Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       05-05-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
Im gonna attempt to do an oil change on my x2, can some one lead me through it basically. I have changed oil in cars many times btw...
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-05-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
You've got a hose at the bottom of the oil pan. Take it and feed it through the transom plug. Open the plug on the end of the hose and allow oil to drain. Then wrap a plastic bag around your oil filter remove and install new oil filter. Close drain hose, place back in boat, reinstall transom plug, add oil and your ready to go.
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
Go get an oil pump like this one: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/268534/0/0/oil%20pump/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0 Warm the engine up beforehand and drain it out the dip stick. The transom method takes a looong time to complete, the pump about 15 mins. The bag method is good for removing the filter, I'd also put one underneath the filter to keep any spills out of the bilge.

(Message edited by rake on May 05, 2007)

(Message edited by rake on May 05, 2007)
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
Make sure you run the engine first. This gets the oil warm and allows it to drain faster.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-06-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
I did this recently for the first time on my boat and warmed the engine and used a pump. I ran the drain hose through the transom plug then bought an extra piece of hose for my pump that fit right over the end of the drain hose. Pumped it out of the drain hose and worked really well. Pump it right into whatever container you are going to recycle the oil into. I pumped it into an oil pan then dumped it into a milk jug. Should of just pumped it into the milk jug to begin with
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       05-06-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Unfortunately I do not have my manual, what weight oil should I use? What are people using, I personally like Mobil1 FullSynth
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-07-2007, 3:35 AM Reply   
To warm the engine up should you put the boat in the water? Or is it ok to let it run for a minute or two without water?

You can download the manual on Master Crafts website.

(Message edited by bwood on May 07, 2007)

(Message edited by bwood on May 07, 2007)
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-07-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
If you warm the boat up without water you will destroy the raw water impeller. I usually change the oil when I come home from the lake (10 minute drive). I also have a connector that I made to hook the boat-up to a water hose. Don't buy a fake-a-lake, hook directly to the v-drive where the raw-water intake from the lake comes in.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
George what do you use to hook directly to the raw water intake, if you dont use a fake a lake.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       05-07-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
if you dont have a fake lake do what i do. Simply un-tighten the clamp on your water intake hose, disconnect your water intake hose, then just shove your garden hose inside the hose and turn the water on. Works like a charm for me and i havent spent the $45 on a fake lake, plus, they are a pain to put on your thru-hull vent
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Almost all synthetics meet all weights from 5-50. Use any rated for your motor or above. Personally, I use the 5-quart Wal-Mart brand with good success. The NAPA works great as well for about the same cost.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Skidim.com (discount inboard marine) sells flush pros that tie into the intake and allow you to hook a water hose up easily and quickly. They run about $60. I am sure there are other brands that would accomplish this as well.