Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-15-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
Hey guys and gals,

I have had a droid x for abotu 9 months probably and had a Droid 2 before that. I have never rooted one but am thinking about it. The reason I am is that my phone is getting really slow and I am not sure why. I don't have that many extra apps downloaded and I can' even hardly use pandora. It just stops and it isn't because of a poor signal.

What are some of the basic advantages of rooting a 3G droid X?

Will I be able to make my phone run faster whether it is due to beign rooted or because I will be able to ditch verizon apps that will slow down a droid?

Is there a good run down on how to do it?

Are there any antivirus programs I should have downloaded. I think I had the standard one that came on it but for some stupid reason I think I deleted it or uninstalled it. Anyway to get this back or do you have to download all new apps when you root?

Does your phone still backup using gmail when it is rooted?

Anyways, thanks in advance for the help.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-16-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Start here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=687 Do a lot of reading and figure out what you want before you start rooting. With my Inspire it only lasted a day or two before I had it rooted, all of the bloatware removed, and I was trying different ROMs. Once you are rooted you can make complete backups and that makes it super easy to restore your phone as needed.

Personally I like the MIUI based ROMs. I don't use them an "iOS" clone though. I like the camera, toggles, themes, and their system UI a lot. I only run one widget and a few short cuts on my home screen. Currently I'm getting about 40hrs regular use on my Inspire 4G with a MIUI ROM. I'm not sure if ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) is out for the Droid X. I have run some early builds of ICS and ROMs with ICS framework in then, faster and easier on the battery for sure. But the ones I have tried are Alpha/Beta quality with some annoying issues.

Why is your phone slow? Hard to tell. You can install CPU/System monitoring apps like Watchdog and battery apps to see what's using cycles and power. Then go thru those one by one to find which one is causing your issues. Might just need to uninstall and reinstall the offending app(s). I use Titanium backup to "freeze" apps for things like this. Freezing is easier and faster then uninstalling when debugging. Could be a ton of widgets running or a very chatting widget running.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-18-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
just got on a Droid this year. I've got a HTC Desire/Inspire 4G and am looking to get my feet wet on this as well.

Sean, I noticed that link is for Droid X specifically. or thats how it appeared anyway.... Can all droid phones use droid OS? or are they specific to the phone?

Last edited by denverd1; 01-18-2012 at 2:18 PM.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-18-2012, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
just got on a Droid this year. I've got a HTC Desire/Inspire 4G and am looking to get my feet wet on this as well.

Sean, I noticed that link is for Droid X specifically. or thats how it appeared anyway.... Can all droid phones use droid OS? or are they specific to the phone?
Android is the base OS, there are device/model specific ROMs, and then you can modify tweak apps and configs. Within the ROM there very device specific libraries, so you do need to use a ROM assembled for your device. If you put a Desire HD ROM on an Inspire you'll like have very tiny sound and mic issues. This is easily solved by running a script to correct those drivers and some ROM include this. That means the ROM detects Desire HD or Inspire 4G and set the correct files automatically. A Droid X ROM on a Inspire is not going to work.

I'd go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/ and find your device. Read thru the forums and settle on some ROMs you like and try them out. You want to root your device and get a backup/recovery application running first. Clockwork Mod is the most popular one. This will allow you to create a recovery image of your phone saved on your SD card. If you fub something up, you just restore the saved image. If you are trying something out you are not sure about you create a recovery image first. Pretty safe. You can completely brick your phone, but it's very unlikely and the Desire/Inspire devices are very hard to brick. I flash my Inspire weekly if not several times a week for close to a year now, no issues. If you corrupt something (start to get random force closes and reboots, you might need to do a factory reset and then reinstall the ROM). Titanium Backup is the defacto standard for backing up your applications and data. With it you can back up all the apps+data, hard wipe your phone, install a new ROM, restore your Apps+Data so that you have not lost things like game progress or text messages. Some times restoring data just restores an issue but you can do this App by App.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-19-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Sean, Ihaven't gotten a chance to read too much into the different ROMs but the first and most important thing is to download Titanium backup and backup the phone, right?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
I use Rom Manager (Clockwork Mod) to back up the entire phone. Think of it as creating a restore point or image.

Titanium Backup I use to back up my Apps and data.

Usually I do this:
1. Titanium Back up for apps
2. Clockwork for recovery image
3. Flash new ROM
4. Use Titanium backup to restore my Apps

Depending on the ROM you might need to reinstall Titanium Backup post ROM flash, then restore the Apps.

Once you the hang of it, its petty easy. Also if you are flashing the next version of your current ROM you can usually do an on top of install which keeps all of the Apps (no need to restore, but I'd still keep a somewhat recent backup).
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-22-2012, 4:25 AM Reply   
You need to see if the phone is Gingerbread or Froyo. The GB phones are harder to root, most are the newer versions.

I've got a GB phone that I had someone root for me so I could have wireless tethering for free. Verizon has caught on to this and make it a lot harder to do, so I'm trying to get mine back to Froyo. My knowledge is limited on this stuff, so I've got someone to help with it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-23-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
Cool thanks for the pointers. Can't wait to speed this thing up.

I've got an inspire 4g BTW

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-23-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
Is the free version of Clockwork mod good enough to do the job? I'll spend the five bucks if I need to

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-23-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Is the free version of Clockwork mod good enough to do the job? I'll spend the five bucks if I need to

Free version is fine, I think you can even turn off Ads in its own settings. I have the paid for one since that Dev does a lot for the Android community, figured I'd buy his app that I use a ton.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-23-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Cool thanks for the pointers. Can't wait to speed this thing up.

I've got an inspire 4g BTW

With my Inspire I got all the info I needed off of XDA for rooting it and putting different ROMs on there. I did mine close to a year ago, have not looked at the rooting instructions lately.