Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-13-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
I am getting sick of seeing bugs on my tower after a day on the lake. We are less than an hour from home and it is covered every time we get home. Any thoughts on how to combat this? I have heard of the plastic wrap stuff but that just sounds silly.....anything legit that may help?
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-13-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Leave before the bugs come out!

You pretty much have to drive real slow (usually not an option), get it out of the wind (pull it behind a bus or semi), put a bag or coating on it. Try spraying it with a silicone lubricant or PAM. The best option is to make a cloth cover for the tower. Of course, getting a large roll of wrap will work, depending on the attachments.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
A wet rag with a left to right motion or up and down motion with either hand of your choosing.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-13-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
Best way to get em off is to take wet towels and let them sit on the areas affected, in essence "re-hydrating" the bug carcasses.

Works wonders once they soak up some of the water, not much scrubbing!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-13-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
Ahhhh Eric, finally a usable solution that I can try. Thanks man! Frank - Agree that driving behind a big rig does help. Slow does too, but I am ready to get home by that time...lol Dave - been doing the Wax on Wax off method for a while, tired of it!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-13-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
at the RV store you can buy this stuff called Bug Off, spray some on a rag and wipe, it desolves em!! Plus you can use it on your wife when she's buggin you!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
Pro's Works Great, Protects your tower and goodies
Con's, Takes about 10mins to put it n a 5 Min's to take it off.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1128623877
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-13-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
Grant - not digging that at all....looks terrible. I will agree that functionality would be useful, but I can't get over looking at it. Now the one down the thread a bit is pretty good, on the Malibu. Like the towel and now the Bug Off much better than spending $400 to look at something so ugly. HA Thanks for the idea though G...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
Hey try Jim at Speaker Socks. He makes one that just covers the center section of the tower.
http://www.speakersox.com/home.htm
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-13-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
Living on the lake for years, and being out at nite quite a bit...bugs were horrible. One of my neighbors used to do this and then I started it. worked great for me.

I would use spray silicone on a rag and wipe the tower down ( it helped agsint corrosion too...boat sat on a covered lift) with it. After a few applications...bug won't stick to the tower...any that do , come right off.
Old     (MWG)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-13-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Wizards Bug Release works really well

http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store...7&cat=0&page=9
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-13-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Wrap your tower in reynolds wrap for the ride home
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-13-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
I think you mean Saran Wrap.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-13-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
Clean it, then take some silicon spray and apply it to the tower with a rag.......just like Adam said ^^^ the bugs will come off nice and easy the next time!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-13-2012, 5:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Pro's Works Great, Protects your tower and goodies
Con's, Takes about 10mins to put it n a 5 Min's to take it off.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1128623877
these are great if you tow long distances!