Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-27-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
Just wondering who all is having issues with stress cracks in there gel coat around where your tower is mounted to boat.
Old    leggester            02-27-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
Nope
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-27-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
Nope

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-27-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   

Thats a good thing me niether but I have a friend that has a AIR WARRIOR big time stress cracks.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
None here
Old    leggester            02-27-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
Who mounted the tower? I'd be willing to bet it's a bad mount job.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
None here.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-27-2003, 2:11 PM Reply   
I had them on a factory mounted tower on my x-5. Warranty covered the repair.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-27-2003, 2:44 PM Reply   

..His is in for repair as we speak, dealer installed tower, they are fixen everything for him he said.
Old    buttskimmer            02-27-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
Not I
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-27-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
Do heim joints make a difference in no stress cracks??Looking at towers for an old nauti and want to make sure I dont ruin the hull
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2003, 5:55 PM Reply   
better add some meat to the glass around the area where you plan to mount the legs and add large surface area back plates.
Ive got a question from those who DONT have stress cracks forming: What are the conditions you run in, we often cross the bay with 2-3' swells and larger when large boats pass? With boards and speakers up that is alot of weight shaking around up there. During the summer we have to go in search of water that is worth getting in to board, so many boats and the wind causes waves from 10-4 at least in the main areas.
Old    turtle            02-27-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
I was told this, the holes that go into the hull need to be countersunk. (Into the gelcoat)
Old    turtle            02-27-2003, 6:23 PM Reply   
http://www.13thfloortowers.com/Installation%20Manuals/Tower%20Installation%20Manual.pdf
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-19-2003, 9:58 PM Reply   
I've been trying to figure this out the best I can and so far I think:

1) The older towers that are 1-1/2" diameter tube or smaller with welded on base plates caused a lot of problems but all the newer designs with larger tubing and flexible bases have not been a problem.

2) People jumping off of towers, doing gymnastics or riding on towers is really bad for your gelcoat.

3) The really low end boats (chopped glass layup) have a lot more problems than all the ski boats and higher end boats (SeaRay, Chapparel, etc) becuase they are a lot thinner.

4) Pulling the newer galactic 4-8 person tube vessels should not be done from a tower.

The maximum stress a wakeboarder was able to put on a tower from testing we did was about 350lb. This cound not be much of a problem for any boat if the tower base can flex with the movement of the tower.

Bill
www.MonsterTower.com
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-19-2003, 10:06 PM Reply   
Jeff,

"Heim Joints" are a cool name for rod end bearings and they do help becuase then the base that mounts to the boat can only PUSH or PULL against the base and can not TWIST it. Titan was the company we felt had done the best job in this area but many are moving to in with their 2003 designs.

Turtle,

Countersinking (actually Chamfering) the hole is a real good idea. Can't hurt and can only help and it's easy. If the hole into the boat is 3/8", just run a 1/2 or larger bit to open it up with an angle (email me if you want me to send pics)

It's also a very good idea to put silicone sealant down to make sure water does not go under the base and into the fiberglass. It's not very likely to happen, but it would cause the gelcoat to dimple.

Bill
www.MonsterTower.com
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-19-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
i would like to challenge the 350 lb force (stress is measured in psi or Pa by the way)

I am 280 lb and I am certain I could load a tower with more than 350 lb especially on a fall where i hang on too long or what not.

by the way no stress cracks on my ride either.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-19-2003, 11:33 PM Reply   
The key is that the tower needs to have Heim Joints. The Heim joints can move in any direction and that takes the stress off of the hull. Boss, Skylon, Titan, and Wake Designs all use heim joints for that reason.

Mike Hellweg
Wakeside.com
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2003, 4:55 PM Reply   
why dont large fishing boats that run in open seas have heim joints(rod ends) on their fishing towers??
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
I can't really answer that question, but I think that a wakeboarder can put a tremendous short-term stress on the tower that pulls from side to side. The Heim Joints allow the tower to move slightly from side to side so that the hull doesn't take stress.

There is a reason that Boss, Skylon, Titan, and Wake Designs have all gone to the heim joint. It works!
Old     (riothepimp)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-22-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
Ahh, stress cracks. Hey guys it is all in the mounting system, first of all the installers should chamfer the hole after drilling them this will prevent spyder cracks around the hole, and after that you are relying on the mounting system to take up some of the flex. Remeber all boats flex and twist in the water, you may not see it but they do some more tan others. THE MOUNTING SYSTEM.

Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-22-2003, 7:49 PM Reply   
Sorry about the error of using stress when it should have been force (It was late, no . . .I was tired, no . . . I forgot, no . . )

Check out http://www.inboardtalk.com/tower/tower.html and see the stress analysis link at the bottom. In summary with a load cell being used to measure the exact force, and advanced skier was pulled through a slalom course and the force on the rope never got over 600 lbs, certainly pulls a boat around much more than a wakeboarder and would not expect a wakeboarder force to be this high.

This resulted in a 300 lb downward and 50 lb rear force at the rear legs (with a 2" x 3" base plate the sress on the deck is 50 psi). The front legs are less of a concern since the force is UP but it is the place where reinforcing the underside of the boat is most important.

If your building a tower for a fishing boat they have mounts both on the floor and side of the boat/console so the issue of side stresses are well covered. It would be the same as mounting the tower to the floor of the boat and then having additional mounts on the inside at the top of the gunwale.

I agree with the use of Heim Joint which is why we chose to use them on the Monster Tower. This is even more important on a universal tower often going on boats that were made with chopped glass and not hand laid like higher end boats.

Heim joints make sure the force can not torque or twist the mount, and most of the tower builders have gone to them, especially for universal towers.

Thats my opinion but I could be wrong.

Bill
www.MonsterTower.com
Old    blackhawk            03-22-2003, 8:33 PM Reply   
I plan on building a tower per "Wakeboardin"'s drawings. Where can I get heim joints. I will probably use 2" stainless steel tubing. also, what wall thickness should I use? Thanks.

Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-23-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
Nato,

The Heim joints are really just Rod End Bearings that have been around longer than any of us. The Heim joint moniker is only used in this market, I guess to make them sound expensive!

Below is a link to National Rod Ends, check out http://www.nationalrodends.com/prodmedia/msm.pdf for a PDF of the commonly used ones. You can probably buy them at Grainger.com or McMaster.com for like $10 - $30 each depending on what type (zinc coated vs stainless vs Teflon lined, etc).

Good luck and post a link to the drawings you found, I have'nt see those.

Please post up some pic's of your tower when your done. There have been some awesome towers people built posted up here in the past.

Good luck and shoot me an e-mail if I can be of help.

Bill
www.MonsterTower.com