Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-15-2004, 9:38 PM Reply   
That's awesome, keep up the good work! Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

Mark
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-16-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
again Danny my prayers are with you and your family! that is so awsome that they haev you on the paralell bars. Take care bro.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
p.s. i'm engaged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isn't she gorgeous!

i'm the luckiest guy on earth! her name is natalie and she means the world to me!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-16-2004, 7:25 PM Reply   
Wow!! The good news just keeps on coming!! Who would have thought that one of the best years of your life started with you breaking your neck! :-) Way to keep your chin up. It's great to watch somebody with so much courage!! Keep it up!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-16-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Danny - Congrats on the engagement and the awesome recovery progress. You're exactly right, you'll be on the water in no time.

I have a friend who, a few years back, broke his neck while riding (rope got wrapped around it, whirlybird, I think). Less than 6 months later, he was back, riding at about the same level as he was before the accident (with the same rope, I would have burned it).

Wakeboarders have this tenacity that makes them thrive through adversity. You demonstrate this in the most extreme sense.

Old    buttacup            03-16-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
Wow, congrats to both of you.
Old    jetgofish            03-16-2004, 10:25 PM Reply   
Danny, congrats to both you and Natalie, she's beautiful and seems like she has a big heart, I'm glad to hear she's been with you during this amazing struggle you've made.

I'd like to say that you've been my light. In Feb. I ruptured my ACL and tore my miniscus, against doctors orders I've been both on the slopes and on the water, even made a purchase of a new board and bindings for my birthday! You've given me the inspiration and hope. I'm not sure exactly the damage at this point, I've yet after three weeks of waiting received authorization for and MRI. I've gone through two weeks of PT and have been told the only thing holding me together is the muscle strength of my legs. I'm riding with little to no pain, but feel the pain two days later.....

Again CONGRATS to you and Natalie....you make and awesome couple and your strength and determination is what has guided God to give you such a quick rehabilitation....

Best of luck to you and God Bless

(Message edited by jetgofish on March 16, 2004)
Old    peadean            03-17-2004, 9:13 PM Reply   
Hey Danny, it is amazing, the progress you are making is unbelievable, but its true and amazing. Congrats on the engagement to both of you, she is a beautiful woman, and if anyone deserves her, you do. Keeo
Old    lildean            03-17-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
oops! I wrote the above postage, but what i was saying is to keep up the good work, and good things will just keep a comin. We're praying for ya man. Kyle Dean
Old    jln309            03-20-2004, 1:08 AM Reply   
danny...hey its jen, sorry its been a while since i posted, ive been in mexico, congrats on you and natalie!!! im very happy for you. but ive given up on calling lol. my prayers are with you~ jennfer
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-21-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
just wanted to tell everybody that things are going great and thanks for everybody who contributed to the AWA fundraizer. the PS2 is so fun and is helping with my finger dexterity.

teri - i know that any degree of injury is tuff and time heals. lets keep our hopes hi!

danny
Old     (azsufer)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-23-2004, 9:51 PM Reply   
Yo Danny, sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear that you are making a recovery. I am new to the WAKEWORLD website but it is great too see the response you have recieved. I am an Arizonian and am always looking for people around the state who feel as strongly about wakeboarding as I do. I am sure you are already itching to ride, but take it slow...and when the time comes we should take out my ride and board for the day.

That goes for any others out there who want to be a third or are looking for a third.

IM OUT...
KYLE
Old    dirt_lip            03-24-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
danny,
dude, wordup, i just spent like 20 minutes writing you but since i am not the sharpest bowling ball, i lost it. let me know if you get this and i will write more, peace out,
chris
Old    endterprize            03-24-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
Hey Danny,
I have been watching all of the posts and letting everyone else areound me know your condition. Everything sounds great! Just know that there are more people out there in AZ that are thinking of you, and pulling for you. Hope you can get back in the boat with me to help judge. It always seems like you are on my left during every division that I pull in the AWA. Look forward to seeing you back on the left side of the boat with a judging sheet in your hands, you always help out a lot!

