters that I didn't hook up?


***All equipment was purchased from an authorized WS dealer.
Old     (drpringle)      Join Date: Feb 2016       07-25-2016, 9:48 PM Reply   
Get a ws 420 makes the system that much better
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-25-2016, 10:01 PM Reply   
doesnt solve my problem...

But the reason I dont want a 420 is...

Don't want to deal with signal noise produced by ALL equalizers. Plus the new factory Fusion decks already provide zone control from both the helm and transom. don't want to have to jump in and out of the boat to control volume
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-26-2016, 1:26 AM Reply   
Are the tweeters blown?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-26-2016, 4:43 AM Reply   
The 650s are a bit accentuated in the treble so they're not normally "bland".
Easy enough to cover only the tweeter of a speaker. If the tweeter is operative the change in sound would be obvious.
You can measure the tweeter resistance downstream from the series capacitor to see if the tweeter is 'open'.
Blown? Could be. The SD-6 is serious power. So the correct tuning procedure becomes very important. Hopefully your authorized dealer can take care of you and provide you with detailed instructions.

Last edited by DavidAnalog; 07-26-2016 at 4:49 AM.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-26-2016, 5:42 AM Reply   
I know this doesn't help you but I don't get why you all are paying TOP dollar wet sounds equipment. JL audio.
Old     (btye1)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-26-2016, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post
doesnt solve my problem...

But the reason I dont want a 420 is...

Don't want to deal with signal noise produced by ALL equalizers. Plus the new factory Fusion decks already provide zone control from both the helm and transom. don't want to have to jump in and out of the boat to control volume
My Wetsounds EQ doesn't have any signal noise. If there is signal noise it's because the system was setup wrong.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-26-2016, 6:58 AM Reply   
Mark,

Who tuned the system? Did you do it yourself? SD-6 is a lot of power on XS-650, it can work great when properly tuned. However, improperly tuned, with this much power, you could blow speakers or tweeters. Give my tech guys a call 877-938-7757. Ask or Joe Flores or Robbie. They can walk you through and work with you on a solution.

Red, I am glad your a fan of JL. I know the guys there well. Some of my employees used to work there. One day, you should experience a Wet Sounds system. Our slogan is Hearing is Believing. Maybe then you will understand.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-26-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
I know this doesn't help you but I don't get why you all are paying TOP dollar wet sounds equipment. JL audio.
JL makes a great product, I had it on my previous boat. But all of us have different expectations from our stereos. What may seem like "enough" stereo for some does not even scratch the surface for others.

JL is not enough for me, especially when beached or tied up to 20+ other boats. I want my stereo to cause all of them to turn theirs off.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-26-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
Mark,

Who tuned the system? Did you do it yourself? SD-6 is a lot of power on XS-650, it can work great when properly tuned. However, improperly tuned, with this much power, you could blow speakers or tweeters. Give my tech guys a call 877-938-7757. Ask or Joe Flores or Robbie. They can walk you through and work with you on a solution.

Red, I am glad your a fan of JL. I know the guys there well. Some of my employees used to work there. One day, you should experience a Wet Sounds system. Our slogan is Hearing is Believing. Maybe then you will understand.

Tim
Wet Sounds
I did it myself.

I actually live about 15minutes from WS off the beltway in Houston, could I bring my boat by there?

And I am using a SYN6 amp, not a SD6 amp, my bad.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-26-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
Mark,

Give Joe Flores a call. I sent him the post so he is waiting for your call. We can get you rocking, no prob

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-26-2016, 7:47 AM Reply   
Awesome!!!!

RED, I would love to see JL provide this type of service!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-26-2016, 8:21 AM Reply   
Touché. Can't argue with that.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-26-2016, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
I know this doesn't help you but I don't get why you all are paying TOP dollar wet sounds equipment. JL audio.
I switched to ARC audio for interiors and the look and the sound is much better.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-26-2016, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
I know this doesn't help you but I don't get why you all are paying TOP dollar wet sounds equipment. JL audio.
Out of curiosity, what 2-amp JL audio marine setup would you suggest that would net 400W rms to 2 10" HLCDs and 100W+ rms to 6 6.5" in-boats.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-26-2016, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post
Awesome!!!!

RED, I would love to see JL provide this type of service!


Nice to live that close to them for sure.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-26-2016, 3:39 PM Reply   
Just wanted to let everyone know that Tim and his team, especially Joe really went the extra mile for me today.

I'm lucky that I am so physically close to them. Joe went over my entire stereo and wiring. everything looked good but for some reason 4 of my XS-650's had blown tweeters. Joe replaced them and then properly tuned my stereo!!!

I thought my stereo sounded amazing before.....

But HOLY COW!!!! It freaking screams now!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2016, 4:11 PM Reply   
Good to hear Mark. Glad Tim and the guys were able to help out.

Tim, hurry up and come back up to BC. Cheyne and I need our boats properly tuned as well!.lol.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-26-2016, 4:28 PM Reply   
Mark, Glad to see Joe got you rocking

Dave, Soon! Hopefully in the next 3 or 4. Rod is making progress on the SEMA build! Def gonna get ya'll tuned and rocking. And have a few beers

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-26-2016, 9:05 PM Reply   
Gonna be ready for this SEMA Tim?

RAMZAK, make sure and keep the treble down. You'll get years of service from those speakers if they're tuned and played right.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-26-2016, 9:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
Gonna be ready for this SEMA Tim?

RAMZAK, make sure and keep the treble down. You'll get years of service from those speakers if they're tuned and played right.
Yeah man, the equalizer is set flat across the board and you could not ask for an inkling of anything else. The system is insane now.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-26-2016, 9:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Out of curiosity, what 2-amp JL audio marine setup would you suggest that would net 400W rms to 2 10" HLCDs and 100W+ rms to 6 6.5" in-boats.
Correction: 400W RMS to 4 10" HCLDs.

;-)
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-27-2016, 9:02 AM Reply   
Oh the "marine" equip guy. Gotta have 1 of those guys around just in case you dump water all over your amps.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-27-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Oh the "marine" equip guy. Gotta have 1 of those guys around just in case you dump water all over your amps.
What does that even mean?!?!

Seems like you're trolling, looking for a rise out of someone because you disagree with their choice of stereo equipment?

That's pretty fu*king gay dude
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-28-2016, 6:24 AM Reply   
Lol^ sorry I get bored at work. Like to argue in the interweb. I'm glad the wetsounds guys hooked you up that's dope.
Old     (mschmidt33)      Join Date: Aug 2013       07-29-2016, 9:31 AM Reply   
I have had the same problem with my XS-650's. Are these tweeters rebuildable on your own like REV tower speakers? I guess I turn our radio up too much. Maybe I need an FAE lol.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-29-2016, 4:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt33 View Post
I have had the same problem with my XS-650's. Are these tweeters rebuildable on your own like REV tower speakers? I guess I turn our radio up too much. Maybe I need an FAE lol.
This is by no means a fragile speaker or a fragile tweeter. It's hard for me to understand how much power it would take to blow the tweeter. In fact, I ran nearly 200 watts to each XS650 for several years on display and never had a tweeter fail....and we played the speakers hard and LOUD. But on the flipside, we never entered into what I would call hard distortion. So either you are incorrectly tuned or incorrectly using the speakers. And hard clipping can be difficult to hear, end of day and underway. So a little education, user discipline and system adjustment should put a permanent end to failures. Also, since the tweeter terminals are accessible on the XS650, you could easily add a protective device such as a light bulb.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us