Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Want to add in second battery with a Perko switch. Would like to use the existing battery cable in the boat. Question is, can I cut off the connector that's on there and crimp on a new one? Or solder? I need to change the end at the battery to an "i" type connector to connect it to the Perko. Also, what type of connector would I use to attach the ground to the two negative terminals? The directions and diagram with the Perko switch seem simple, but I'm just not sure what to do with regards to the connections. Thanks.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-12-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
You need ring or spade terminals. Go to a welding supply to get extra cable; it is much cheaper, and better quality than automotive. Auto parts store will have the crimp terminals you need. You don't have to buy the crimping tool, just hammer them flat on concrete.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-12-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
I recommend not installing a perko manual switch. Spend the extra 25 bucks and get a battery isolator/combiner. Easy to install, gives priority to the starting battery and s automatic. No need to open a hatch and manually switch anything. Here is a link to the product I am talking about. It is the 1314.

http://surepower.com/pdf/separatorinterconnect.pdf
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-13-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
I HATE the perko! Dealer installed one on the new boat when they added the second battery and it's a freaking pain! I had an Isolator on the Tigé and never had any issues. I can never remember to switch the blasted Perko! I'm changing it asap!
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-13-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
Brett,
Are you saying the spearator is easier to connect than the Perko? I found this diagram of installation : http://www.fourwh.com/batteryseparator1315.pdf
The blue and black wires simply attatch to the auxillary batteries negative terminal and the brown goes to the auxillary batteries positive? What's the auxillary light indicator and momentary boost switch all about? Sounds like those are optional?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-13-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Bob, to make it work you don't need to install 2 of the wires. The blue and brown wires they show are an extra feature you can use if you want. To make it work you only have to run the 2 main wires to the positive of the 2 different banks and a small wire to a ground.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-13-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
The auxilary start is if you want to manually combine the batteries to help the starting battery start the boat. The light just tell you if they are combined.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
What do you need the Auxiliary start connection and the lamp connections for?
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
Brett, will the batteries switch if one of them gets lower than the other. My concern is, I moor my boat and if the bilge is running, will it switch to the other battery? I know with a perko, I could leave it on "all" and it would run both down...
Old     (mtnm2)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-13-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
If I want to run 3 batteries which one should I use?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-13-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Trying to find out more info.

Chris, are you planning on having one battery to start and 2 batteries wired in parallel for the stereo. If so even though that is 3 batteries that is considered a 2 battery system because the 2 batteries wired in parallel only count as one battery.
Old     (mtnm2)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-13-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Correct one battery to start 2 for the stereo.
Old     (mtnm2)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-14-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Where is the cheapest place the get the separator?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-14-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
I have it for 52.75 plus shipping.

Joe, it only affects the charging side not the draw. So your bilge would still work. as long as that battery doesn't completely die.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-14-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
IF you cna find out where skier's choice gets theirs from this is the best setup IMO. Perko with combiner.

Upload
Upload