Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
Parents bought a place up in Big Bear a month or so back, we are spending 4th of July weekend up there, plan on getting there Thursday afternoon and getting out on the 4th and the 5th for an early morning session, plan on hanging until late on the 4th for the fireworks. Anybody else going to be there and want to hook up that morning or on the 5th? This will be our first weekend up there with the boat.

I was hoping to run into some local boarders. I know in the future I will be looking for thirds or other boats to hang with.

Cheers!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
On this same general subject, can anyone recomend a good marina or public launch in Big Bear? I know there is a few, was hoping to find one that is the least hassle.
Old    dbdynsty25            06-30-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Actually, there is only one public launch up in Big Bear right now. That's my home lake. I've got a cabin up there that I hit a couple weekends a month. The north side of the lake has the only public launch that I'm aware of that's open. The water level is killing most of the ramps up there. They used to have 4 ramps, now they are down to 1 public because the water level is down 12 feet. Couple more feet and then it's gonna be really tough to launch anywhere.

The Big Bear marina has one too but it costs 10 bucks to launch there. We keep our boat in the Dock Club marina, just east of the BB Marina that way we don't have to launch at all. We've got a lift to keep it out of the water and when we want to go out, just drop it in the water and go. If you plan on going out all the time, it's highly recommended.

You definitely have to get out early at big bear though...it gets choppy as hell towards the middle of the day. Also if you do go out in the middle of the day...go to the west side, by the damn. It's the calmest over there because the lake is protected from the wind on that side.

I'd invite you to go out with us this weekend, but we're gonna have a full house on the boat. Everyone is going up to the cabin with thier significant others so we'll have about 10 strong. Only 5 of us board though but the boat will be damn full.

If you've got any other questions, hit me up.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
Actually we will have our boat up there this weekend. Tige' 22I, lime green, with a gray tower, it's hard to miss. It will be pretty full in the afternoon, but the morning session will only have 4 or so aboard.

We rented a pontoon boat from Big Bear Marina too, for the evening on the 4th, to tie up to and fit more people out there. We have it rented from 6PM until after the fireworks.

Hey Scott where do they fire the fireworks from, what part of the lake? That public ramp you mentioned, is it at the North East part of the lake? We are in Moonridge, near Bear Mountain or very close to the golf course, so that is the closer end of the lake for us. How much is a season pass for the lake? Sorry for all the questions but any feedback is appreciated.

I did look into getting a slip for the season up there, but the ones I found did not have a lift. If I knew there was one with a lift I would have been very interested. I will have to look into it. The boat is brand new so I couldn't get myself to let it sit in the water all season.

If you see us out there wave us down, like I said I would like to find some local boarders to hang with. We will probably be the only lime green Tige' out there, I have yet to see a similar one.
Old    dbdynsty25            06-30-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Yeah I don't think I've ever seen a lime green Tige' up there. I'll definitely be on the lookout. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of boarders up there at all actually. Usually you see stupid inner tubes or whatever. I've only seen a handful of boarders up there the last couple weeks. Maybe it'll pick up as the season goes along.

I'm not sure how much the pass was for the season because it's my father's boat so he paid for it.

None of the marinas have lifts put in already, we had to buy it. You're right though, you can't just leave the boat in the water. Our Larson is brand new as well, so we definitely wanted to get it out of the water, but without the hassel of launching, it makes it even better.

Yes, the launch ramp is on the northeast corner of the lake, kind of by the dam. Just go across the dam from Moonridge and make a right and you'll run right into it a little ways down the road.

We don't have a tower or anything on our boat because we're still just learning surface tricks and whatnot. Still new to the sport as of now. Maybe next year we'll be adding a monster tower or at least a pylon.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
Scott, thanks for the info, look us up Friday or Saturday early AM. I will give you a pull behind our boat with the the tower, then you can see if it's worth it for your boat.

Cheers

Now I am just hoping I don't suck to much air in the high altitude uggghhhhh
Old    dbdynsty25            06-30-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
Yeah the altitude is good times. It definitely effects you the first couple sessions but then you get used to it. By the 2nd day you'll be cool with it but you do tire a bit more easily. Sessions get cut down by about 5-10 min as compared to sea level.

