Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (sinister_designs)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
I'm 5'8" 190lbs

I have a bad knee and need a new soft landing board & bindings

I currently have a '01 140 belmont with '02 byerly's

thanks in advance
jason
Old     (okcrashhighlight)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
I have really liked the landing on the Watson. The Lyman is also supposed to have a deep concave, and a huge mid spine that displaces the water really well so you get that soft landing.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-04-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
if you want to stick with continuous rocker, try the cwb marius.

if you want to check a 3-stage rocker (will take you more up than out in the flats), check out the liquid force shane.

both boards have super soft landings. and you don't even have to land tail-heavy!
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
The new LF Trip is also a soft landing continuous board.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-04-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I think the CWB Transcend is the softest landing board I've ever ridden.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-04-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Try a Moose !!!!!
Fatest air ,
Softest landings
Old     (sinister_designs)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
I forgot to ask would I notice a big difference from my current board? It lands ok wake to wake but is quite hard when out into the flats, do bindings make much difference.

Jason
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Landing wake to wake is almost always gonna be a softer landing than taking it to the flats. The boards that some of the guys have listed above like the marius, shane, lyman all have features on the bottom of the board that help break the water especially in the flats to soften the landing.

And yes bindings matter. Some people think more than the board. I good pair of bindings can make riding a lot more enjoyable, therefore allowing you to ride longer.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-04-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
I would get an O'brien Natural or a Coda! They land like butta!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-04-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
As for bindings:
Currently you at least have a "double-deckered" foot bed. Those started being used around 2000.
I remember reading in the past that byerly's foot beds were a little more "dense" than the other hyperlite boots (i don't know if that still holds true today)

Some people will swear by one brand over another. I personally have liked hyperlites footbeds the best. I think liquid force's are kinda stiff and not as plush... BUT other people will tell you a completely oposite opinion.
Go to a wake store and put on at least one of each companys' bindings then jump up and down a couple of times and see which company's binding foot beds feels softest TO YOU. Then decide which of that company's bindings is most comfortable from the sole up. i.e. the wraps and stuff.

As for a board suggestion:
SLINGSHOT recoil or response
I personally have not tried any of the boards mentioned so far. But i have tried the SLINGSHOT boards. Slingshot boards have a unique flex pattern that rebounds back to its original shape quickly. The flex allows ultra soft landings and the rebound adds additional pop when loaded correctly. If at all possible i would suggest checking them out. Flex is relatively new to wake and it takes a while getting used to. I and many others addicted to flex personally will never ride a traditional board ever again. (Liquid Force came out with a similar board in competition called the "press")
I have heard lots of good things about the Marius and the Shane as Umali mentioned. The LF Lyman is new this year so not a whole lot of experienced opinions exist for it. As said it (Lyman) has a nice center spine and other bottom features to soften the landings.

ALL AND ALL look for one of two things
1. Flex i.e. slingshot recoil or response, LF press, Obrien Local (i know of no one who has ridden and commented about the LF one or the Obrien one)
2. Center spines and other bottom/belly features that make for soft landings i.e. Shane, Marius, etc. (The list of boards in this category is too long for my patience to search and type at the moment)
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
CWB Marius. i am almost the same height and weight as you and thats what i ride. it has the softest landings of any board i have ever been on and also gives you full control of what u want to do. go big, go wake to wake(good for the knees), go into the flats, and float out your tricks. Really its all up to you.
good luck man.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-04-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
CWB Faction is one you should consider. Continuous rocker, great/consistent pop and super soft landings. CWB's Transcend, Marius and Faction all have soft landing caracteristics.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
And as you can see from Tony's profile....he kinda goes big!

Still love that shot! That's the money shot.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-04-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
I second the recoil board. You should definitely get the '08 though, because some people don't like the bindings, and if you get the '07's you don't have an option.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-04-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
slingshot recoil is unreal for soft landings. I hit double ups on it and just boost big air and i find that my knees are not buckling on the landings at all, and as for the flats, its like you never left the water! Id love to try a marius but havent gotten a chance yet unfortunately.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
LF Fish if you can find one.
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Pulse its got a big v in the middle of the board. Rusty rides it and he goes goes bigger than any one what els can you say. 139 or 143
remember loner boards tend to land a little softer
Old     (sinister_designs)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2008, 11:47 PM Reply   
had a look at 08 shane boots & board today what changes over his '07 stuff? the CT boots felt super soft board looks good also.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       02-05-2008, 12:32 AM Reply   
CWB Transcend or Marius
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-05-2008, 5:11 AM Reply   
i have a LF shane with ltd watson bindings. my setup lands super soft. the bindings have little air pockets in the heel like many shoes do. im sure that helps soften the impact on your knees.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-05-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
I'm about the same size as you, and personally, I'd recommend looking into a ronix or slingshot setup as others have mentioned. the ronix bindings are super comfortable and their footbed design should help decrease the impact of landings. i'm riding the 08 covin right now and it feels pretty smooth landing off of big kickers.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-05-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
I have ridden the shane (own one), Watson, natural, byerly, and slingshots (both). I have bad knees as well so I went through this same search last year. NOTHING is even comparable to the softness of a slingshot. Not even close. I still love my Shane, but man, if you have bad knees go with a slingshot. They also have killer pop so long as you edge correctly, but the landings are pillow soft. And with the new 08 boards, you can use any bindings you like. Even if you land hard in the flats, it will feel like going W2W.
Old     (fontain06)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
slingshot
Old    dabigkahuna            02-05-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Ronix One 142 w/ One Boots...best set-up for soft landings based on trying everything but Slingshot boards. The Marius was soft, but not as soft as the One.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-05-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Ditto on the Slingshot. The softest landings of any board that I have ridden.
Old     (sinister_designs)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-05-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
Well I went and looked at the slingshot today....
What can I say a revolutionary board I can understand how it would land real soft due to the flex. Not sure how it will hold an edge thou...I will prob pick up a board and boots early next week so I guess I will find out.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-06-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
If you weigh 190, I'd recommend at least 143cm. Trip 146 if you're daring. You will land soft!
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-06-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
in the board department, any of the slingshots, Lyman, or watson would be best off the top of my head