Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-06-2009, 1:19 AM Reply   
I was gonna go ride in the Masters division at Nationals on Wednesday but may have to drop out now.

Does anyone have a back remedy that might get me better in 2.5 days? :unsure:

It sucks getting old. :-(
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-06-2009, 2:12 AM Reply   
when did u pull it? Back muscles are tricky, and hard to ride through because they are so directly involved. Youre best shot honestly is to see a good sports physio and get it evaluated, and hopefully get it manipulated.
Old     (r3cher)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-06-2009, 3:37 AM Reply   
rest. i study sport exercise coaching science and rest and ice the spot where the pain is because a pulled muscle could be a little micro tare in the muscle or it could be a
over stretched muscle Note:it will also take about a week or a little bit more then a week befor the pain will go away thats if you have done it pretty bad and you will know if its bad because it will be hard to breath like. but yeah hope that solves your problem. Good luck
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       07-06-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
Get a tens unit.. It helped me out tons.. And you can get one online pretty cheap.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-06-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
SUPER BLUE STUFF......????
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-06-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
What is a tens unit?

This post was started at 3:00am because I could not sleep but feels much worse now. I am definately going to have to cancel my ride. :-(
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-06-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
When I pull a back muscle I go to the doc and get muscle relaxers... In about 2 to 3 days I am ususually good enough to ride. A full week and teh back is good as new. Those and 800 mg ibuprofen 3x daily!

-Uj
Old     (matt5)      Join Date: May 2007       07-06-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Isn't a tens unit one of those electric muscle stimulators? From what I remember, I had that kind of treatment for shoulder and neck problems. Worked really well.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-06-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Gene have you tried a heavy icing regiment? A bag of ice on the spot for at least 30 mins? A lot of people don't ice long enough and you need to ice for longer than a few mins. My wife is a PT and whenever I feel that I have pulled something, I am getting iced.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-06-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
I pulled a muscle in my upper back sneezing. It's embarrassing, and even more painful.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-06-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
rest
Old     (minnesota1)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-06-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
I've had back problems for years. I started doing Yoga about a year ago (1x /wk) and haven't had any issues since. Still gets sore and tenses-up every once in a while, but then I just do a session of Yoga that day and it loosens right up.

In the past I would have been out for weeks. Probably not a quick solution for your current problem, but I am 38 and have found it has helped me with all those back issues. Now it is part of my routine.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-06-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Been thinking about Yoga. I am absolutely gonna start trying it out after this round of back issues!
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
My Nafarious ways as a youth put me with some phone numbers that turned up some percosets and oxy's when I strained my abbs. Felt Like a miracle.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-06-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Ask your Dr. about getting a Toradol (think that's what it is) injection for the pain and then a prescription for the pills. For me, it was the only pain killer that didn't make me high and actually got rid of the pain!
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
Get a Tens unit and alot of stretching, Hot Tub, and muscle relaxers

Upload
Old     (geoff_isringhausen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
The trick is to stretch out your hamstrings very well and it will release the strain in your lower back.

Line up both feet in a line with one higher than the other, lean over and stretch it like that, this will be the best way to alleviate that lower back pressure. I've been doing that for years.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Gene - Yoga will not only help your back, but improve your riding GREATLY. I did it intensely for about a year and noticed a huge difference in how I rode and in my running times too. Need to get back on that train...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
There are a lot of potential solutions here....that is, if anyone knew the actual problem, which no one does!

The muscle stem is cool if you have to be imobilized for a while, but still want to keep the uninjured muscles active, but, it's no substitute for core flexibility and strength exercises. Lack of core could be the cause of the problem. Usually it is.

Yoga is great for both.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-06-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
Once again thanks for all the feedback. I am just hoping I feel good enough to ride on Wednesday, which at this point seems very unlikely. I will probably lay on my back with ice packs for two days straight. Maybe take a muscle relaxor before I ride... :-)
Or just a Hydrocodone/Beer like I always do. :-)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
No stretching until it is healed....rest only with ice (up to 72 hours) and heat/ice after that time frame.

Timmy...you are right...Toradol is a wonderful, non-narcotic pain med.

Depends on how bad it is as to riding. I am nursing a pulled ab and I am going to ride...been resting it for a week by that time. Be safe...

(Message edited by rnopr8 on July 06, 2009)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
Gene....LOVE the crossed fingers LOL LOL!!!!

You rock...thank for your service!!

(Message edited by rnopr8 on July 06, 2009)
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
"There are a lot of potential solutions here....that is, if anyone knew the actual problem"

Ummm... the problem is that this is Gene.
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-06-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
Im a martial arts instructor and ameture fighter, and if it is muscular, try bio freeze. I use it whenever i pull or strain a muscle and it makes it feel a whole lot better.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
BioFreeze is the shiznit!!!
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       07-07-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
Bio Freeze is awesome.. But you cant get it around here anymore..
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-07-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
What is Bio Freeze and if it is gonna help me where can I get it?
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       07-07-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
Its hard to get anymore, well, at least around here it is.. Its like a super powerful Ben-Gay.. It does work. But look into that tens unit.. Google it and you can find all kinds of cheap models. I've broken my back twice now, and I have used it for rehab for the past few years and it really helps me out..
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-07-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Gene, bio Freeze can be found at most chiropractor offices, Texas Back Institute and some massage/therapist offices. I have used that in the past and works great.