Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    Kody (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-10-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
I was just wandering and wanted to know, If your buying a used boat how many hours is too many hours?

Also what are some tips in looking in buying a used boat, such as what to look for, what is crucial those kindof things.

Another, can I get some thoughts on the older epic's, as far as wake and weighting.

Thanks
Old    Kody (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-10-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
Anyone got an opinion.
Old    Craig (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
Hours is a very difficult question. Too few hours and the boat has spent a lot of time sitting. Too many hours and you know it's been riden hard. If someone puts 200 hours on a boat in a year, they're probably advanced riders and load it down really heavy and work it harder. I heard that the "average boat owner" puts 50hrs on a boat in a year. If I may offer my opinion, I'd say the "average wakeboarder boat owner" puts 90/year. (this average should include the extreme riders (200+hrs/year) and the mellow riders 50hrs/year.)

Feel the Vinyl, you want it to be soft and supple, avoid a dry hard feeling vinyl. It doesn't take but one summer of the boat sitting in the sun to cause the vinyl to start falling apart 3-4 years later. Tore up vinyl is expensive to fix and really displeasing to sit on.

A lot of Epic Marine (Toyota/Lexus) owners really like those boats. They're fuel efficient, people claim to get 2-4 gph with them. Verses 6-8GPH with the Chevy power plant boats. If I recall correctly they Epic's are 300hp boats, but a new prop can probably make a 300hp boat really functional.

At last, http://epicmarine.com/
Old    Kody (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-11-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
Thaks alot Craig. I was just looking into some boats and getting different thoughts and opinions on a couple of things. I think with the way gas prices are going we might all need a boat that gets 2-4gph.

Thanks again, any other thoughts or opinions are greatly appriciated.