Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (cable_rocker)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-28-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
is there anybody how knows the song in the 009 video?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-28-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
So is there additional footage of Sims riding away or not? Because if not then what is the difference between this attempt and Soven @ Parks DU Contest? Maybe I am wrong but Soven landed with the handle and lost it riding away?
Old     (wakeskateal)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-28-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
I talked to my friend who rides with Matt sims (Alex Grayden) in Alabama he says he rode away and then dropped the handle
Old    tfdryda            01-29-2006, 2:09 AM Reply   
The song is "what's the dillio" by Mest.
Old     (cable_rocker)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-29-2006, 3:06 AM Reply   
thx colby!
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-29-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
Maybe John Avent is right, but what puzzles me the most is why is this posted now at the end of January when the video looks to be in the fall at the latest?? Still hope he made it-looks so sick!
Old    upupnaway            01-29-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
Outstanding try on the trick.
Based on the rules of the contest, he did not land it.
He made the four handle passes, but he did not spin 1080 as described in the rules.
He still had 90 degrees of turn left to go when his back foot hit the water and sent up spray.
The rules of the contest only allow for 30 degrees of spin after touching the water.

If he rode away, I would totally consider that a 1080. Based on the rules of the bounty, that should not count.
From the bounty......"The entire 1080-degree spin must occur in the air and no credit will be given for sliding any more than 30 degrees of the spin on the water."
Old    sk8blvd            01-29-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Hello everybody,

I have a little hint for everybody that I'm sure you are all well aware of but.... If you watch the video of this sickness in Quicktime press pause you can scroll through the video frame by frame, BUT if you hold down the right arrow to kind of fast forward you will get a feel for how fast this cat actually spins!!! It looks pretty good and he lands pretty square over his feet. Either way im stoked its all progressing and its all on film!! holla
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-29-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
i vote that brandon lee gets kicked off. hilstchereredferd we missed you this weekend.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-29-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
a full 1080 rotation would not have his board pointing at the boat. he easily completed the full rotation if you look at where his board was poinbting when he took off to where it landed. I dont care what anybody says, but if he does rde away from it it is no doubt a 1080.
Old     (justagirl)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-30-2006, 4:33 AM Reply   
too bad, so damn close...
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-30-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
Looks like he actually over-rotated a bit after he touched down, which may be what lost it for him, he couldn't edge away because he had no tension on the line, kind of opposite from what caused Soven to miss his attempt at the DU contest. In watching the "teaser" clip, I was certain he had it because he came around so good and was over his board with knees forward, it never ocurred to me he might over-rotate. Would have been amazing if he had just done a surface 180 at the end to complete the 12, but I'm sure he probably was not thinking about passing the handle again.

I still say it will be awesome if an underground rider like Matt sticks it before any of the usual big name headliners.

(Message edited by dococ on January 30, 2006)
Old     (rob_kc)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-30-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
So there is still a chance for me to be the next 1080 on vid. Yyyeeeeeessssssss
Old    upupnaway            01-30-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
I would have considered it a 1080 as well without a doubt had he landed it.

Unfortunately, according to the rules of the contest, it was not.
His board was almost perfectly parallel to the wake he took off of. According to the rules, he would have had to hit the water within 30 degrees of the position he took off from. When he hit water, he was only around 990-1010 degrees.

To the judges of this contest- I am playing devils advocate.
The rules say the entire spin must be in the air.
From the board leaving the water until it touches down on this attempt, based on the frame by frame view, the rotation was clearly not a complete 1080 within 30 degrees. Had he ridden away with the handle, would he have collected the bounty?
If so, then some clarification is needed on the 30 degree rule.

Say someone leaves the water just like in the video clip, does 3 complete spins and the board lands in the position on the left in the drawing below.
Since the landing position is 45 degrees short of the take off position, would it be accurate to say that by the rules of the contest, it is not a 1080?

Perhaps it is something to contemplate before giving out the prize.

45 degrees
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       01-30-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
so where is the rest of the video???
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-30-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
on the front page. click on the 6.0 mb quicktime movie in the matt sims link
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-30-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
DAMN IT....I was right.

Next time.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-30-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
I think we would have given it to him. The main reason for those strict rules are to avoid any half-assed completions of a 1080. The spirit of the rules it to perform a legit 1080. Had he held onto the handle and ridden away in control, that would have been a legit 1080.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-30-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
has the full vid been posted yet
Old    upupnaway            01-30-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
Awesome.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            01-30-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
some one PLEASE post the full video in windows media format!! PLEASE!!
Thank you
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-30-2006, 10:59 PM Reply   
Can't you just download Quicktime? It's free.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-30-2006, 11:30 PM Reply   
Stand alone player WITHOUT iTunes

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       01-30-2006, 11:37 PM Reply   
Quit yer complanin!! Here you go in WMV goodness:

http://www.wakepics.com/img/18183

-Steve

Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       01-30-2006, 11:37 PM Reply   
(sorry bout the watermark, you get what you pay for...)
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-31-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
what a great AD for 10 eighty...post a video point them to the website, and the kid dosn't even land it!
Old    blind5            01-31-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
so....whats the point of the vid?

just to build people up and let them down....that is suppose to be a good thing? i don't think that they thought this one out
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-31-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
To get 100+ posts on wakeworld. Any publicity is good publicity. Everyone is back talking about the mythical 1080 and how close riders are getting to pulling it off. I don't see anything wrong with this tactic. Gotta admit it's a good attempt.
Old    blind5            01-31-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
the problem is that he can make attempts like that one everytime he rides
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-31-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
Holy crizap! I'll pay for the counseling sessions it's going to take for you to get over this.

