Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    Ryan (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
So my prop got dinged up and I hit the forums to track down my next purchase. That lead me to http://www.propellersonline.com/

After talking to them about weight ( GG III bags) they recommended the Acme 1235. This prop is 1/2" bigger in diameter and dropped 3.75 pitch from previous (original was 14x18 and the 1235 is 14.5 x 14.25)

There were a few posts on the 1235 with good reviews but I wanted to see if anyone else was running one. I just got it installed tonight and hope to take it out tomorrow. The only concern I have is that there is only about 3/4" clearance between the blades and the prop guard on the trailer. That should never hit but my motto is never say never.

Any input would be appreciated. I'll post back with performance after I get it out.

(Message edited by bull on July 31, 2006)
Old    Danny Laird (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
just wanted to let you know you wont hit the bottom of you prop gaurd but you will hit the sides of your cage. load shallow that way the boat is on the boards and not floating in back cause you will sway left and right and hit. trust me i learn the hard way.
Old    Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-01-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
I always load my SSV shallow b/c of the bow...if not your go under the bow stop.
Old    JHG (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-01-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Ryan,
Are you hoping to get a better pull out of the hole and lower rpms? I've noticed about a 200 rpm increase with the additon of about 800#s of ballast. Right now I run about 3000 rpm with 1750#s of ballast at 22-23mph. Not too sure how that compares to your boats but it is significantly more than a friends X-2 and Centurion Avalanche (about 2500-2700rpm). I would love to somehow drop my rpms at speed if able and increase my pull out of the hole. Not concerned at all about top-end Thanks...
Old    Jamie (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-01-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
You aren't going to be able to drop your rpms AND increase hole shot....

Pick one or the other. You can't have both.
Old    Ryan (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Danny - I didn't think about hitting the sides of the cage at all. The water levels are getting lower here so most of the time the trailer is shallow to keep the bow up like adam said.

JHG- When I upgraded to the new bags (pro-x 750's in the rear and the 19x19x88 up front) it took awhile to get on plane - even when starting with the wake plate down. So the prop change was to get out of the hole faster with the new weight. The new prop will probably run 2-300 rpms higher than the old one but I think I'll still be around 3000. It looks like we have the same boat unless you have the upgraded engine. What prop are you running right now?

It went from 100+ to 88 and rain today so I don't have anything to report. I'll check rpms when I do get out though.
Old    JHG (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-02-2006, 4:44 AM Reply   
Ryan,

My prop is an OJ Stainless original equipment and I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure what the specs are. The engine is an Inmar 320 HP. I was under the impression that a prop with a bigger bite would run at a lower rpm, hmmm... It's Africa hot up here today but is suppose to drop back into the 80's by tomorrow.
Old    Jamie (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-02-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
The pitch of the blades has more to do with RPM's than the size does. A 14 pitch prop will (theoretically) move forward 14 inches through the water for each full revolution. An 18 pitch goes 18 inches. So switching to a 14 pitch, you would have to turn the prop faster to keep up the same speed. Because the prop can turn faster right away, you can get into the power zone of the motor quicker, thus better hole shot.
Old    Brooke (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       08-02-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
I run that prop on our '06 malibu vlx with a about 2500lbs of ballast and people. It's terrific, I save gas, it gets out of the hole nice and quick. I run lower rpms, best investment made for the boat besides the ballast system!

Let me know if you have specific questions, but I love it!

And Jamie, I run at the same or less rpms and have a heck of a lot more hole shot!
Old    Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Does anyone knwo the specs on the OJ stainless for the SSV? I have the same prop and was wondering the same thing.
Old    Tom (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-02-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
I have the ACME 857 prop on my 21V. I usually run with about 2200 lbs at 3200 RPM. I have no problem getting out of the hole. The pitch on this prop is 15.5 and it has a diameter of 13.25 There isn't much clearance between the prop guard and propeller (maybe 0.5") but I haven't had a problem as long as I trailer shallow. Just as Danny said watch out for the cage. I bent the stock prop trailering too deep (hit the cage), which is what led me to get the new prop.
Old    Ryan (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
Although I bought my ssv used I'm pretty sure it had the original stainless prop on it. I couldn't find the manufacturer but it was a 14x18 - 1 1/8 LH taper shaft.

The size and pitch should be labeled on the prop collar just outside the driveshaft. I could still read mine with the tightening nut on so you might try that.
Old    Ryan (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
Finally was able to get out tonight and put the 1235 through some paces.

First off a warning if you are changing from your stock SS prop - make sure the regulars are aware of the upgrade. I always do a quick ready survey looking for nods but I almost lost 160 lbs of ballast as the difference in holeshot sent my second looking for a better grab handle!

We loaded up with about 2k in weight and it was a night and day difference. With the old prop we had to use the wake plate to help plane out but the 1235 made that a thing of the past. We were riding 70' at 22.7 mph with the wake plate at 1/4 from all the way up. At those specs the engine was running just under 3100rpm. Holeshot was like we weren't running any ballast at all and we were easily on plane by 10mph.

As for top end there was probably a small loss. At 40mph the tach showed 4200rpm. I didn't know what the limit was so I didn't push it much more. After getting home tonite the owners manual says the motor is good for 4400-4800 rpm. Top end with the SS prop was about 45 so I'd assume that there will be a 2 mph loss which isn't a big deal at all in my case.

Bottom line is that I want to say thanks to the people at propellersonline for taking the time to understand what I was looking for and recommend a great prop for my application. The change turned the ssv into a new boat and my wishes for the engine upgrade are gone.

I don't have experience with any of the OJ XMP Edge props so they may be good as well. Either way you can't go wrong with the 1235.
Old    JHG (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-03-2006, 4:29 AM Reply   
Thanks Ryan! Sounds like the 1235 might be the way to go. I know my 03' SSV seems to be laboring out of the hole with the increased ballast. Is the 1235 a stainless? I assume I'm looking at around $400 if I go that way. Thanks again...
Old    JHG (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-03-2006, 4:35 AM Reply   
I now see it's a nibral and costs around $392. Thanks for the link. Did you get a prop puller kit as well or just beat the hell out of it?
Old    Ryan (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
JHG - I did get a puller but not the complete kit. Most of the stuff that comes in the kit I have around the garage so I didn't think it was worth it.

If you have a longer 2 arm gear puller you could probably get it off. Although at $70 or so it's nice to be able to toss that and the spare prop in when you head on a long trip.

It sounds like top speed doesn't matter to you so I'd definitely recommend getting the 1235.