Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-09-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
N.Cal people, need your help. Taking a trip in mid June to Sacramento and hauling the boat for 3-4 days of fun (Friday, Monday, Tues). The question is, between

Berryessa
New Melones
Tulloch
Don Pedro
McClure

which is your favorite for camping/boating/wakeboarding & why? Also, I may be a bit late for campground reservations so if we stay nearby and launch every day, same question - favorite and why?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-09-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Berryessa isn't very close to the others listed. But I've never camped there,It should be good during the week.

Pedro has a couple nice campgrounds
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
If your coming up 5 then Berryessa is the farthest off track. Berryessa also can get blown out during the day and the water will be colder in June. Tulloch is small compared to Melones, Pedro and McClure. You can most likely still get sites at Melones, Pedro or McClure. Those 3 lakes are good size and not to hard to find some good water most times of the day.
Old     (braap13)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-09-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
Why would Berryessa be colder in June? The others are fed by snowmelt, while Berryessa is not. Agreed on all the other points though.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-09-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
PM Sent.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2009, 11:42 PM Reply   
look at the average temps on the websites. The dams were built to prevent storm flooding. Thats not snow melt. Now they all do catch snow run off but after the melted snow has flowed through the hot central valley.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-10-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
tulloch is nice because there are some camp sites right on the water with your boat within feet but very small with limited hiding areas from wind to ski glass. Heard good things about mclure but never been there. Melones and pedro are pretty equal if you ask me but if forced to choose prolly melones, both of these have mostly long hikes to and from your boat. For the best go Delta check out delta chamber of commerce for great camping location and as far as glass goes can't be beat
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-11-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
Does anybody know if remote shore camping (just go find a spot) is "legal" at Don Pedro, Melones, or McClure? Camp permits required?
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-11-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Does anybody know if remote shore camping (just go find a spot) is "legal" at Don Pedro, Melones, or McClure? Camp permits required?
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-11-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Shore Camping is allowed at Don Pedro. I believe it is first come first serve. Below is a link for the fees.

http://www.donpedrolake.com/RecreationArea/Fees/index.htm
Old     (gwperry2)      Join Date: May 2009       05-11-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Don P you can camp were ever you want, Its good but not to many trees to and it gets a little rough out there. McClure is nice but camp site are a bit far from the water. The conditions a epic at McClure. Berryessa camp sites are fresh right by the water alot of shade on the camp sites. I have never camped at Tulloch but the water was great the few time I went, It is a small lake though. Malones is a big lake never camped but its a cool lake can get super chooped from the wind. You could do the 4 lakes in 4 days that would be a good trip.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-11-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
There is only marina at Berryessa to camp at called Pleasure cove marina. Right now the water level is such that there are no campsites on the water. Even when full Pleasure cove only has a few campsites on the water and the campsites they have are small and right on top of each other. Berryessa is my home lake and I NEVER camp there.

Bullards Bar would be a better bet. It's about 1 1/2 hours north of Sacramento. Berryessa is about an hour west. Much Better for camping. They have developed sites and shore camping. Plus it is rarely busy during the summer.

http://bullardsbar.com/index.cfm
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. This info is awesome! OK, Berryessa is out. Besides, it's a bit out of the way. If there's any more tips or personal fav's, keep it coming!
Old    walt            05-11-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
Bullards is a GREAT lake !
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
Yeah, so I hear about Bullards. BUT it's an hour north in the wrong direction. Worth it compared to the others?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
New Hogans is a good lake also
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-11-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
I would say its worth it. Bullards that is.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-11-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
The water is REALLY low at Hogan right now. Huge hikes from the camping to the boats.
Old     (noel_peterson)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
We've been going to Melones for years and will again this year. The lake level is low, but still very deep away from the banks. We camp at the Manzanita campsites because they are the closest to the water and you can see your boat from your campsite. 50 cent showers are a plus also.No fun hiking up and down the hillside but once you get to your boat it's all good.
Old    jps            05-13-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
+1 for Bullards. Great lake for camping and riding.
Old     (delweed)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-14-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
hogan is nice and you can still get camping.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       05-14-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
I have been to tulloch, berryessa, hogan and don pedro. Of the 4 I would rate in order of preference don pedro, hogan, berryessa then tulloch.

Pedro has nice water and nice camp sites. I RV it so like the sites at pedro. There is usually a lot of nice shore line for beaching it. Hogan has nice water. The camp sites don't have RV hook ups. The real down side is that most of the shore is shale (spelling?) rock that sticks out of the ground like shark's teeth which is not great for beaching or your boat's hull. Berryessa is nice but just about everything is closed now and in all my trips it always seems to be windy and choppy. I have been to tulloch once. The lake is small with lots of slow water. It was crowded when I was there which made the lake seem even smaller. I guess if I owned a house on the water there it would be great but without I would opt for one of the other 3.
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Bullards has the best water around. They have boat in camping by the water. But if your in a RV you have to camp away from the water. Pull your boat in and out every day. my only knock about Bullards. We went to Rollins last weekend camped right on the water. Awsome little lake.Upload
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Water at Bullards.Upload
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Water at Bullards.Picture 283 (Medium).jpg