Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-23-2014, 4:24 PM Reply   
Hey everyone! I frequent the board nearly everyday reading everyone's posts and checking out pictures of everyone's rides. I really enjoy this forum and finally created an account.

I have a question. I have a teak swim deck and last spring I sanded it down to get rid of the scuffs and smooth it out. Then I applied Meguire's Teak Oil on it. I applied about one coat a day for the entire week, thinking it'll give it plenty of time to soak in. I wasn't skimpy on it either and liberally coated it when I did. The sad thing is, it looks great after it's all done, but just one trip out on the water and I can see it washing off. At the end of the day when the boat is back on the trailer and the deck is dry, it looks like it did before I put in all the work of oiling it. Do you guys recommend something else? I attached some before and after pics below.
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-23-2014, 7:11 PM Reply   
Looks great there. I am not sure what the average life of teak oil is but I wouldn't be surprised if there is better brands than meguirs. Try Starbrite or Teakwonder.

Also, I am not sure it caused it but I wouldn't have sanded the platform unless it was really really bad. Go look into the 2 or 3 part systems from starbrite and teakwonder. They have a cleaner, brightner and oil. Someone mentioned it in another thread but when you sand you clog the pours of the teak. Especially if you use a fine grit sand paper.
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-23-2014, 8:46 PM Reply   
Wow, I did not know that sanding it could do more harm than good. I'll take a look at those two recommendations. I appreciate it. I know most owners here own newer boats and don't have teak platforms anymore, but I appreciate all the input if any!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-24-2014, 12:02 AM Reply   
It looks great. That bottom picture is how it should look, but even the top one is nice. Mine sits on a buoy on the water all summer and it's at least four weeks in that some of it starts to look duller. Teak logs are very heavy with oil and that is what protects the wood from wet conditions. They normally have to cut down a teak tree a full year before they take it to the mill so that it will dry out and is easier to transport. A freshly cut teak log will sink in water.
You can add oil to the platform anytime you want if it's dry. Just let it soak in and wipe off the excess when it quits absorbing. To open the pores some you can use a brass filament BBQ brush with the grain or Bronze Wool. You can use Stainless Steel wool also but there is more risk of getting a rust colour on the teak over time. You can use Teak Oil or Tung Oil and get a nice finish that should last well. Some Teak Oils are tinted slightly to give a more golden or a darker tone to it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-24-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
A teak platform is not a coffee table and it's not supposed to look like your fine furniture. It should not be sanded. It should be cleaned with wire brush to open the grain. Then oiled. Teak has natural grippy properties. You do not want a slippery platform.
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-24-2014, 11:44 PM Reply   
I appreciate all the input. I can't go back, but I won't be sanding it again. I did find some info on the Starbright teak oil and their three step solution. I will order some of this and give it a try. I'll also post a review if anyone thinks it'll be worth wild.
Old     (MNRIDER)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-30-2014, 5:59 AM Reply   
I used the Starbrite system this winter and it worked great! Clean it, use the system ( wear gloves because it's an acid ) , and apply about 10 - 15 coats of oil. Wipe off the excess oil after each application and it will look fantastic! Also, use a brush to scrub some of the grime off after you apply the acid. Whatever you do, don't do any more sanding. Good luck and have fun!
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-30-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
Teak is supposed to breathe.. If a sealer is used it will rot out.. The oils the wood keep the wood porous.. the teak needs to absorb water also.. Like the anchor says.. it's not apiece of furniture and will fade and whiteup as the water removes the oils.. Its just the property of teak.. when it's wet it looks perfect.. when it's on the trailer is the only time you'll see the fade...

And if you oil it every time you go out, the oil will stain those bikinis that sit on the platform.. and you don't want that!!