Brett Endter
Old    dirt_lip            03-24-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
Danny,
que hongos carnal? que transa por tus venas? todo chido por aca. dude, that is so sweet that you are walking on the parallel bars. keep up the hard work man. a few weeks ago we went to that fundraiser for you at that geto pool hall. it was like one in the afternoon and there was all these people there playing pool, and I was like 'dude, do these people have nothing better to do, they probably just play pool all day long, what a bunch of losers,' but then i found out that they were all there playing in the tournament for you and i felt like a horses patute for making fun of them. that is sweet that so many came out, and they were all buying your shirts and stuff, it was awesome. dude, I can't believe that you are my cousin, you are a pro wakeboarder, you have your own clothing company, and you have a beautiful fiance. I am just a nerd who gets pissed off when the library closes early on friday and saturday nights, I haven't figured out how to talk to girls yet, and I have a nasty mustache (hence my user name). I went down to mexico last week to build houses, i love that place. you are coming with me on the next trip. i ate a ton of tacos al pastor. well man, hang in there, keep working your gutz out and you'll and be riding again soon. you will have to teach me a few things about the ladies someday. get crazy with the cheez whiz, peace out,
chris
Old    dirt_lip            03-24-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
danny,
i wanted to show you a picture of some of my kids in mexico. mexican child support makes me send them a burrito a week.
chris
my mexican kids
Old    peadean            03-28-2004, 2:02 AM Reply   
Danny my name is Raymond I was the one that through the pool tournament at the West Valley Billiards. I had the pleasure of meeting your father who I think is an exceptional man. He has a true devotion to you and your well being he spent 13 hours with the people from the pool hall meeting and greeting every person who entered the tournament. All though the party crowd is not the normal croud he would surrond himself with he was totaly amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I don't know you from Adam but when your Uncle Jeff told me of your accident, his eyes welled over. I don't know him to be a soft kind of man so when he talk with emotion I knew it was serious . I have always been told that you were a very special young man.
I felt someone needed to let you know that you were being thought of I have received a lot of credit for the pool tournament but so much of the credit needs to go to your Aunt Paula and your Uncle Jeff they were as big of a part as anyone else there tireless efforts made my job easy it was truly a major team effort so many different people from different walks of life joined in to help it just goes to show you that people who come from different backgrounds all can agree the value of human life and the wellbeing of others is more important than our difference of lives. I just want you to know it is ok to have a bad day as long as you don't let the bad days outway the good You have a huge task ahead we are all behind you but if you decide you are going to give in then I will be the first one to hop a plane and come down to AZ and plant my foot, well you know the rest.
When the time comes for me and you to meet all I want is for you to STAND UP AND SHAKE MY HAND

DON'T STAND ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When it get's rough don't you hesitate to call!!!! ( 801 949- 4482 )

Your newfound friend Raymond D. Allison

( OZZY RULES )

Old    lildean            03-31-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
hey danny just wanted to know how your doing cuz i havent heard from you in a while, but im sure that your doing great and making tonz of progress. But e-mail me or write on the discussion board to let me and all the others know how your doing. Thanks man, gotta run ut ill talk to you later. Kyle Dean
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-02-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
well i'm sure you all are sick of seeing this post reappear at the top of the list but a lot of people who dont post that watch the thread, have been asking for an update.

well i'm definetely not the same person (physically or mentaly) i was a month ago. both aspects have improved. i'm making great efforts and acomplishments towards becoming independant. thats the main goal in neuro-rehab. my therapists are truely great people that help me focus on whats important and my personal goals. even when i dont believe i will be able to do something as simple as put a sock on, they help me make it happen. i also have a new respect and love for nurses and CNA's.

we have been working real hard with my right arm and leg these past few weeks. my left side is doing awesome! i have all my muscles working and getting stronger, on the left side. i've become pro at one handed typing and i force myself to use all my fingers to help dexterity. just ghis past week my right thumb and pinky have started moving on command. i was pretty worried for a while about that hand but i know that it's all coming back with time.

my favorite thing is walking! it's pretty crazy to have to teach your body something that has been so taken for granted and so easy to do your whole life. i can walk farely well in a walker, but after about 100 ft my right leg becomes very week and i start dragging it. they also have me working in a light gait. its a grown ups version of a baby walker.

let me give you a good comparison. lets see, i used to lay around, wet the bed and wear dippers when i got out of bed. i was always ucomfortable and couldnt do anything about it. my mom or girlfriend had to feed me. i couldn't get dressed, brush my teeth, or shower on my own. i felt like i was 6 months old all over again. now all that is behind me. there's only a few things that i cant do and they all involve two hands or two feet. i.e. walking, tying my shoes...ect. so we'll say that i'm about 9 months old now. i think i started walking at 10 months when i was a baby, so i guess thats the goal. i started skiing when i was 4 yrs. lets hope there's not a three year gap this time.

i couldnt have acomplished this so quickly if it wernt for the huge support group i have. it's people like my mom and dad, fiance natalie, my fiends, tom bugg, mike cooper, Raymond D. Allison, my cousin kyle and his family, and all of you. you all make this horrible process worth fighting through. you all are true "Enemies" of Evil...

we have set our wedding date for july 17th here in mesa. email me for details if you would like to attend the reception. ALL ARE INVITED!!! seriously keepitpunk@enemyofevil.com

thanks for all your prayers and support!

choose your side
Danny Dean
www.enemyofevil.com

(Message edited by board4food1 on April 02, 2004)

(Message edited by board4food1 on April 02, 2004)
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-02-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
That's awesome, you've got some great people surrounding you! You're right many of us who haven't posted in a while are still watching your progress and hoping for your continued improvement - so keep us informed.

