Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
Who on here has attempted kite boarding and how do you like it? Thinking of giving it a go.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-29-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
I have been Kiting for a long time. It's a super fun sport. Huge air, unhooked wake tricks & riding waves. There is so much to it.

The kites these days are amazing too. So much easier to get up wind and relaunch when you put them in the water. It has made the spot much safer and easier to learn. Plus you can even go bigger than ever before!

A few pieces of advice:

1st step: Buy a trainer kite and spend lots of time with it to really learn to control it. It will teach you a lot about kite control.
2nd step: Take a lesson from a good shop. This sport can be and has been deadly. One wrong flick of the wrist and you are instantly 15 feet in the air going down wind 50-100 feet or more. You can NOT teach yourself kiteboarding. You might not kill yourself if you try to learn on your own but you might hurt someone else or get a local spot shut down. Kiteboarding is becoming highly regulated and patrolled.

2 main resources for kiting:
iKitesurf.com -They have local wind conditions updated every 15 minutes
Kiteforum.com - a forum fill with opinions from every a$$hole with a kite. Haha

Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a good shop near you. Hit me up if you have any questions about what gear to buy.

Have fun!!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-29-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
Not to derail this thread, but there is a Non-Wakeboarding Discussion that this should probably be in.
Back on track, I'd love to try kiting, it looks like a blast.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-29-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
One more link for ya....

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/

They have a "New To Kiteboarding" tab on their site. Great info there.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-29-2011, 7:29 PM Reply   
"but there is a Non-Wakeboarding Discussion that this should probably be in"
but I kiteboard with my wakeboard so its all good
Old     (doc1)      Join Date: May 2011       07-29-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
Would love to try Kiteboarding would be an absolute blast!!
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-30-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
I tried kite a few years back in a attempt to replace wakeboarding because I didn't have a boat. It was fun, but it didn't do it for me.

Equipment is expensive and you are a slave to the wind that can be somewhat unpredictable. Going up wind can be a pain in the a$$. I like the fact that I can take my boat and ride any place at any time.

The board skills will come natural, but it will take time to understand the kite aspect unless you have windsurf or sailing experience. +1 on taking a lesson.