It was a lot of fun and everybody but you seemed to enjoy guessing as to whether or not he made it. Plus, they got to see some great footage. Sorry to ruin your week (or year). We'll be sure to "think things out" more in the future.
Old    blind5            01-31-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
you don't know what you are talking about.

think about it
no wetsuit in the middle of the winter for starters (even FL is using at least a neo top)
failure to produce the goods that everyone really wanted to see
which in turn results in a failure to earn repect in the wakeboarding community (Matt s. apparently already has some), which is what ten-80 as a company really NEEDS.

and on top of it all i didn't even have to guess
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-31-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Wow, I had no idea my master plan had gone so horribly awry. My apologies. I shall immediately institute a new policy for all employees of eWake, Inc. and all its affiliates and subsidiaries; no more misguided shenanigans.

Come on, lighten up. We just posted a cool video in a clever way to make it fun for everyone. No need to over-analyze it.

"I'm going to pistol whip the next person that says shenanigans!"
Old    blind5            01-31-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
which makes them not really shinanigans at all

(Message edited by blind5 on January 31, 2006)
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-31-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
ouch
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-01-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
I had to come back to this thread cuz I knew there'd be some pissin' and moanin'.

I find it hard to believe that Matt would feel the same way considering the exposure he just got, Rob.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-01-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
keep doing what you are doing Dave, you are just fine.

Old     (brandon_lee)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Rob, I am suprised that you have not been voted to get kicked off yet. I got on the list about 20 posts above.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-01-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Brandon - Rob's already been through that stage, and probably should be kicked off for talking that way to the owner of the site.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-01-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
I agree...

Just to add,

I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT YOU DAVE..ok your website!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-01-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
I agree with big ed, great website with alot of great people that take part especially Dave (one of the cooler site owners/moderators I have encountered). Back to the topic, I am more impressed with the 009 than the 1080 attempt (which is impressive too). I have always been amazed with osmosis based tricks, but the 009 takes it to another level.

(Message edited by srh00z on February 01, 2006)
Old     (rob_kc)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
A tad confused here! I seem to be the only one named Rob on this thread, yet I have the slightest as to what you guys(Brandon, Shawn and big Ed) are refering to. What exactly should I be kicked off for?
Old    00wakesetter            02-01-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
Wow
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-01-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
Rob Cattau, the guy that posts under the name blind5 is the one they are talking about is named Rob, and his last few exchanges with Dave Williams are what they are referring to.
Old     (rob_kc)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Thanks.
Old    blind5            02-02-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
yea, me

I only argue about the actions that companies and riders in our sport take to keep the sport from becoming legit. Matt Sims is legit, i am not arguing that.

Lets see if i can open your minds a little.

a 10-80 is a trick, right? while yes I do agree that it is an exceptionaly difficult trick, I don't agree with the attempt of forcing progression and someone to land this trick. (maybe you "west coast" riders will agree) This forcing the progression of sticking something such as a 10-80 or moby 5 or whatever, slowes down the progression of style.

the X games does the exact same thing in a different way. Expecially in snowboard, every year these riders are forced to stick another 180 on to an already huge spin. Where as, yea it is incredible, but i would just much rather see them win the event because of style and smoothness, some corked out 7 or 9 with a steezed out grab during the whole trick, then just stomp the landing. when a trick is put on a pedi stool(sp?) it makes the rider focus too much on it and not his/her riding.
Old     (vinnyp)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-02-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
STEEZ IS THE BEEZ KNEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-02-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
Would you prefer the reward be for a grabbed 1080? :-)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-02-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
blind5, when did you move to florida? I saw you ride a few years back at a contest down in Panama City with the Auburn wakeboard team, I am from b'ham, but living in ft. lauderdale.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-02-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
My goal was to put the 1080 on a bar stool, not a "pedi stool." Hopefully, I haven't set the sport back too far. :-)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-02-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Did someone say Bar.

Blind 5, dude Moby 5's have been done many many times.