You say your left side is strong? It sounds like you're ready to ride, regular stance only of course.

Stay strong!

David
Old    stormrider            04-02-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
Danny:
Definitely continue posting the updates. It's interesting to read about how you are recovering mobility. I guess I've always wondered what the "path" would be away from a catastrophic injury like you suffered.

We now know the exact width of an angel. My heart also goes out to those with similar injuries who will not regain normalcy, as you will. For them, I'd hope that you would do great things with the grace the Lord has given you and your family.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-02-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
Keep the updates coming Danny. This is very uplifting stuff and it's great to see the progress you are making!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-04-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
yea keep em coming, even though i dont know you from adam i still read up and see what your progress is and hope to one day see a pic of you up riding again, hey lets make this a marathon post and keep it going that long :-)
Old    cdubs            04-04-2004, 10:59 PM Reply   
danny keep the progress bud. next time im out there in az i wanna come hang out. youll have to show me around so keep working that right side.
Old    tombugg            04-07-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
I received an e-mail from Danny's dad Doug on Monday and in it he told me Danny was walking!!!! I got a chance to talk to Danny on the phone today and confirmed that he is able to get up and walk across the room with out the assistance of a walker!!! This is GREAT news and reason to celebrate! With that said Danny still has a great deal of work ahead of him, he will have many months if not years of rehab. And will need work out equipment. If any of you have anything laying around your house and would like to donate it to Danny's cause please contact me @ thomas.bugg@honeywell.com , otherwise the AWA will be doing some sort of a fund raiser to get Danny the equipment he needs .. I am going to hold true to my promise and video him walking out of his hospital, and will be posting that on Wakeworld soon!! I want to personally thank each and everyone of you who have posted and prayed for Danny. You have all made a difference!!
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-07-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
That is awesome.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-07-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
I am so glad to hear that!!!
Old    buttacup            04-07-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
Wow that is great news indeed! Keep up the good work.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-07-2004, 4:59 PM Reply   
AWSOME! Keep it up man. Prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family.
Old    lildean            04-07-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
Hey danny, im lovin hearing the great news all the time, its like a dream come true, and it all happening so fast!it's great. keep up the great work and keep us all updated.

Kyle Dean
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2004, 7:49 AM Reply   
Wow, that news actually brought tears to my eyes. Danny, your recovery has been almost as remarkable as you are as a person. I can't wait to see your smiling face on the lake again. Keep up the great work!

CC
Old    wawakechic            04-08-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
Hi Danny, I don't know you but I've been following this post for a few weeks. The progress you have made in the last few months is amazing. I am excited for you that you are able to walk on your own. You are an inspiration.

Andrea
Old    leslisa            04-08-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Keep improving.

Lisa McMahon
Old    tombugg            04-08-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
I Just had lunch with Danny and his mother Becky at Islands Burgers. As an encore, Danny had me in tears in the parking lot when he walked from his wheel chair to the car. I can't begin to tell you all how inspiring it was to sit across from this man who, not three months ago was totally paralyzed... He really is incredible! Thank you so much for the inspiration Danny!!! (Thanx for lunch Becky! It really made my day!!) Becky took a picture of Danny and I standing in front of Islands. I will try to post if I get a copy of it.

(Message edited by tombugg on April 08, 2004)
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-13-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
INCREDIBLE progress!!!

Pictures??? Video???
Old     (dan_the_man)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-13-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Danny, we just finished the Orange County Boat Show and you are deffinately in the minds and prayers of everybody in the watersports community.
Old    tombugg            04-14-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
Danny, Call me! Chrissy, Brendan and I would love to meet you guyz for some grub soon. This time you pic, I PAY! Just an update I believe that Danny will be getting out of the hospital on the 20th of this month!!! I will post pics and or movie..

TomBugg
The AWA
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
good news everybody! i get out of the hospital tomorrow!!! i'm very excited. as Tom Bugg promised, we will have video of me WALKING out of the hospital. dont expect anything that resembles normal walking haha, but it's a great start to getting it ALL back. its just a matter of time now. thanks again for all your support and encouragment.
Old    dodgydave            04-19-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Good work Danny. Best of luck with making a full recovery and getting back out on the water.

Dave
Old     (azsufer)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-19-2004, 9:54 AM Reply   
Keep rockin Danny. You are defininition of inspiration and what you have done can teah tons of people to never give up on anything. I, like everyone else on WAKEWORLD are looking forward to your first run of the season and it is only a matter of time until that goal comes true.

