Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-02-2014, 9:05 PM Reply   
My good ol vest from 2009 has developed a stink from one night being left in a compartment after an early evening ride out camping. This stink is not funny anymore. Any recommendations for a new comparable CGA vest? I see a newer looking version of the Law out and wonder if any experiences with it. I was 100% happy with my old Law, It's just too putrid to subject my fellow riders and children to anymore.

I have tried WIndex, Baking soda, mild soap etc. with no luck.
Thanks
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2014, 9:28 PM Reply   
The current Law is still my favorite USCG Approved Vest.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-02-2014, 10:37 PM Reply   
Lots of love for the CGA revenge out there. I can't speak for it, I have a Hyperlite that I've never been able to find the model match too, but I do like that.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-03-2014, 12:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
My good ol vest from 2009 has developed a stink from one night being left in a compartment after an early evening ride out camping. This stink is not funny anymore. Any recommendations for a new comparable CGA vest? I see a newer looking version of the Law out and wonder if any experiences with it. I was 100% happy with my old Law, It's just too putrid to subject my fellow riders and children to anymore.

I have tried WIndex, Baking soda, mild soap etc. with no luck.
Thanks
Do you have a friend with a swimming pool? Soak it in that water for awhile and let it sit in the sun for an afternoon. None of the methods you've mentioned will do much to kill whats causing the stankfest. You could also dilute some bleach and soak/rinse it with that This is an easy fix. You don't need a new one.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-03-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
Thanks fr the advice. When I get our pool out of the garage this summer I will have to try that. What dilution of bleach would not bleach out the fabric??
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       04-03-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
Try saturating it with vinegar maybe? Our clothes washer is one of those high effiency ones that uses less water and spins the clothes so fast that they are almost dry when they come out. If you wash a load and leave them in there overnight the clothes will sometimes get that mildew smell that sux. I have been able to get the smell out of t-shirts by soaking them in vinegar/water mix in the sink and then re-washing. Maybe will work on your vest?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-03-2014, 10:13 PM Reply   
I would throw it in the washing machine with a little bleach. Hang to dry. Done.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-07-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
+1 for the Revenge CGA. I've had the vest for about a year now and love it. It looks just as cool as most comp vests, it doesn't get in the way, and it's plenty long.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-07-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
Dawn dish soap. Or get a new Revenge.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-07-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
You don't have to wait for the pool to get setup. You can do it in your bathtub or if you have a big enough sink. Otherwise you can put your washing machine to soak mode and just saturate it. I would try vinegar first as it won't discolor anything, gets rid of smells, and sanitizes. I would do like a cup of vinegar in the mixture wherever you put it. Let it soak for a few hours, rinse and hang to dry.
That's pretty much what I do to my wetsuit when it gets all funky. Vinegar bath, rinse, hang dry.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-07-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses, I'll try the vinegar first, really don't want to replace the old girl.

Funny story on this vest: Weekday riding in the delta. It actually blew off the back of the boat unnoticed once after my first ride of the day, after two more trips up and down twins we drove from twin sloughs up to ski beach and hung out for an hour to let the kids run around. Then on the way back I was going to ride again back down twin sloughs and realized my vest was gone. We started looking around and there she was against the south levee right by the east end of twin sloughs area stuck against some weeds. It had been MIA for three hours and didn't get sniped by anyone or drift up under a tree never to be seen again. Fetching it in the disgusting weeds and mud on low tide was by far the worst experience of the day but saved me $130!!
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2014, 5:08 PM Reply   
It's not the vest that stinks bud. Is my new Costco vest cool enough to wear behind your boat? And isn't my old one still on your boat?