Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-16-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a boat that works great for surfing but also works well for early morning slalom skiing. I have two kids - 11 & 9, and they are just starting out on wakeboarding, so we'll also want something that works fine for them as they progress. I'm considering the following:

Nautique SV211
Malibu VTX with a diamond cut hull (new for 2007)
Centurion Enzo 216
Mastercraft X2

Thoughts?

Also, do you have any photos of the wakes behind these boats with someone skiing or surfing?

Thanks!
Don
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/386120.html?1163092860
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-16-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
Here's my breakdown:

Top choice? Nautique 211... In my opinion, probably the most versatile tournament boat on the market right now. Tourney certified for both Wake & Slalom, and throws a SICK surf wake (I've seen a few amazing pics on Wworld). It's a little more utilitarian (less comfortable) than the others, but extremely well-built. Plus, handles chop well for a tournament boat.

Next up, the Mastercraft X2. It's the old 205 hull, so it was originally built for skiing, but just happened to be AMAZING for wakeboarding as well. This boat will ski very well, but I don't know if it can beat out the 211. Surf wakes aren't nearly as good as the 211 (very close call here), but the Wakeboard wake is legendary. Only downsides to this boat: small interior, and it gets beat up in the chop. Very well-built boat.

The Enzo 216 will surf extremely well, but due to the deeper vee of the hull, the slalom wake will be a little meatier. That said, it will surf great and wakeboard very well. Deeper vee hull means it will handle chop very well too.

The Malibu VTX is brand-spankin' new, so no firsthand experience here. Assuming the hull is modeled off existing V-drives in their lineup, it will slalom very well, wakeboard as well if not better than the 211, and probably be 2nd to last place for surfing. This boat will win in aesthetics and "family comfort"

Strong pros and cons to each...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-16-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
The hull on the Enzo 216 is very flat not a deep V. I don't think you can extend Enzo 23 and Enzo 24 wakesurf characteristics to the 216. I've yet to hear anyone describe the surf wake. The 216 is a wakeboard/water ski cross over.

Get an Enzo 23 that would be a good wakeboard/wakesurf cross over.

(Message edited by Bigshow on November 16, 2006)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-16-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
i really dig on the on new mc x2 picklefork....

the x2's handle incredibly well and do throw a better wakeboard wake than the 211 imo (i own a 211)..though i think the 211 might have a smige (and i mean smige) better surf wake due to the hydrogate)..
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-16-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Oh wait you want a ski boat. Well maybe a Enzo 216 is a good candidate, but again I haven't heard anyone describe the 216 surf wake.

I've looked at the storage figures for the 216 - it's freaking huge, more storage than the 23 foot Enzo.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
X2 BAR NONE!!!! You can do whatever you want on that thing...
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-17-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Anodyne, WOW you've had the chance to ski, board and surf all of these boats? I want your job....
Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-17-2006, 10:44 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for your feedback and the links you've provided to previous posts. If you have pictures of the wakes behind the various boats, that would be great!

Here's a separate question. Do you have a good feel for when I'll get the best deal on a boat? At the boat show? Or a few weeks before the show (with the thinking that the dealer will offer me great incentives to lock me up so I won't be tempted at the boat show to buy a competitor's boat)?

Thanks.
DonnieB
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-18-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
donnie,

i really dont think pics would help that much since everyone i know weighs their boat differently..

it would be better to get out on each one..