Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    balance            04-05-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
I'm finally buying a new boat now. And it has come down to 2 boats. I'm going to use it for wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Which do you guy's preffer??

- Mastercraft pro 190 1995 model, Chevrolet 350
- 1996 Malibu Response, Mercruiser 350

The Mastercraft is fresh-water driven only, and only one owner.

Is there any difference in the wakes on these boats? Really hope somone with more experience than me could help me(fast hehe) :-)
Old    masterwake            04-05-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
From a resale standpoint I would say go with the Mastercraft. (I own a Mastercraft so I am a bit partial). I would go drive both of them and check out power, handling, and how the interior layout will fit your needs. Good luck!
Old     (peacock)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-05-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
From a resale standpoint I would say go with the Malibu. (I own a Malibu so I am a bit partial). I would go drive both of them and check out power, handling, and how the interior layout will fit your needs. Good luck!
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-05-2005, 5:33 PM Reply   
Go to NADA.com and compare current values of the boats. Look how a MASTERCRAFT has held 20-30% more of its value than the BU. Yes I am very very biased but the truth be known stick with the best. That Malibu has a VERY VERY tough motor to work on compared to the Indmar. Look how easy it is to change the impeller in the MC then ask how to change the impeller and usually the PLASTIC housing in the MERC. 3-5 times as expensive. An impeller in a MC takes 10 mins MAX. That MC hull is a proven hull and its base became in X-5.
The MC should run you about 14-16.5 depending on condition. The BU should be 11-13K MAX. Look in places you are not susposed to look...in the bildge, back behind the seats. See how much smoother that INDMAR motor sounds and feels. The Mastercraft is CLOSED CELL foam filled. The BU has Hollow stringers and no foam. Lastly Standard Fuel injection on the MC...is the Merc Carburated? Probably.

BIASED yes very very much...but the truth is now told
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-05-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
Randy LOL!

From a resale point... who cares, each boat is 10 years old (or nearly). You not going to get hardly any value out of it.

For a boat that old, if either owner has the lifetime service record that would be a plus. Look for sighns of 'loving care'. TJK had it correct, look in the little places, under the seats in the storage areas for signs of nastyness.

If the Bu was in salt water thats an instant strike against it (imo).

I don't own either, so Im not biased.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-05-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
I own a malibu and I would actuallt tell you to go with the mastercraft. Like Chris said the salt water thing would be a big strike with me, and if the mastercraft looks good now, you now its ben taken care of since it only has one owner.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-05-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
that 1995 mastercraft is kinda rare..i believe it is full injected where the the 94 & 96 were carbed...