Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    Mispella (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-24-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
I'm under rotating, and it sucks doing a 22mph belly flop. So any advice everyone in the boat said my nose barley caught the other wake, but said I had plenty of height.(so it was not a head scraper.
Old    Dan Gitlin (madtowndan)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
Well its very hard to give advice without a video but ...
A backroll is a trick that is supposed to be initiated off of the top of the wake....the way i learned them is when you edge to the wake at the very top edge slightly AWAY from the boat (the opposite direction the boat is driving) or in other words you'll be hitting the wake at more then a 90 degree angle. This is a slight angle if any as its more of a mental thing to get the board to fling up and behind you. In combination with that, you want to dip your right shoulder a little, look over your left shoulder and the roll with happen. When in the air keep on the handle with both hands and right at your waist. Make sure you look over you left shoulder as the board reaches its highest point above you head. This will allow you to spot your landing. (All of these instructions are for regular footed riders)

If you initiate the trick early you'll do a "head scraper". If you initiate it late you'll do a high, slow backroll. There are other ways to learn this trick but this is how I learned it.

Hope this helps.
Old    Mispella (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-24-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
thanks
Old    Mispella (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
no body else
Old    bb12 (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-27-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
I find that the main key to a backroll is edging all the way up the wake. As far as rotation, the closer the handle is to your body the faster you will rotate.
Old    Andrew (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-28-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Mispella, here are the steps that helped me land this trick (its actually pretty easy once you put everything together):

1. DO NOT take a big long cut. Start only about 10-12 feet out (just a few feet outside the white wash). This is because you want to go up, not out.

2. Use a tall edging position rather than a seated edging position (you used a seated for a wake jump/spins, but for this trick you want a tall position to give you more tension in the rope...the line tension is what catapults you around the handle for the roll).

3. Come in on your progressive tall edge and at the trough of the wake, really load up the line by leaning back...max line tension at the top of the wake is key to the pop you need for this trick.

4. Stay on edge the entire time and at the trough, think about standing tall on your tippie toes...if you think about this along with loading up the line, you will get great pop.

5. Wait longer to initiate the roll than you would think (you don't want to throw it off the wake...you want to wait for the pop).

Once you've stood tall off the wake (on your tippie toes), loaded up the line at the trough, and feel the boost, then initiate the roll. If you follow these steps, you should be landing it in no time.

This trick is all about line tension, constant edge, standing tall, and waiting for the pop.

The Book has a great section on this trick. Hope this helps.
Old    Andrew (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-28-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
mispella...one last thing, a bigger wake makes this trick way easier. I noticed in one of your other wake-pic posts that your wake was a little small. Add some more weight in that CC 2001 and you'll get a great wake for throwing inverts. I have a small DD MC X-5 and I run 600lb sac in the bow, 500 lb sac in the rear trunck, 600lb sac behind the motor box in front of the truck and then about an additional 300lbs in launch pad blocks. With this amount of ballast, the backroll almost throws itself...you have to do little work.
Old    Chad Douglas (doogles)      Join Date: May 2004       08-09-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
I agree. A bigger wake is the answer to everyone problem in this forum. Well, maybe not everyone, but it sure makes riding more fun!!!!
Old    Bert Melchner (boarder33)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-25-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
I started learning backrolls at the end of last summer. This summer I didn't really start working on them until recently. After some training with a coach, we found a great way to complete this trick. Instead of putting my chin to my lead shoulder, I put it down to my lead arm pit :-) Sound funny, but it works. This differs from "The Book" method, but I land it every time. Much cleaner. Now I'm really waiting to initiate the flip. After a big pop, wait, then throw it down. Very cool. Throws itself. Working on a grab or landing revert next.
Old    Loren (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-31-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Bert,

Are you throwing a mexican backroll then, or is it still a true backroll? I'm having a hard time picturing a normal backroll initiated by the 'armpit' maneuver :-)
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-01-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
yeah, mee too Bert? Any pics?