Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-17-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
Last night Ginny (my wife) and I talked to our tenants and heard one of the most depressing accounts of the disgusting actions our govt inflicts on good people...

Our tenants Mel and his wife have been married for 20 years and have two children aged 13 and 16. Mel was brought to the US from Turkey at the age of 6 by his parents. In the mid 80's when Mel was 17 he stole a car. Mel was handled by the legal system and he paid the price. In 1996 a law was passed that an immigrant charged with a felony would be deported. I'm not familiar with the details of this law, but I believe it's called the IIRAIRA.

Unfortunately, immigration decided to pursue action against Mel for this past crime. Mel appeared before a judge and the immigration attorney and the judge ruled that Mel should stay in the US. The immigration attorney filed an appeal and another judge ruled against Mel and overruled the first judge's decision without ever having to look Mel in the face or hear his story.

It's appalling that a person who has never know a country other than the US, should ever be deported. But in this case the devastation goes further. Mel has an American wife and 2 American children who will be thrust in abject poverty along with losing their husband and father. The mental anguish that will be suffered by this family could be argued to be worse than if he were murdered.

As if all of this wasn't enough he and his family also will lose any rights to the SS and medicare payments he earned for his many years of working and supporting his family. In other words, after destroying his and his family's life they will rob him of his retirement, then send his family to depend on the govt welfare system.

You would have thought that the immigration attorney would have been relieved to not have to destroy good people's lives as a requirement to fulfill her duty. But I can only imagine the evil that must exist in one's heart to have taken it upon them self to appeal the judges decision.