Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (wristy_j)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-13-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I have a 1982 Ski Nautique (2001 hull), and I own 3 fat sacs. I usually run with 2 filled about 2/3rds full - one on either side of the engine housing (just leave the 3rd one at home). I'm thinking about hooking up a semi-auto ballast system, though, and I'd like to know how much ballast others use, and where they put it so I can set my system up properly. I know it's preference, but I haven't tried many other configurations, and am just looking for some opinions.

Thanks!
J
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-13-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Use all 3 full. I run 440s on either side and a 500 in the back. Then put as many people in the boat as you can. Have fun.
Old     (wristy_j)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-13-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
I'm looking more for opinions on how to split up the weight, or where to put the sacks to make my system as useable and adjustable as I can. Should I put anything in the nose? What kind of ratio front/rear? 40/60? 30/70?
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-13-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
Do like mid says...two on the side of motor at least 400lbs and then a 500 in back. You dont have to put weight in the front unless you have a full back seat. If so then add a 100-150 under the nose. That keeps the shape just right.
Old     (xcharrier)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
I'm not going to be much help but I've got an '86 2001 and I put a full 440 lb on either side of the engine. I've done that from the start and it puts out a great wake so I havent messed with it.

I installed a semi-auto ballast last summer and it worked out pretty good. I have two hoses ran to the back that store under the rear seat. Just plug those into the sacs and flip a switch for each. They are reversible pumps and switches so when its time to drain I just plug the hoses back into the sacs and flip the switch in the other direction. Fairly painless.
Old     (other1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-13-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
On my 83 I run 250s on each side of the engine, basically the front of the bags with the front of the dog house. A 400 across the back, along with another 100+/- for the sundeck that is built in. Probably have around 100 of lead in the nose as well.

I would love to plumb in my rear ballast, might be a project for the fall.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
I've found the more weight in the nose the better. I run about 750 in front and 750 in back, then when I have people sitting on the front bench seat the wake gets even better. Try it out and see if you like it. I board around about 24-25 mph at 80'. I think it is amazing.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
If someone explains to me how to resize pics I'll post some up. Thanks
Old     (bstphen24)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
I'm getting a '84 at the end of summer, and I'm just wondering if anyone runs bigger sacs along the engine. Something like maybe the 600 lb. sacs?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-13-2007, 3:37 PM Reply   
I run about 300lbs+ on either side of the engine. With any weight in the back it becomes too vert for me.
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-13-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
One summer I ran a 500lb+ on either side, but then I lost a sack on the highway. The 440s fit perfect so I am sticking with them. I forgot that I do have a sub and amp up in the nose that helps a bit. If you plan on having alot of people in the boat you might need some ballast in the nose.
Old     (wristy_j)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-13-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
I think mine are the 600#'ers. The wake seems nice when I put one on each side of the engine. They are a bit wide, so if you have to open the engine cover, it's a bit of a pain to get it closed again, although not all that bad. If I put a 3rd across the back, the wake gets too steep.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-13-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
two 440s along engine pushed all the way back, 100 pounds in freeweights in the nose, 150 pound launch pad strapped to the front, full tank of gas and just the driver and observer and the wake is awesome, add full boat of people and extra 440 in the back and push the other two a lil further forward and the wake is nuts, have fun with it, go big! ps: the weight up front is crucial, so dont chince on that part.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
I put a fully automatic system in my boat this spring. You can see it here: http://www.leftlaneends.net/sn2001/page2.html

With the weight in the nose (equipment, etc) and the ballast full, I'm pulling 2000+ lbs. out of the water. The acme 542 prop is key to get enough torque to do that easily.

Two 500's on either side of the engine and a 750 behind the engine. I have about 250lbs. in the nose. Wake is great with 1 or 4 people in the boat.

You mentioned flexibility - I designed my system with that in mind. I left enough slack in the fill/drain lines to move the sacs wherever I want, and they all have quick releases so they can all be pulled out easily.
Old     (wristy_j)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-15-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
Fro-Z, nice upgrades man! Your boat looks sweet. How do you go about making sure your aerator pumps prime? Are they just mounted low enough so that's never a problem? What kind of valve setup do you use to reverse the pump flow and empty the sacs (or do you have other pumps not shown in your pics)? Also, with the thru-hull in the transom, can you fill up while you're cruising, or do you have to be sitting still?

Again, nice work - very inspiring!
J
Old     (wristy_j)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-15-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
Ha! Your boat is on the Monster Tower customer pics page - nice!
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
No valves - that was one of my stipulations for the system. Valves complicate things.

I have 6 pumps - 3 fill, 3 drain. All pumps are below their respective waterlines (eg. the fill pumps are below deck and thus below lake level and the drain pumps are at the bottom of the sacs and thus below that water level - no priming issues).

I can't fill while under way, BUT I fill in less than 5 minutes anyway, so it doesn't bother me much... I can drain while underway to balance the wake out.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-15-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
I acutally put a sac up front. It sits behind the passenger seat and in front of the driver's seat. It's a nice leg rest for the driver. I just built custom fiberglass tanks, hopefully they will work as planned.