Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-03-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
2004 X-2 MCX,,,They boys ( 8 & 9 have been dying to go fishing..So I changed the impeller.. Hooked the hoses back up from winterizing..checked everything over... etc.. put on the prop I had reworked by acme back on the boat and went to the lake to test it out (two of the blades the cup didn't look like the others..so i wanted to see if it would vibrate so I could send it back before the season really got started..) Off to the lake we go... cranked right up.. opened the hatch.. just a few drops of water.. nothing major.. everything looked good.. So down the lake we went..(prop did have a little vibration but not bad.. was going to send back anyway..) about a mile or two up the lake I slowed down to check the holeshot of the prop.. noticed water shooting out the side.. thought the boys had messed with the ballast pump switches.. they weren't on.. I know for damn sure I had the plugs in but spun the cover off the floor access and out pours water... ran to the back of the boat and lifted the hatch. Low and behold the water is half way up the engine.. Turned around and gunned it back towards the ramp... Buy the time I got it back it was porpoising bad.. loosing speed and getting slower and slower as we went.. beached it beside the ramp and ran to get the trailer... pushed it back out into the water and the rear was headed towards the bank.. fired it up to stop it and bam...hit a damn rock with the prop..bent the tips of two blades a little bit..but I still had my hand on the key and shut it down. so much for sending that one back huh.. boat started drifting towards the back corner of the trailer.. So I pushed off of the guide pole and be damned I it didn't catch the back corner on the trailer, making two gouges in the gel coat about an inch long each and 1/4 deep on the back of the boat. Finally got the boat on the trailer and pulled the plugs. Turns out the J hose from the water pump up to the thermostat housing split about 4 inches... Said screw it.. grabbed the boys poles and let them fish off of the boat ramp...they ended up catching 16 trout.. two of which were IN long and 10" girth... they had the time of our lives.. Oh the memories from that trip.

So this morning I was surveying the damage.. hose of course split.. have an extra inch of oil on the dipstick..looks like coffee with extra cream.. same for the trans.. Motor didn't overheat as far as I remember. no alarms went off. but I was kinda busy driving and worried about sinking.. I feel confident that the water didn't get past the bottom of the J hose because I could hear it spraying out of the split at the bottom.. Hose appears to have been in good shape. no obvious cracks or dryrot... strange that it blew. I added about a gallon of diesel through the oil fill milky in there too.. and PVC grommet and started draining the oil.. I plan on flushing some more through it once it stops draining. and then add a gallon of diesel to the oil pan and turn it over.. drain and repeat a couple of times then put oil back in.. run for a while till hot and drain it again..

SO ADD ANYTHING I NEED TO CHECK>> DO >>> ETC TO THE LIST... Thanks in advance..}
Old     (rs1071)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-03-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
Same thing happened to me on my 07 X-1. Was cruising around and went wide open and then the bilges came on... I had been driving it around for a bit so I knew it wasn't plugs or anything. Luckily I live on a river with a lift, so I just hauled butt in and put it up on the lift. Didn't pump as much water into it as you did, but it was almost up to the top of the gas tank. Apparently that hose was out for recall by MC. I took it off and they replaced it under warranty; but I was sure glad I wasn't 5 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

It's amazing the volume of water that little impeller pumps.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-04-2008, 5:07 AM Reply   
Did the water level get up to the valve covers? I'd be real concerned about where that water in the oil came from. That large of a split in the hose would starve the engine of it's needed water supply for cooling and possibly allow it to run hot. There is a slight chance you overheated and warped a cylinder head and the engine temp sending unit may not have shown this as they are not accurate with out water around the tip. They dont read hot air real well.

Best of luck with it, i hope no serious damage.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-04-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
I'm curious as to what the thery is behind adding desiel fuel to the oil pan?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
Just a tip: depending on where the split was, you could have killed the engine (to stop the impeller from turning) and let the pump drain the bilge to the water line, then motor back to the dock.

I had to do this once when I forgot to tighten a hose clamp on the back of a riser. Killed the engine, let the pump run the bilge down, then went ahead and buttoned everything down.

Might want to throw some duct tape in the toolkit you should have on the boat. That would have stopped the leak enough to keep you a little more relaxed.

As far as what to do, many have had water in one engine or another. As long as the motor didnt stall (and sometimes even if it did) there is probably no mechanical damage to the internals. Drain the oil, change the filter, run it for a while, then repeat. The trans just needs to be drained as much as possible and refilled.

I would be more concerned about the damage done to the shaft and prop, though at the RPM you were using it is probably fine. Things like shaft alignment, bushing, shaft strut and bushing, etc.

Diesel is an old trick to try to displace the water from internals.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-04-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Yeah.. hindsight is 2020... at one point I started to beach it at the only beach on the lake.. but it was only a half mile or so to the ramp so I kept going.. was worried about the kids more at the time.. Duct tape is definitely goin in the toolkit.. Motor never did shut off on its own.. didn't miss either so I feel like there was no internal damage done..only thing that I am unsure about is the way it was bogging down.. either it was the extra weight or the computer going into limp mode.. hoping the oil came in mostly through the bottom of the dipstick .. don't think i hurt the driveline,, just barely curled two blade tips.. I don't plan on running the motor on diesel,, just pumping it through the motor with the starter.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-04-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
make sure you pull a wire off the distributor before you spin it with diesel.

So, water in the oilpan and transmission. The tranny got wet from the breather on top. The engine, is quite a different story. is there an obvious explanation on how water got in the pan???
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
It's possible it got high enough to get in from the slinging of it by the pulley system. My entire engine compartment was covered in water when I had my occurence.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on April 04, 2008)
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-04-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
I'm on the third gallon of diesel..cranking with coil wire off... oil has gone from thick creamed coffee to pink milk and flows alot faster... looking alot better.. I know it would probably take forever just flushing it with the diesel .. so I am going to fill with cheap oil and warm the motor up to burn of any remnants of the water.. Will keep you posted... PS... Dealers and Napa wanted 40$ for the hose... skidim had it for 27.. same thing..