I'll flag ya down if I see ya. Have a good weekend up there if I don't.
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-30-2003, 9:10 PM Reply   
hey guys, im gonna be up there at my uncles place friday and saturday. if you guys have room in the am i'd like to ride since i doubt we're bringing the boat up.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2003, 6:12 AM Reply   
Have any of you wandered back into Mallard Lagoon lately? We are thinking of renting a house on the Lagoon for a week later this month or early next month. The house has a two-boat dock, but we are a little concerned with the water level so low that we will not be able to get the boat in and out of there safely.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 8:24 AM Reply   
David, sure thing. Shoot me an e-mail on the one listed on my profile. Would be glad to give you a pull. I am hoping to get out by 7AM or so. Are you familar with the lake? I am wondering if the Big Bear Marina is open that early for launching, I assume so, especially on a major weekend. I am going to give them a call.

Mallard Lagoon, I am not sure, if you tell me where it is I will take a swing by there this weekend and check it out for you.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
Unless things have changed, keep in mind there is an ordinance (that is enforced) setting a speed limit of 5 mph until 7am. Apparently the local homeowners don't like "loud" boats going up and down the lake at dawn. Ridiculous.

Mallard Lagoon is the lagoon on the same side as Holloways between Holloways and the central area and marina. Hard to describe but if you are just cruising around just follow the shoreline and you'll see it. Its entrance is in a sort of long indentation on that side. No big deal at all if you cant' find it. Don't go out of your way. The house we are looking at is on the left side of the lagoon and in a little ways.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
Well hopefully we are not hung over and are ready to drop some bombs at 7AM. Do you think the local homeowners would mind me blasting my stereo with three amps, 2 - 10s etc etc at 7am? LOL There goes the neighborhood!!!! Damm Orange County A**H***S are out again, ruining our peace and quiet LOL Nahh we will be cool, well at least until 8AM......

We have the perfect CD for times like that, DJ Irene.......It starts out with the following message with a very serious voice "this should be played at high volume, preferably in a residential neighborhood" then followed up by a huge bomb blast, the subs cover it perfect LOL and then a ranting crack head chick voice comes on yelling about things I won't say on this board LOL turns heads, most think it's very funny.....others would rather call the swat team and have us arested LOL I don't blame them really LOL

I will definetly cruise by that cove, we are launching right around the corner from it.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
LOL Jonathan.

In defense of the homeowners, I do have to say that lakefront homes are expensive and the lake is a very peaceful place in the early morning. I would probably be irritated, for example, by one of those insanely loud jet boats racing back in front of my home at 6am. On the other hand, I love to ride at dawn so this irritates me to no end!

I appreciate the offer to cruise by the cove. There is a sign at the entrance to the lagoon that says "Mallard Lagoon, NO WAKE" or something to that effect, so you'll definitely no you are there when you are there.

Have a great time. I love that lake/area and can't wait to get back up there again. Let me know the current water temp if you happen to find out as well! Thanks!
Old    dbdynsty25            07-01-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
Andre it's in the low 60's. Perfect with a neoprene shirt as I found out last weekend. You could probably get away with just shorts if you're so inclined.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
I agree with you. 7AM is plenty early, yes they are expensive, we looked at some before my parents decided to get one up in Moon Ridge. I am definetly yanking your chain on the music thing LOL We are mellow in the morning, usually coffee get's us pumped for those sessions LOL But afternoon we will have some fun with the tunes and the night of the 4th. I can't wait to be cruising out there for the fireworks, this will be our first time up there with the boat watching them.

I will update you when I get back.

Cheers
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
ughhhhh Low 60's, I was really wishing it would get to the high 60s. Man I am spoiled, usually where we ride it's in the mid to high 70s. Oh well, I think I will bring my spring suit and an XLG coffee!
Old    dbdynsty25            07-01-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
It's weird though...three weekends ago when I was there I wore my spring suit and I just don't like wearing wet suits, so I just threw on the shirt and I was fine. My buddy and girlfriend all boarded as well and neither were cold. It's not as bad as it seems. When you're up at altitude, the sun is hotter so the water feels damn good.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
I need to get one of those neoprene shirts, especially if I am going to be up there a lot. I do agree though, we have been up there without the boat a few times lately and the sun is pretty intense, even though it's only in the low 80s, high 70s.
Old    dbdynsty25            07-01-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
I really can't imagine the water getting much warmer than it is now. I mean it gets down into the low 50's at night so it's still pretty cool outside. Go pick up one of those shirt for like 50 bucks and you'll be golden.

