I spent a bout a year commuting from Ohio to Waco. The Brazos River looks like an awesome place to ride, is there where you're going to set up? There are others with more experience than I have, but I'm going through now what you're contemplating, I'm working on setting up a wakesurf and wake board comp in Ohio.
Go to the USA Water Ski web site and find the grass roots page. There’s a step-by-step guide that you’ll find very helpful.
I’d say your top first tasks will be:
1) Gain permit to use your venue.
2) Affiliate with a boat/ski club
3) Affiliate with INT or USA Water Ski
4) Talk to local boat dealers to build sponsor ship support
5) Get your club and or friends involved.