I do not know if you or family will be up to it, but it would be a pleasure if you took a trip out to Bartlett Lake this weekend. I plan on taking my boat out (98 Malibu Sunsetter VLX) and camping friday and saturday night, there will be two other boats out there, a DECKED out Centurion anda brand new X STAR with some great riders and people who love to party.

If you or anyone else who reads this is interested and loves to party and wakeboard, then head out to Bartlett, Look for the biggest houseboat on the dock and thats where we will be.

Kyle D.
Old    jln309            04-19-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
hey danny, i had a good time on Friday at the show! you looked so awesome, i was amazed at your progress. I think its so amazing that you have such a great outlook on everything and you can still crack jokes about it. your so great! im so lucky to have a friend like you.

Jennifer
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-19-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
That's awesome - I'm sure you'll be glad to get out of the hospital!

Take it easy and good luck with rehab and the wedding plans.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-19-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
Congrats Danny!
Old    wakemeupaz            04-19-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Right on Danny, can't wait to take you out on the new boat. Let Vic and I know when your available ... we we look forward to the "instruction".
Old    tombugg            04-20-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
Danny, I am trying to get a hold of you again and can't. Your hospital phone is busy and your cell phone is going straight to VM. Call me.... Are you still getting out today??
Old    peadean            04-24-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
We need an update - We've been absent from the computer as of lately with a lot of everyday busy stuff going on as well as some not so everyday busy stuff but we have not dropped out of site. We are so proud of you and happy for you and only wish we could be there to share this wonderful experience. Stay strong you're coming along. Love Paula (and the rest of the family)
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-25-2004, 10:19 PM Reply   
Were still thinking about you Danny! Keep us posted.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
i'm cookin up a big post, i'll have it ready later today... thanks!

choose your side
www.enemyofevil.com
Old    road_hawg            04-26-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Hi All,

Danny's just getting some of his computer gear set up again and back in working order after his getting released. Some of what he's waiting on is required for him to do some neat stuff he wants to include on his "big post." Stay tuned.....

Doug
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2004, 1:56 PM Reply   
Please start your big post in a new thread. This one takes tooooooooooo long to open.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
perhaps you could start a new thread "danny dean OUT of hospital!" :-)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-26-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
Hey, I haven't read this post in quite awhile, but I'm thrilled about your progress...it's just amazing. I definitely got teary-eyed more than once...keep up your hard work and positive attitude!
Old    tombugg            04-26-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
Danny,
I was going to post on the AWA Event post but I might as well do it here. First I want to say that it was incredible to see you and your family at the event this Saturday. Definitely Made my day!! Thank you so much for the killer Enemy of Evil shirt, I was stoked to wear it! "I've chosen my side" Also HUGE thanks to you and your dad for judging!! You looked like you were having a great time! I also want to say thanks a lot for making me almost break into tears on the mic before 300 people!! Nice Guy!

Awaiting your big post...

Tom Bugg
The AWA
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-27-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
dave had a better idea...

stay tuned
Old    tombugg            04-27-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
Your kill'n me!!

Staying tuned..

Think we can get this post to 300?? What's the record Dave??
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-27-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
WELL? Come on with the post. This is like waiting for my favorite tv show to come on but not knowing when it's going to be on! :-)
I just thought i would finally post on this thread to tell you i've been following your progress and it has been inspirational! I'm sure there's alot of people like me out there pulling for you that you don't even know about.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-27-2004, 10:52 PM Reply   
k, here it is

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2004/dean3.asp
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-28-2004, 12:02 AM Reply   
Truly an inspiration to us all, never knew Danny, only been in Arizona once, but still an inspiration,
Keep it up, you'll be on the water soon
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-28-2004, 12:04 AM Reply   
Further posts to this thread should go to http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/167744.html
Old    timedw            04-28-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
HOWZIT DANNY: Greetings From South Africa
I've only been wakeboarding for a few months now and have entered a few local competitions already.

But one thing struck me as the comp went on: ALL THE COMPETITORS WERE CHEERING FOR EACH OTHER. Even though the novices (incl me) went first, all the more experienced guys that compete on national level were clapping and shouting for the little guys, sometimes also giving advice. There's no snobbishness or anyting like that. The wakeboarding community is definately an unique breed of person, always helping out his fellow man (or woman) whether it be a competitor or just a friend.(Show me another sport where that happens!) Witnessing what is happening on your side of the world, with all the support that you're getting is testimony to that.

Get well soon and I will DEFINATELY be waiting for that video clip of you getting up on that board.
Cheers & Good luck!
Tim.