Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-13-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
Just had my boat transfered from CA to Wa reg. The dept of Lic wanted to have me pay additional tax for a boat I bought in Ca in 2004, keep in ca til now since I have now moved here.

Talk about double taxation that is BULL----!!
I argued for about 2 hours how I am not going to pay sales tax 2x!!

Finally they called the Dept of Rev and they had to straighten out the DOL. Why the hell to they try to get away with this need to be sued !!
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-13-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
At least we don't have any state income tax in WA!

(Message edited by eaglejackson on May 13, 2006)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-13-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
but to pay a sales tax for something I already bought and owend for sometime in another state? How greedy is that..
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-13-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
Yeah, that's bogus.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-13-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   

I told you in a previous post that you would have to get a waiver from the Dept. of revenue. The DOL agencies are privat companies and they cannot waive the sales tax without a voucher from the Dept of Rev. They just conveinently neglect to tell you about the voucher, that is why I gave you a heads up.

You will also have to pay an excise tax on your boat when you register each year, and some tax on the trailer. Both of these taxes can be written off as well as all sales tax you pay each year.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-13-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Yeah I remember Troy but they refused to call DOR, I don't pay an excise tax either because of being a non res (Navy) of the state.

I just couldn't believe they refused to call, I had already talked with DOR and they said I don't need a voucher because I can show proof of living out of state for a period of time with the boat before I came here. They told DOL the same same after DOL wanted to argue with them, they even wanteed me to pay for the tax on the stereo eq, trailor, spare tire, etc. It was to a point I wanted to reach over the counter and .....
Old     (mattkrull)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-13-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
I tried to register mine last week and the guy at the DMV told me to get something from MN showing how much tax I paid, and they would deduct that amount. I haven't done it yet, but I'll let you know how it works
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-13-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Yes, I agree it is BS.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-13-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
yes a copy of your contract that way they know you paid a sales tax then what they try and do is charge you the difference from your state to them, ie mn is say 7% here 8% they want an additional 1% from you! F that, use Dept of Rev.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-13-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   

They must get a percentage of revenue or else they would be a lot more straight up when we go in. How hard would it be to say "Have you paid sales tax in another state?" And then explain what to do next based on your answer.

That's a good break on the excise tax, It is not cheap on a new boat.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-13-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
excies is BS also, they did nothing to earn a sales tax that would be like towing your boat from WA thru 3 states to get to AZ and paying a tax for each state..or better yet selling your home in CA then moving to another state and that state wanting part of your profit (income tax or some just need to get thier heads out of thier arse's. they did nothing to earn it so bug off!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2006, 3:29 AM Reply   
Kenny, It's a use-tax... not considered sales tax. From what I know, it classifies as something completely other than a sale-based tax and cannot be avoided even if sales tax has already been paid on the boat. Sucks.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-14-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
that maybe what they try to tell the public but when you ask for a contract then say you paid 7.75% percent our state is 8.5% you need to pay the difference, that my friend is sales tax any way you look at it. A use tax would not charge you the difference it would be a flat fee based on weight or size or something.

I did avoid it because I got the Dept of Rev involved as recommended by Troy.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I've had lots of problems with Washington State's Licensing offices. I've had to do some 'unusual' licensing things - i.e. Repos, Total Titles. The best thing I can recommend from my experience, is don't take it personally - if they give you havoc or they're dip-sticks, simply get up and leave, and find the next office. I've found night and day differences from office to office. I've even found that the privately run offices are a little easier to work with, because they depend on quality customer service for repeat business. Sure it costs $3-$10 more, but maybe worth it.

While on this rant, can anyone tell me why my car costs $40 to license, and my boat costs $160 to license? I guess boats missed the i-695 ($30 car tabs.) Oh well....
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
Kenny, in Washington state, it is a use tax. It would be a sales tax only if a purchase had been made... you are bringing in outside goods of high value, and it's their way of collecting on the value of the boat without interefering with sales tax issues from other states. it's just the way it works.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-14-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
how bout taxing the stereo eq, the gear, spare tire, is that high value? Sorry Anodyne it IS BS and total rip off of hard working people. Like I said they have no reason/right to collect on something they have/had nothing to do with. You say it has nothing to do with sales tax then why do they do it ask for a contract then say you paid 7.75% percent our state is 8.5% you need to pay the difference, that my friend IS sales tax any way you look at it, they don't give you money back if it is the opposite!! Funny thing Dept of Rev even said itis BS and they wish the DOL would get their s--- straight.

After I got Dept of Rev involved it was only like 60 bucks to reg. (LOL)
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-14-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   

You are right. The difference is sales tax. The excise tax is a luxury tax, much like CA. The only diff is they collect when you register and california sends you an assesment in the mail.

We don't pay income tax, but trust me, we make up for it in other areas.

At the goldf course I manage, we have to charge sales tax and use tax on golf and range balls. Comes to 13.8% sales tax.

Just remember, you can write off all sales tax. There is a standard deductible for day to day sales tax and you can write off big ticket items seperately. It does help a bit when you but a new boat or car.

(Message edited by liveoz on May 14, 2006)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-14-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
Yep with the help of you and others I have become more informed about this state, not that I am bashing it. I do keep all reciepts for everything...
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-15-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
Kenny - I had the same beef when I moved here and went to register the boat. They wanted to cherge me 8.5 % on sales tax. Went downtown and raised the roof. Found out you pay the difference between the sales tax you paid and the current WA sales Tax. Like Anodyne said they call it a "waterway use tax". The St Gov'ts way of keeping you from going into Oregon and buying one tax free and then registering it here without paying sales tax. Definitely SUX.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-15-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Kenny, bash it all you want, it is set-up badly. When I moved up here from OR I went to register my PU. SInce I had bought it within a couple of months of moving to WA I ended up having to pay sales tax on it. It was a great intro to the state. The laws are really quirky and you have to do a ton of research or you can get royally screwed..........
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-15-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
yeah I can honestly say this does not look like a state I want to retire in (less than 10 years)

I can understand if it was less than like 90 days to stop people from crossing the boarder, but then again ain't this america so that you have the choice?
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-15-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
when I moved to Washington the first time I attempted to register my car one of the clerks was sound asleep at her desk... Finally they called my number and I got it handled, looked back on my way out and she was still out like a light!!! They made us pay the taxes too, although I think its deductible on your taxes anyway, so you should get it back.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:38 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us