I was just there last weekend too and that's all I wore and I was fine. It definitely beats putting on a spring or full suit. Plus you can lend it out without worrying about people warming the water in it.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
No kidding, I am the only one who can warm up my wetsuit LOL Serious let me know if you want to meet for a pull in the morning. We are going to launch at Big Bear Marina, we are picking up the pontoon boat there later in the afternoon to tie up to for the fireworks. You can meet us there in the AM.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
Hey Scott, do you have any idea what it costs for an annual pass on Big Bear Lake? I will have to pick one up that morning.
Old    dbdynsty25            07-01-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
Hey thanks for the offer man but I'd only ruin your experience. I've only been boarding for like 2 months so I still suck. It's not fun when you gotta double back every 20 seconds to pick up the fallen rider. Maybe later on this summer I'll take you up on it. I've gotta at least be able to stay up for a reasonable amount of time and be able to hit a few tricks before I'd put someone else besides my buddies, who are learning too, through my learning process.

I definitely will look for you though and say what's up if I see that lime green tige' out there.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
Oooops I forgot, I was thinking David from an earlier post, I got you mixed up. You have your own boat up there, but I did offer you a pull either way. No problem at all, my 2 buddies that are with me up there are beginers too. For one this will be his first time for any board sport, the other has surfed many years, but still new to Wakeboarding.

Look for us around the dam area those two mornings. Like I said I am trying to run into other boarders to hang with when we are up there.

Old    dbdynsty25            07-01-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
Yeah, after I get a bit better then maybe I'll take you up on the offer.

For the annual boat pass it's 60 bucks.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
Thanks again! Maybe see you out on the water!

Cheers
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Andre,

Here is the update on Big Bear and Mallard Lagoon. I think we hit the right cove, but in general the water level is really low, pretty much all the houses have their docks 50 to even 100 feet out from where they usually are, some didn't look like they had that option and they did not have acces to their dock at all. So you better check with who you are renting from to see if they do. Regardless the ones that did have their boats on their docks were sitting in some cases in a couple of feet of water. If you are not in one of the coves, and even if you are, the low water is pushing the docks towards the 5 mph bouyes, so the boats look like they are taking a beating from the rollers.

But out on the lake in general was not a real problem, with a major exception of they now only have 1 boat launch for the entire lake. Even the Big Bear Marina is now closed to all but their annual renters. Even then you had to forge through a 2 foot deep area to get out.

The 4th was awesome out there, the fireworks show was very nice, but after, was total gridlock, imagine about 150 boats all trying to pull out on one 2 1/2 lane boat ramp. It was so bad my buddy and I pulled into a lagoon and spent the night on the boat. Figured we would rather sip Mai Tai's in a cove and pass out, than fight what looked like a mad max movie for 3 to 4 hours. We woke up to the nicest Butta I have ever seen, it was to much for us to take, we ended up getting a 7am session without an observer, with only the die hard fishermen as witnesses! Priceless!!!
Old    dbdynsty25            07-07-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
Jon,

Didn't see you out there man. No lime green Tige's to be seen. Only saw a Orange one.

The lake was really nice till about 9am, then it turns into choppy crap. On Sunday I decided to sleep in and then try to get a few sets in later in the afternoon....definitely didn't happen. With my finless Helix it was hell. Caught edges all over the place with all the chop. Fri. and Sat. morning were gravy though.

That gridlock on the lake on 4th of July was a nightmare. We own a spot at the Dock Club so we just chilled in there on our lift and watched the show. Just hopped out of the boat and then sat in Traffic for about an hour on Big Bear Blvd. so yeah...you got it right...shoulda just stayed on the boat that night.

Glad you had a good time man. I warned you about that 1 ramp though. Hopefully this winter the cycle will change back to filling the lake instead of emptying it.

Water temp was alright eh? Just wore the neoprene shirt again and I was golden.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
Yeah, water temp was not a problem, I picked up some Jet Pilot shorts at Chicks. Ok no jokes about using PWC gear LOL Anyway they have a neopreme lining in them. Keeps the nads warm! That plus my Hyperlite Neopreme vest kept me warm. I got temp readings from 66 to 70 depending on where you were on the lake.

Yeah we were out all day Friday literly 24 hours LOL and the morning on Saturday. That was it, was burned out to hit it on Sunday.