Steve,,, How did your motor turn out..
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       04-04-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
This sounds like something that happened to me on my 02 SAN. I would venture to say you have a piece of impeller schrapnel that has made it up into the engine and its lodged in the thermostat housing. This is blocking water flow through the thermostat and causing huge back pressure on the J-hose. I went through 3 J-hoses before I finally drove my boat to the dealer so they could fix it for me. If you get a new J-hose and then start the boat at the house you will notice the J-hose(even at idle)is pressurized. This only increases when you are checking hole shot response. The J-hose has a spring inside so it does not collapse and has fiber threads inside the rubber so they should not blow like yours did. You definatly have a problem... I would also make sure your new impeller is still good.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-04-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
so water went thru the crank seal in the front?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-04-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
Over the years I have been boating (more than I care to admit) I have been involved in a number of cases of engines getting a bit deep in water. Once from a boat that completely sank and several times from swamping or "plug errors".

In every case the starter has been a problem. Not right away, but a month or so later it will start acting up, get worse and finally die.

If the alternator got too wet it might suffer as well.

As for how the water got into the engine: Is this a V-drive? If the engine is in the back, and the water was half way up the engine when you were sitting still in the water it would get a lot deeper when you started going and the bow comes up.

Rod
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-04-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
Good point Rod about the water level rising up to the K&N while under way... I wonder if some of the water was slowly making its way into the throttle body and causing some of the bog.. I do plan on pulling the thermostat housing and checking it in a bowl of water to make sure it didn't go bad and cause backpressure.. I just hope the starter holds up.. and that the water that might of made it into the engine didn't do any major damage.. The motor still sounded good when I went to put it on the trailer. Its raining here so maybe the sun will come out in a day or two... Hose came today..so thats a good thing.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-05-2008, 5:10 AM Reply   
I had a friend with an 07 MC X1 and it happened to him three times(two hoses the first time,then after they replaced those hoses,another that they didnt replace burst the next time out..) ..this must have been some bad hoses that MC bought that year??
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-05-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
They did have a bad batch of J hose. The dealer in Atlanta told me they had to call all of their customers and have them bring their boat in. But supposedly it only affected O7 models.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-06-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Just pulled the thermostat housing off.. lots of corrosion but not blocked off... dropped the thermostat down in boiling water.. opened up.. so that takes away the stuck thermostat, overpressure theory. I plan on replacing it anyway just to be on the safe side. I am going to bead blast the housing inside to remove the rust scale too.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-06-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Our boat did the same thing when I left the bungs out and filled up the floor space, ran rough, then died, she had sucked water into the bores from the wake coming over the back and pouring onto the motor when we hit a couple of rollers that stopped her dead.

The oil didn't emulsify straight away though, but we hadn't run the motor before doing the first oil change.

Took nearly 20 litres of oil and 3 filters to get it golden again.

New starter went in a couple of weeks later, sounds like the water was higher in the engine bay of your boat than ours too, but it's hard to tell.

Good luck hope it turns out OK for ya
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-06-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
Just pulled the transmission filter .. boat has 130 hours and evidently it had never been cleaned due to the paint around it wasn't broken.. I found five or six spiral metal shavings inside it.. looks like the kind of spirals that would result from machining on a drill press. No evidence of smaller metal shavings like wear would produce. I am hopeing and feel pretty confident they were leftovers from machining at the factory.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
bump
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-09-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Finally satisfied with the color of the diesel I was flushing through the motor.. So I put in fresh oil and ran the boat in the driveway to get it up to operating temp.. everyhing seems to be ok with the motor..Plan on changing out the oil a couple of time more to be sure..

After reaching temp I put it in gear to raise rpm to listen for anything different. Engine sounded fine... But transmission was quiet at first then started a high pitch screech ... I had sucked most of it out and filled with oil... but pulled the dipstick and it was really milky.. I hadn't pulled the cooler lines and drained them so I assume it pushed the new oil through the lines and mixed it with the water that was left in them.. I plan on draining the lines and sucking out the trans again tomorrow.. God I hope it stops screeching after that.. But who knows... my luck I burned up the clutches trying to get it back to the dock.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-09-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
You trans was squeaky bc it was in the driveway. The noise you heard was probably the bushing being run dry. You shouldn't spin the drive shaft in a dry strut like that. Disconnect the coupler next time.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-09-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
thanks for the help Steve... I had the seat out and sounded like the trans to me... wife was at the back of the boat on the ground and said it sounded like it was coming from the prop ... I wonder if I lubed the bushing with PB Blast while I ran the transmission if it would be ok.. If not I will disconnect the coupler....
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-09-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
DISCONECT THE COUPLER!!!! You are running it dry and it is smoking the packing. The packing is means to be we by lake water.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-10-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
Disconnecting the coupler take a few minutes. Changing a ruined strut bushing takes a few hours, and requires the removal of the coupler. Just disconnect it and be secure.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-10-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks guys... went out and disconnected the coupler. Transmission sounds fine.. Thanks for the quick responses that kept me from doing more damage.. Still has water in it... I guess I will just keep sucking and refilling with atf untill it clears up. then put oil back in..
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-10-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Toys, try putting it in reverse to get more water out of the trans.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-10-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
I went and bought a three quart oil suction tank at Lowes.. worth every penny of the 35 dollars.. I had been doing it with a oil remover that was like a big syringe from carquest... other one works alot better. Drained the oil out again and left the trans filter cover off.. I'm going on vacation for a week.. maybe some of it will evaporate while I am gone..