Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    FoxrepDC (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-08-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
I asked a guy at a local Marine store how to hook up a Perko and this is what he drew for me. Will this work, or am I going to fry something??

DCUpload
Old    Wes Gardner (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
That's correct
Old    Tom (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-08-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
You might want to consider a relay instead.

http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/PAC-200.pdf

This way you won't have to manually switch over when you want your aux. battery to charge. The relay will combine the batteries when the ignition is on and isolate them when it is off.
Old    Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
"The relay will combine the batteries when the ignition is on and isolate them when it is off."

Combining batteries when the ignition is on is not always the best idea, if you run the relay, use a combiner as well (that will sense the voltage and only combine when the battereis reach 13.4 or so) This way your not combining a dead battery with a fully charged one.
Old    Tom (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-08-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
Good point Adam!
Old    FoxrepDC (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-08-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
Basically all I'm after is to be able to switch batts when I just want to run the audio and not kill my cranking batt. Will batt 2 charge through the Perko? Do I set the switch to "ALL" to charge both?
Old    Trace (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-08-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
A Perko switch will be fine as long as you don't run one battery completely down and try to recharge it with the alternator. If you do run one down, get home with the full one, and charge the dead one at home.
Old    David (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-08-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Adam - is this a decent combiner?

http://www.pleasureboatmarine.com/xaparepabaco.html?zmam=9583460&zmas=2&zmac=49&zmap =XTX84205300
Old    JTW (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-08-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
I like this one in conjunction with a Perko switch.

http://www.yandina.com/c100Info.htm
Old    Migitty Matt (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-08-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
I like the Hellroaring combiner/isolators. Mine has been flawless for years.

See: http://www.hellroaring.com/

Here's a pic of the install.

Upload
Old    TR (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-08-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
I use that PAC-200 and have never had a problem starting the boat. Note, I have discharged my stereo battery multiple times to the point where i would turn the stereo on and it would turn off almost instantly because it had been depleted. Also, I also have subpar batteries which will be replaced if/when they die. They are going on a little over 3 years. I take them out and condition them in the winter so i am sure that helps. A little bit of insurance would be a take along jump starter, they are cheap enough and are very handy.

In the event that my boat does not start because the stereo battery pulls down the other battery I can just unhook the stereo battery and have full starting juice.
Old    Kraig Kaiser (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
I second the Hellroaring automatic combiner/Isolator. I've used one for years and they are a quality unit. I won't run without one ever again as long as I'm running two or more batteries.
Old    Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-09-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Fox:

The wiring diagram for a battery switch is correct. Keep the cables as short as you can, and I would recommend going up one size (lower AWG number) on the battery cables to compensate for the longer length.
Old    FoxrepDC (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-09-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
But without the combiner/isolator, the Perko will charge both batts when set to ALL???
Old    Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-09-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
yes, this is the main reason why you should have the same battery type and simlar age batteries. Running hte switch on all defeats the purpose of having a "backup" battery though. while the chacnes are slim you'll have a battery failure out on the water that b/c the battereis are connected in the "both" positon. If it ever does, you'll be SOL. Leave it on batt 1 or batt #2 charge both at home on trickle chargers. That's my regimate.