Actually Friday in the afternoon "after we got some decent water in the morning by the dam" we boarded over on the East side of the lake, maybe around 11 or 12. Was not too bad, the water is a little shallow there, but that area right at the end stayed pretty decent, well at least in between boats cruising through there, for the afternoon session. We just kept making a circle and staying in that little cove in front of the East launch and beach.

Yeah I dropped my parents and wife off at Big Bear Marina that night before my buddy and I headed to the cove to kick back and sleep. It took them an hour and a half to get back to their cabin. One hour just to get out of the parking lot!

The Dock Club looked like a good place to keep your boat, we stopped by there that afternoon looking for a slip for the night of the 4th, yeah right. They said they don't offer slips for the night, even though they say they do on their web-site. LOL After the launch thing we knew that night we would probably be sleeping on the boat if we didn't find a slip.

Well next time let's hook up, we will probably be there in two weeks again.

Cheers

Old    dbdynsty25            07-07-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
Yeah, the Dock Clubs owners were really strict this weekend. People couldn't even park in their lot to watch the fireworks. If you owned a slip, you could have 2 cars, if you rented you could have only 1. They were turning guys away left and right all weekend, so it was a hassel for us to even get in there. I don't think they had anymore slips anyway. They all were full from what I could tell. They are expanding to have twice as many here pretty soon.

It's definitely a good place to keep the boat because it is really calm in there, regardless of the lake conditions. We got a lift so it would keep the boat out of the water, but even the ones that were sitting in the water don't bang against the docks like most of the other marinas on BBL. Not to mention they've got the nicest docks that you can actually walk on with bare feet and not get a bunch of splinters in your foot.

They are kind of expensive, but if you're looking for a good place to keep your boat for the summer, the Dock Club is the way to go.

There's nothing wrong with Jet Pilot stuff...I've got my neo vest from them and it's great. Prolly didn't see you cuz I was on the south shore most of the time boarding. Seemed like the least chop...even though it was pretty choppy everywhere after 9.

I'm sure I'll be going up almost every weekend all summer, even though it's a 3 hour drive from my place. It's definitely worth it. Especially not having to worry about launching the boat anymore. Just drop it from the lift and go. Can't beat it, especially with only one ramp open.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
Yeah I bet, I am jealous LOL the lift is key, very nice. To make the launching thing even worse is that lanch has a limited amount of parking. It might not be a problem on any other weekend, but even at 7am on the 4th we had to launch and then park a mile away, then pick up our buddy off a dock, after he walked about a half mile from where he parked.

Hope the water is higher next year and that it doesn;t get to much worse this year. Might not have anywhere to launch.
Old    dbdynsty25            07-07-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
Yeah, even at the dock club you gotta cruise into the cove with the engine all the way up. It's only about 2.5 feet of water at the entrance. They were talking about digging it out some more so it is a little more manageable.

I'd imagine that even on a normal weekend that ONE ramp is going to be a madhouse. Even if there are only like 30 boats on the lake it still is going to take those guys a while to get on and off if there are only two loading/unloading lanes on the ramp. The 'drought' part of the cycle should be over this year and the level should start to go up a bit...hope so anyway.

I even heard a rumor or two of them pumping some water into the lake. I mean the lake is the entire economic system for the city during the summer. If the boaters go, so does the city. Hope it all works out for them.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-07-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
My neighbor was there fishing and she said that someone died there this weekend. Apparently he was at the S.S. Relief and was a first time boater and didn't tie the boat up and it drifted away and he swam for it with no vest and ended up drowning. What a shame, another tragic weekend.
Old    dbdynsty25            07-07-2003, 11:46 AM Reply   
Yeah, that was actually on Thursday that it happened.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
Yeah we actually had to help some kids at Halloway's Marina. We were kicking back tied up while someone ran to pick up a few things from the store and these kids probably 16 years old who were paddling a rented canoe flipped it over. There vests were not on and went all over the place, a full on yard sale. Anyway one kid was cool but the other one starting panicing and screaming like crazy while he was majorly flaundering around. If we did not untie and cruise over to him I think it could have been a very bad situation. We pulled them in the boat and over to a nearby dock, the kid was so shakin up that he would not get back in to the canoe. Another boater ended up taking him back to the marina they rented the boat from while his buddy paddled it alone back, with a life vest.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-07-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the information, guys. Doesn't sound promising for us. Too bad, because that is one of my favorite spots anywhere. Maybe next year.