Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    Wilson Lee (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-18-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
I was looking at my engine this weekend and saw my exhaust manifold was really rusting out. I only ride in salt water, major reason. Has anyone changed there exhaust manifolds? How difficult would it be and what would the cost be or any tips? I was planning to change the gaskets on the risers but the manifolds look alot more involved. This is on a Indmar 350 engine. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old    jmo52            04-18-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
When running in salt you should do a riser gasket change along with cleaning out the water jackets every year. Before you remove the riser you must drain the manifolds. If you dont that water will drain into the block/ cylinders. To do so just remove the plug or hose from the low side of the manifold. Once you have the riser off get a drill bit thats big enough to fit in the water jackets. Then put the bit in the drill and hog out the water jackets. You just want to remove rust and corrosion no raw metal. Obviously you want to clean the gasket surface. Use a chisel but go slow dont gouge the surface. The whole time check for cracks. if the riser or manifold is cracked spend the money for a new one. I would suggest taking the manifold off and clean the same way. You can do it in place but you must be very careful not to drop crud into the exhaust port. If you find no cracks and things look ok you may want to have riser/manifold resurfaced at a machine shope. If not you can use a belt sander but you must keep it parallel with the gasket surface you could end up doing more harm than good. On reinstallation get stainless riser gaskets insted of paper. The next time you go to do this the stainless gaskets will just pop off so you don't have to risk gouging the gaket surface with a chisel getting off those paper ones. Something we do also is use what is called aviation glue on the gaskets for the riser. I know it probably say not to use any kind of sealant but we have had good results in doing so. Good luck I hope this helps.
Old    Wilson Lee (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-19-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
Monk

Thx for the detailed response and advice. The risers look pretty easy to remove and a mechanic friend recommeded some paste to put on the gasket that will dissolve only the gasket. Can you give me the steps to remove the manifold, are there gaskets for the manifold as well? It looks pretty tight in there and I am afraid will be getting over my head if it is more than just pulling off bolts.
Old    jmo52            04-19-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
Pulling the manifolds are not that bad. The only trouble you may have is the bolts may be corroded in there. Just work them back and forth slowly. If you can't get them don't force them because they will break. If stuck you will need to heat them with a torch. If the bolts do come there is nothing to the manifold. Just pull the bolts and off it comes. There is a manifold gasket that you will need to get. Dont put any sealant on this gasket. Try to get the manifold off it will make cleaning it much easier/safer. If you can't get it off stuff a rag in the exhaust port so nothing goes down in there. As far as paste to remove an old gasket I can't say that I've ever used it. A chisel or razor blade will work. All gasket surfaces must be COMPLETELY FREE of old gasket material on the install. Give er hell. Oh yea before you install take a blow gun and blow out all the water jackets and exhaust ports on the manifold/riser.