Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old    jsimpson7 (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-02-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
I am lookin to buy a video camera for next season. Besides knowing how to operate them, I know very little about cameras.

So my questions are:
- what should i look for?
- what is the best on the market right now?
- can i buy a water proof one or do i need to buy a waterproof case?
- how much should i look to spend?
- what kind of editing program should i get for my computer?
- will an editing program work on my computer? (dell inspiron 1150 w/ pentium 4)
- what else should i know?

Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
will the cam be to film buddies and yourself ride?
Old    jsimpson7 (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-02-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
Yes. That will be its only purpose. Strictly to film all of our riding. But i also got to Georgia State University and we are trying to put together a film of all of our riders. Basically, i would like to attempt to make a short video.

And as far as editing, i will be able to use Georgia State's "digital aquarium", which is a state of the art editing studio.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
look into 3-chip cameras like the panasonic dvx100b. they run about 4grand. you can check out dvxuser.com for some used models of dvx100, dvx100a or dvx100b. the waterhousing for these cameras are pricey too. i think you can get one custom made for about 1500 bucks.

if that's way out of your price range, you can get something like a panasonic pv-gs500 for well under a grand. it, too, is a 3-chip camera.

have you had any experience with editing programs? as for the "state of the art editing studio," it's not the platform that makes the video look good. it's the person in front of it. you can have all the "state of the art editing studio" at your disposal, but if you don't know what you're doing, it's going to look like crap.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
by the way, peep this for some underwater housings.

http://www.dpcfilms.com/HowTo/articles/UnderwaterHousings/index.asp
Old    jsimpson7 (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-02-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
yea, i will probably toy with editing a little bit, but i will probably get a freind of mine who edits skateboard videos to do most of it.

As for the camera, i read on a different thread that the panasonic gs-500 was a pretty good choice.

Joe,
I know that you do a lot of film making yourself, obviously b/c you are making the chic flick. So, what is the trick to editing? Is it something that takes practice? Or do i just have to have natural talent (so-to-speak)? I am pretty creative when given a chance to use my creativity. Thanks for your help.
Old    jsimpson7 (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-02-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
Also, after lookin at that link, would the panasonic housing be the best choice if i were to get the gs-500?
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
check here to see if they have the housing. if they do, it should work.

as for editing, all i can say is it's about expression. you express through editing of your feelings about a certain shot or shots. there's no real trick to editing, but there are some keys.

1. the most important thing isn't editing, but camera work. get the angles. use a chase boat from different angles. don't limit shots to towboat shots.

2. always have the camera on to get all the shots. you don't want to end up saying, "damn, i should've had the camera on."

3. keep the camera steady. use both hands to film. for land shots, use a tripod.

4. don't use the lcd screen.

5. keep your pans as smooth as possible.

6. it's best to film in the mornings and late afternoons. avoid filming in the middle of the day.

7. use good music. you can have the sickest footage in the world, but if the music isn't good, you'll lose the viewers.

8. practice filming. practice editing. once you're done, practice filming some more and practice editing again.
Old    jsimpson7 (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-02-2006, 11:44 PM Reply   
awesome! thanks for your advice Joe!

* by the way, when can i buy the chick flick?
Old    mobster            12-03-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
Check out the sony vx2100 has a great picture shoots great in low light .All the Mob Group video is shot using a 2100, The water shots are shot with a tvr 950 a great cam for water shots check out WWW.wakesurfmag.com go to the video room