Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-21-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
I know its better to have more mega pixels but is 8 overkill can i get by with a rebel not the xt. can someone that has used both give a review
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-22-2005, 4:42 AM Reply   
I just up graded to the XT on Friday so I'll let you know.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-09-2005, 10:22 PM Reply   
Walt can you let me know?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-10-2005, 4:51 AM Reply   
If your question is can you get by with the old Rebel I would say yes. Like you said the XT has more MP and it seems a little faster at focusing but other than that I haven't noticed any real big differences yet.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-10-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
alright thanks
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-10-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
Do you plan on printing posters larer tha 16X24? Or being on staff for magazines or major fashion shoots? If the answers are NO then the Non XT Rebel will work megapixel wise. As walt stated I have heard that the focus is faster and there are a few other bells and whistles.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-11-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
I have the 300D and have printed a 20X30 from an uncropped shot and there is no pixelation. However, which camera you choose depends on what you will be doing with it. As for bells and whistles, the 300D has few, most stuff is non-customizable unless you get a hack. That can be good or bad. If you are just shooting for the heck of it and don't really want to get into the nitty gritty of photography and digital cameras then the 300D will be great for you.
Other shortcomings that I don't like about the 300D are it's lack of AI servo in manual modes, small buffer and low fps. I shoot mostly wakeboarding and love getting big sequences, but right now I can only get 4 shots at 2.5 fps. That may not be a big deal to you. Also, I shoot 99% of the time in manual modes, and if I'm shooting wakeboarding from the side I need the AI servo all of the time, not just when the camera feels like it. The 350D has AI Servo, 2.8fps and a much larger buffer if that matters.
Don't get me wrong, the 300D is an awesome little camera for the price and very capable of taking great photos. I've had mine since May and have taken nearly 13,000 photos with it, and the only times it has held me back is when I shoot wakeboarding from a tube/chase boat or sequences. I'm trying to decide if those reasons are enough for me to upgrade to a 20D or just deal with it.
Ultimately, beyond fps and customization, the real quality of your photos comes from what lens is attached to it and the person pressing the shutter. I upgraded from a Canon 75-300 f:4-5.6 to a Canon 70-200 f:4L and am loving it. I have also gained knowledge and experience with photography and am getting a little better with each attempt.
This post is probably worthless... but you do need to figure what you will be shooting, because that is what makes the difference in what camera is good for you.
I'll shut up now.
Tiff
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-11-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
if the cost difference isnt an issue id get the XT. faster fps, more megapixels, better imaging sensors (digic 2 chip) plus a few other things that could make your life easier.

if the 300D (regular rebel) doesnt come with AI Servo mode i wouldnt even bother with it personally. there have been so many times when AI servo has been a crucial tool (any time there is motion towards or away from you). ive been at three photo shoots in as many months where AI servo was of absolute importance.