Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
Just driving somewhere tonite, I was thinking.. I love snowboarding and snowboarders and skiiers always had this hate relationship with each-other untill skiiers took it up a notch and started progressing in the park, halfpipe etc.. now the skiiers are actually pulling more insane the snowboarders. Skiiers that can really kill it on the mountains get lots of props and respect from the snowboarders.

Are there skiiers out on the water pulling tricks out of their a$$? inverts? 360s? or what?
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-04-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
i've seen some cool stuff on trick skis, but nothing that can touch a board on the water yet...

i don't go out and do research and stuff on waterski tricks though. most hardcore waterskiers are obsessed with courses and could care less about getting air.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
Im a die hard snow skier (in park and out) and wakeboarding during the summer is where its at plain and simple.....you could never get the angle of approach correct for skis, it would never have as natural a feel.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2006, 10:48 PM Reply   
That makes sense
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-04-2006, 11:59 PM Reply   
Actually back in the day, late 80's, Tony Klarich use to kill it on hotdog ski which is basically a short fat slalom ski. 3's and inverts all kinds of nutty shiat if I remember correctly.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-05-2006, 4:07 AM Reply   
There are several excellent trick skiers in the 3 event world. They are on one ski, short rope, and use a point system for scoring that wakeboarders seem to despise. Shaun Murry does a backroll on a pair of skis in one of his instructional videos.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-05-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
Obviously its being done, and there is a new company out there making twin tip type freestyle waterskis (3's backrolls and rails Ive seen done on them)

HOWEVER, two freestyle skis on water will never feel as natural as a board because you can never get a straight on approach, one ski is always leaving the water first.

Thats why the best old school trick skiing moved more and more to slalom trick skiing then using two skis.
Old    drcrow2            08-16-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
I hate to call lance out here and for that matter most wakeboards will disagree, But from a stand point of watching I would rather watch pro trick skiers than pro wakeboarders! As a converted skier-wakeboarder, I find it amazing the amount of tricks that are done in 20 second runs (2 20 sec run standard format). Not to mention I have yet to see a wakeboarder put his/her foot into a toe hold rope. Or do a line over trick (the skier pulls in and jumps over the rope in the process does a 3). Of course I have not seen a skier throw a crow or a whirly!

just my $.02
Old    deltahoosier            08-16-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Actually wakeboarders do line over tricks. Orbital 5 by Shapiro if I am not mistaking.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Allen does raleys and backrolls on double skis
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Allen from CIE killing it on some old woody's

Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
Sucks that he didn't land any that day, but I saw some old school pictures where he was going a lot bigger.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-16-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
shaun murray does board over line in counterfiet this

i sometimes mess about on two jump skis with my mates, we sometimes drop a ski we do wake 2 wake one foots there pretty fun to be honst with you.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
hahaha we were all to drunk to even care
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
True dat....I was keyed up!!
Old    funkytown            08-16-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Snow skiers may go a little bigger then snowboarders, but they will never have the style. Its like comparing a rollerblader to a skateboarder....its a joke. just like comparing trick skiing to wakeboarding.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-16-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
... but there's no denying how much more insanely technical skiing is than snowboarding.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-16-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
I'm parking the sticks this winter and getting a board myself. I just want to keep a "boarding" feel through winter so I'm not so off on the water come Spring.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
"just like comparing trick skiing to wakeboarding."

The skiers have adpoted a style of their own. I respect it. Especially moves like grabbed 5s where you land backwards. Pretty sick
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-16-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
Well I did a cart wheel end over end about 4 times after coming out of a turn heading to the wake.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
I've been out with allen when he was doing rolls and raleys on those little skis, and has actually thrown a scarecrow on them. They're actually old skis, he cut down and threw some old wake bindings on. He goes huge on those things... especially when he's wearin an orange vest and some cut off jean shorts!!!!
Old    bigrich            08-16-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Thats hilarious stuff. We were out couple of weeks ago and the lake was so blown out my son decided to try a slalom for the first time. He got up and rode for about 100 yards on his third try. We were having so much fun messing around I pulled out an old Led Zep cd and actually did a few power turns as well. No haters please there was no one else around and the conditions were horrible anyway during the middle of the week.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-17-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
World record trick skier. Very few people could go as big with what he works with (3 ft cut into the wake,an 8 inch wake, from a low tow point)

Wakeboarders take a 10-15 (or more) ft. cut into the wake, pulled from a tower, on a 2 ft tall (or more) wake.

http://www.nicolasleforestier.com/2005/html/modules.php?set_albumName=tricks&id=HotTricking&op =modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_phot o.php
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-17-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
David- There is also the flatline which Shapiro does. Ts Bs 180 without a handle pass (line over).

Also, the reason wakeboarders dont do tricks every half second like that is because they ride longer lines with bigger wakes. Quick and short riding lacks style. That is why Lyman and Harris are so good.
Old     (jediknight)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2006, 4:34 AM Reply   
Amazing video of Nic LeForestier. Thanks for posting.

It's no co-incidence that guys like Shapiro, Parks and Murray are as good as they are having all being accomplish trick skiers before going anywhere near a wakeboard.
Old     (jediknight)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2006, 4:35 AM Reply   
I really should proof read my typing before posting!
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2006, 4:46 AM Reply   
I would have to agree with boarding on water. I am a skier in the winter and prefer to wakeboard all though I do like to rip a slalom for a good workout. I would have to say to the first post that skiers and boarders in some places have had the hate relationship. Most of it came from the skiers being in the park. I cant say that I am a huge park skier I do not pull 5's or 7's but I can get some sick air and do 3's but I would much rather spend my time dropping in to a sick steep, straight lining or just ripping chest deep pow. I have nothin but respect for all you who love to do what you do.