Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    steveb7            03-18-2003, 8:44 AM Reply   
I read a lot of posts where someone uses a through hull fitting for to fill their ballast and I was wondering if you drill a new hole or if there is a fitting that allows you to take advantage of one of the factory drail holes
Old    jmccallum            03-18-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
I added a thru hull right in my ski locker.

Old    steveb7            03-18-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
that is what I had in mind. What do you use for a pump? Can you use a reversable and pump out the same fitting?
Old    jmccallum            03-18-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
Simer self-priming and reversible
same fitting...Yup!

I did it this way to keep it as simple as possible!

Old    xwake            03-18-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
James,

Any tips on the actual installation of that thru-hull? I'm going to be installing one this weekend.

Thanks,

-Bo
Old    jmccallum            03-19-2003, 6:15 AM Reply   
Measure twice, drill once… really!

There were a couple of threads about that a while back
(standard phrase on this board )

1. Decide on location (mine as quite far forward so I spent so time watching my boat drive by my dock while on a plane to convince myself that the thru hull would be under water)
2. drill a pilot hole first to double check (it’s easy to plug a 1/8 hole in a fibreglass hull)
3. use a sharp hole saw (I used it from outside and outside alternately so that neither the gelcoat on the outside nor the fibreglass on the inside would chip)
4. dry fit the thru hull and hull valve together first. Make sure there is enough room the swing the valve handle
5. use marine silicon or urethane on the fitting to create a good seal

Info on sealants (look 12 rows down)
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorDisplayView?advisor=341.htm

A “how-to” for replacing thru-hulls on sailboats (close enough)

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-thru-hull.html
Old    jmccallum            03-19-2003, 6:16 AM Reply   
P.S.

I'll be expanding my system this spring using a scoop intake and aerator pumps. Right now I'm working on valves..

good luck
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
James - How are your empty times (standing still & moving) vs. your fill time?
Old    xwake            03-20-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
James,

Thanks for the tips.

BTW does anyone remember an article about installing The Wedge on a Malibu boat?

In this article the author does a step by step on how to drill a hole in your boat. It was very informative and was either on Wakeworld.com or that other website. Anyone remember this article?

Thanks,

-Bo