This whole thing is getting way out of hand. I think its great to see someone trying it, shows people are pushing themselves. I agree with Blind5 on the style over tech but still its cool seeing people trying stuff thats new.
You cant tell me you dont enjoy watching your buddies try something new behind the boat. Personally I think we should see more videos of people trying some really new things just to show what people are up to and what will soon be landed. Plus it shows the effort thats going into landing these things.
Keep up the good work Dave.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-02-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
the whole style thing is funny too. people put style over having fun.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-02-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
Last I heard you have to learn a 3 before a grabbed 3, a 5 before a grabbed 5, a 7 before a grabbed 7, and so on. Lets face it, any new trick is good for the sport, and is progression.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-02-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
I have fun without style every time I strap on the board! :-)

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-02-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
i'm not sure i get the whole style argument either. unless you're a contest/team/sponsored/video rider, what's the point of going out and specifically practicing your style? you can't see how you look in the air, so are you riding for yourself or the people in the boat? stlye will come naturally with progression as you feel more comfortable on a given trick and figure out what you're best at. when i try--usually in vein--to grab my board, i do it because it's hard and i like the feeling of landing a new trick. if it turns out that it looks good in the air, that's a bonus, but not my goal
Old    blind5            02-02-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
steven- i moved about a month ago.

dave- i hate how you turn every debate into full on argument with your sarcastic little comments. I just see things differently from a lot of other people. i am not arguing.

coltman- the point is not how many times a trick has been done, and no one said that style wasn't tech. Don't you enjoy seeing a trick landed rather than bailed on a video, some bails are good to show i addmit. A really new trick may grab your attention shown before being landed, but doesn't it stand out so much more when you see it stomped? EX: Murray's KGB 5 a few years ago

timmy- i think its kind of funny that people put landing a certain trick over having fun. wouldn't that be considered the same thing? I have a lot more fun working on style rather than a new trick

ryan- I understand that you have to learn it with out a grab first. I just don't see why we over exaggerate new and difficult tricks like that. Back to my previous post, x-games over exaggerates every newly learned trick, and the over look every grab and tweak that were completly sick in the riders run. It is very good for our sport to continue to progress with "new tricks", but is equally important for style to progress as well. If style didn't progress then we might as well be trick sking.

dave- that's a great example of style and having fun, noting like a bs shiffty

Jeff- style is everything, it is the way you walk, the way you brush your teeth and the way you ride. It isn't exactly "PRACTICING", it is something that you naturally "figure out". Exactly how you said it "with progression", only one thing wrong with that- it is part of progresion
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-02-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Sorry for the sarcasm. I just have a tough time taking wakeboarding as seriously as you do.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-02-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
I agree with him, style is everthing.
Old    blind5            02-02-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
i am just extremly passionate about wakeboarding

this topic has some interesting statements in it as well. the first post. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/281438.html?1138937320

(Message edited by blind5 on February 02, 2006)
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-02-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
You have to understand something. The 1080 is about more than just landing it. It's about standing out in a certain ways, in my opinion, to other sports. Guys on snowboards are sticking 1080s, it would be awesome to say "Hey, I stuck a 1080". Honestly, the whole style thing. Style is awesome. But. if there is a contest about a 1080, i see no reason as to why people need to get upset because they would rather see some style.

there is nothing, however, anything wrong with being passionate about wakeboarding.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-02-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
I think that there is room for style and technical ability in the sport and that both are important. It's where the two meet that seperates riders in my opinion. The riders that combine both are the ones that I enjoy watching the most.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-03-2006, 6:07 AM Reply   
Dave sarcasm on the board...hello, have you ever had a conversation with Dave? He's hilarious, but sarcasm? never!
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-03-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
Brilliant marketing by WakeWorld and 1080.

Blind5, you are not passionate about wakeboarding, you are passionate about trying to change wakeboarding.
maybe 10% of the wakeboard market reads the mags, sites, brochures. Very few know which brands are hot, or which riders. They/we do it becasue we love it. I don't care if they listen to Huey Lewis, grab tindy, and rock a Hydroslide with straps. All I care about is if they are having fun and smiling. That is what the sport is about. Not if you grabbed between your feet.

I just happen to listen to Barry Manilow have style dripping from my pores.

Hey Dave, they spelled CWB wrong on the bottom of your board. Send that back to me and I'll get it fixed.

Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-03-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
blind5, when you open posts with "Let's see if I can open your minds a little", and "you don't know what you're talking about", you are essentially calling people stupid. Our minds are closed and we don't think and you, with your superior ability to see the big picture, will graciously condescend to lift us to your level. When you imply such things, you are the one in the above exchange, "turning a debate into an argument," in my opinion. Don't attack and it will lessen your chances of being attacked.
However, I like your passion about style. If you haven't seen Dog Town, though about skateboarding, you will dig it.

Dave, I agree, great marketing and on Monday, I checked early to see if Sims landed it.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-03-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
I'll see you at the boat show in a couple of hours. If I bring the board, will you be able to fix that logo while I wait? :-)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-03-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
P.S. Excellent post, Steve!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-03-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
While Blind5 is raining on the lighthearted fun parade, what he is saying is the truth. The contest and the post pretty much fabricate what we enjoy to be natural, and spotlight the fact that riders are going "over-techie" to win a grand. Kinda generating a dog and pony show. I guess some of us who have been around alot (and have no commercial interest in wakeboarding) hate to see focus on tech. We dont want to see a competition end up like XGames snowboarding where every person throws their version of a 1080 on every hit, or like FMX with one backflip after another.

I know it was lighthearted fun, therefore I wouldnt have said a word if I was Blind5. However, he does present a valid point.

Old    blind5            02-06-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
Jason- Thanks man.

steve b- you know me so well, im just in it for the money!

O'Neill- thanks for the input. and yes dog town is great.