Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old    alanp            03-16-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
with temps only in the mid 70's there was no way i was going to the river(actually it was super windy). anyway ive been wanting to ditch my hu but didnt have a way to mount my eq to my liking. so i just decided to fab one from fiberglass. took about 3 hours and 30 bucks.
my set up is mp3 player to eq to line driver to amp to speakers. next i plan to find an mp3 case for my player and mount that to the upper right of the face plate.

Upload

Upload
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
Alan where you get that glass from? Good Idea.
Old    alanp            03-16-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
jason its fiberglass. here are the steps

1. i took a piece of cardboard and made a template from the peice pictured above that looks like carbon fiber with the red writing below.

2. then i covered the cardboard in bondo glass added a piece of fiberglass matting and another layer of bondo glass. let dry and sand smooth(80 grit)

3. then added a layer of bondo body filler to entire template. let dry and sand(120 grit).

4. apply bondo spot filler to entire template. let dry and sand (320 grit)

5. spray with primer. dry and sand with 320

6. spray with paint. i used krylon spray paint. cuz i knew i wouldnt be winning any craftsmanship awards.

all this crap can be purchased at wal mart btw. and this is only the second fiberglass project ive done. i know it isnt great but i guess the point is that it isnt that hard to do a decent job
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
Another good way to make simple panels like that is to cut plexi-glass to shape, since you can see through it mark your screw holes, drill them, and paint the back of it your desired color. Very simple, looks great and the paint will not chip. I like using plexi-glass that has a texture to it. Comes out looking very good and it is also super cheap.
Old    alanp            03-16-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
now you tell me!!! haha good point
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
nick where do you get the plexiglass from?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-17-2008, 1:38 AM Reply   
i always get my plastics from www.tapplastics.com
Old    alanp            03-17-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
thanks for the site mike. ill bookmark that for later use. prices seem reasonable too.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
you can get plexiglass at home depot
Old     (apeljax000)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
"water temps only in the mid 70's"
HA!!!! I would absolutely kill for some water like that right now. I live in Ohio and it snowed last week. We are begging God to get the temps over 60 so we can bundle up under our dry suits and try out the new gear!!! The purgatory between snowboarding and wakeboarding SUCKS!
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-25-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
not water temp. Air temp was 70.
Old    alanp            03-25-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
it was 92(air) and 63 water this weekend. i rode.