Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
I am sure this has been posted before, but I need advice.

We sit around a lot out on the lake and I love having the music on without the engine running. With 3 amps and tower speakers, sub, the battery gets killed quick. (I have 2 marine batteries on perko switch). Many times, I would be fine with running just the interior speakers with no tower speakers or amps. I am sure this would drastically change my battery levels and increase the time I cam play music before killing a battery.

What do I need to install a switch to shut off certain wires connecting to the battery or how do I accomplish this? I am guessing there is an easy product to do this, or step by step instructions. Help?

Thanks!
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-20-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Your amps have remote turn-on leads. These are connected to a turn-on wire coming from your head unit, usually blue or blue with a white stripe. If you install switches on the turn-on wires, you can power up amps individually. No need to put switches on the primary power wires.

Simple single-pole / single-throw (SPST) switches will work. Just insert in each turn-on lead for each amp you want switched.

Try to find water resistant switches for a little more reliability...

Phil
Kicker

Phil
Kicker

(Message edited by philwsailz on July 20, 2009)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Mike,

With a double-pole 3-position (On-Off-On) switch you can control three separate circuits with a single switch. Or, you can control up to four separate circuits with a radio frequency remote control (small key fob) by Wave.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for all your help. I want the easiest to install solution and hopefully the cheapest. I don't mind if I have to reach in by the amps and get to the switch. I want to be able to buy this thing online (any help for a link to these products??) and I want to be able to hook it up myself.

Thanks very much for the help so far.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=spst&origkw=spst&sr=1

not sure if that link will work, but when i look at the selection, they are rated for different amps (3, 6, etc) and most are 125vac. Should I have a preference?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-20-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
For your application, almost any of those will work, EXCEPT for the momentary switches.

We are switching 12 volts and almost no current, so there is no real current concern. Get something that looks nice, mount three of them in a convenient location, but a location that will not get too wet. I am thinking under your helm, or maybe near your stereo? the automotive switches that look like rockers would be good choices.

You might be able to get marine dash switches from somewhere too; I do not know a good source of the top of my head, but someone might be able to chime in; I think TigeMike has recommended some in the past...

Run your blue turn-on wire from the radio to all three switches, then go from each switch to its own amp.

It is really rather easy...

Upload

Phil
Kicker
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-20-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
I might add, with three amps, you may want to consider adding a relay in front of the three switches. This would be just to prevent accidentally blowing the radio's turn-on voltage output.

The pic below shows how that relay would be wired for a multi-amp system. The rely on the turn-on circuit is pictured directly below the head unit in this picture:

Upload
I know that pic is rather busy, try to look past all but how the blue wire triggers the rely to provide power to the amps turn on leads...

Good luck!!!

Phil
Kicker