Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (arsenuts411)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
I HAVE BEEN RIDING WITH FINS AND WAS JUST WONDERING ON HOW MANY PEOPLE RIDE WITH FINS OR TAKE THEM OFF. ANY ADVANTAGES TO EITHER?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-10-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
do you normally type in all caps?

Fins will keep your board more locked in and can make it easier to edge.

Finless will let you play around on the board a little more and allow you to do more surface tricks without having to break the fins loose.

a lot of people i know go to a smaller fin size from what you get when you buy the board which kinda bridges the gap
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
I have 2 skates that I ride finless
1 skate with fins
and 1 wakeboard with molded fins
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-10-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
I ride without them, my boards (Watson and Stance) have enough control with just the moulded fins. It's pretty much up to your preference try both and see what you like. They're not hard to remove or put back on.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
I prefer no fins, but it seems like a lot of the pros prefer a board that rides tight on the water.
Old     (deafgoose)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
I was having a hard time with surface tricks and got really frustrated until I removed my fins.

Whoa! Talk about a night/day difference.

Finless 4 life!
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-10-2008, 11:14 PM Reply   
shane with fins. i find it pretty loose with and have no probs doing surface tricks. so wouldnt bother taking them off.
Old    alanp            08-10-2008, 11:35 PM Reply   
i ride with fins for more hold and i can i think it helps ride out of some sketchy landings
Old     (arsenuts411)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
Ya I do notice that sometimes that without the fins I would have slid out a few times I may try it and see how I like it
Old     (skatehawk11)      Join Date: May 2008       08-11-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
i think it depends alot on your preference and also what the setup on the bottom of your board is. I ride an LF witness without the fins but then again i still have 4 small molded fins that help me edge. I still prefer a much looser board though.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
I ride my Marius finless and that is the only way I will ride it anymore. The first time I took them off it was a little uncomfortable at first but once I got used to it I loved it. It also teaches you proper edging.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
With board technology today, there is little reason to have center fins in. I would actually go the opposite of Alan and say that removing center fins allows for sketchy landings to be pulled out, it gives more freedom and more room to make mistakes. I told a guy who had been trying rolls for a year to take his center fin out, he landed next try. Not like it was everything, but he thinks it was (and that I'm brilliant). It allowed him more leeway to try and ride it out.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-11-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
ROAM BOARD!! I guess I can say I hate fins.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
I use only the molded fins on my Motive when on the cable. But I use the Motive with center fins behind the boat. It grips great on the 19MPH cable, but gets a little slippery at 23.5.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-11-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I rode my faction finless on the cable, haha that was a little slick since it's a four fin setup, once those fins are off I was sliding and surface spinning so easy though.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-11-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Depends on how you like the ride, and which board. Molded side fins like the substance I rode w/o fins. I ride my One w/ fins.
Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-11-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
no fins on the new 08 watson limited
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-11-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
Jason's right on ^^^^^^^. I rode my Premier finless, however, my Covin, i ride with the outside fins.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
If it's a center fin I definte;y go finless. If it's outer fins I use small ones, but def fins
Old     (skatehawk11)      Join Date: May 2008       08-11-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
who needs a center fin anyway!!!???
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-11-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
randall rides with 3 fins that are over an inch on each side of the board for a total of 6 fins. i used to be a total fan of finless and rode the roam as my only board. i switched it up this year and can now say that fins are my friends
Old     (arsenuts411)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
yea I am riding the ronix covin with the outside fins so there is no center fin.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-11-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
then there is no more question. keep em on. any 4 (bolt-on) fin deck like that is not built to ride finless.
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
Tom, I disagree. It is still primarily a matter of comfort and taste. For example, I ride my Covin with fins behind the boat (for the same reason as Alan said, but A-Dub def has a point there, too), and without fins on the cable, cause it is a day/night difference for surface tricks, and the edging is actually the same if you have the proper technique (though maybe you notice a difference on the switch TS edge, depending on your skills). And the Covin has barely any bottom features, and just two side-fins on each side.

The best thing is to try for yourself. I used to never like it when my board was too loose. Now, I put the fins on/off depending on my mood.
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
Oh, yeah:

Joe, two thumbs up for that cartoon!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
Randall rocks 1 inch deep fins? Dang! Helps explain his mach speed into the wake.
Old     (skelley19)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-14-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
If your board has molded in side fins and you use proper edge technique then you shouldn't need the center fin. I rode my PS3 finless the first time out of the box and never felt the need to even try it with the fins on. I definitely agree that the lack of a center fin can give you some extra leeway if your landings aren't perfect, especially on spins.

You should try it out and see what works best for you but I honestly think taking the center fin out will force you to edge correctly and make you a better rider. It might feel sketchy at first but after a run or two i bet you'll be happy you made the switch.
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-14-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
wait a second! when you have a board that has molded -in fins and a center fin but you take out the center fin, do you call that board finless now? I dont. I always a thought a finless board was exactly that....completely devoid of any fin shape on the bottom. That is, a flat bottom entirely.

is this right?
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-14-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Protag, please don't encourage the Umali!
Old     (skelley19)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-14-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Johan, i would say technically you are right, a board with molded in fins really isn't riding finless. But how many boards made over the past few years other than flex boards don't have molded in fins? I know plenty of board have bolt on side fins but i don't think many people are riding those boards with the fins off unless they are hitting sliders.