Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-17-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Has anyone heard of this line driver made by Rockford Fosgate/Install Edge? I can't find any specs on it and wanted to know if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks.

http://www.installedge.com/products/product_details.jsp?productID=1113

Upload

(Message edited by jroyal on April 17, 2006)
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-17-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
I found out this line driver only adds up to 4 volts. I was looking for around 8 volts.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-17-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
For that, you need a full sized preamp. It has to have a switching power supply to get up to 8 vac with 12vdc in.

I used a Planet Audio pld-6, six channel preamp with 8vac out. 3 stereo pairs, boat tower sub:-) Actually around 10 vac on the bench, it puts out. I found one on Ebay for 40$ plus shipping.

Here's one on there now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-6CH-LINE-DRIVER-6-CHANNEL-NEW_W0QQitemZ9712563381QQcategoryZ14932QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-17-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
That PA looks good I would stay away from cheep ling drivers you dont want to send a powerfull crappy signal to your amp's IMO stick to th e Audio control or the PG line Drivers
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-17-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
I had the same concern when I bought it, so I put the planet audio one on the bench and put a sine wave in from a calibrated sig generator, tested THD by comparing the input to the output with a dual channel scope. It is good 2 go. It's cheap because it's a closeout, they quit making them. Not many people need that many channels. List price was 250$ or so originally.

It is big, it is about 12"x 12", it's built in an amp chassis.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-17-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
Psyclone, can you calculate THD without looking at the harmonic content from the output of the DUT and comparing it to the fundamental frequency used to excite the device? Or do you have a fancy scope that will measure it for you?

(Message edited by WakeProdigy on April 17, 2006)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-18-2006, 5:52 AM Reply   
My scope does it
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-18-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. I bought the Audio Contol Overdrive before I got Psyclones' advice.

I decided to get one because apparently my XMD1 doesn't hardly put out any voltage when my IPod is plugged through the CD changer input. I have the gain turned up all the way on all 3 of my amps and I can turn up the volume all the way on the XMD1 and the Ipod. I doesn't distort at all (which is wierd.) I hoping the line driver will give me more volume.

Thanks again.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-18-2006, 6:11 AM Reply   
Very nice. I need to uprgrade my scope. I'm still stuck using a spectrum analyzer.

(Message edited by wakeprodigy on April 18, 2006)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-18-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
You can also do it with LabView or Matlab, that's (a little) cheaper and more useful than a big ass scope!!

I was originally going to get an Audiocontrol Matrix, but three different vendors cancelled the order, I think they were having manufacturing problems or something. For 1/4 the cost, I figured I'd try the planet audio. Works great so far.