Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-20-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
In the past couple months we have gone over boat speakers and tower speakers many times. What I have learned is that not everybody uses their speakers the same way I use mine so sometimes my suggestions are wrong for their use.

For towers I find that there are two kinds of listeners. Rider listeners and beach listeners. The needs between these situations greatly differ and it's difficult to give advice without knowing which kind of listener I am talking to. By rider listeners I mean people that want to hear good clear sound at the end of the tow rope, by beach listeners I mean people that want a nice sounding system to listen to when the boat is parked and the engine is off. Things like compression tweeters are interesting to rider listeners and things like battery banks are important to beach listeners.

This also makes a difference in boat speakers as well. If somebody is listening with the boat stopped to their cabin speakers at moderate levels then they are going to be more critical to a listener that only listens while the motor is running. The earlier listener will want a "softer" sounding speaker, the latter will probably want a "brighter" speaker.

If you keep this in mind when you head to a speaker showroom, or when you ask questions on this board. It might help you avoid making a mistake when it comes time to plunk down your money.
Old    sculpter            03-21-2005, 12:42 AM Reply   
I like your post, this is totally true. Its actually true in all cituations including car stereos. I always get people asking, "what is going to sound good?" My answer is always, "it all depends on what you like." I am a person who likes a loud system but everything is super clean... no distortion, no clipping. So someone else could just want stock speakers with a 5000 watt amp running their 3 15s, as long as everyone and their mom can hear them from 20 blocks away. Its so hard to put a company onb the table and say ok this is what your going to like. It may be what I like, but you dont. So with alot of questions on this board people ask about what kind of system they should put in their boat. It all comes down to money and how loud and balanced you want the whole system. You could spend $2000 or $20,000 on a single system and not be happy with either one. I think you either just have to take the leap at what you think is going to work, or hear something firsthand before you buy it. This is just my opinion on buying equiptment.
Old    bigthunder            03-21-2005, 4:33 AM Reply   
Mikeski:
Is it possible to find a "win-win" for both scenarios? You have posted many times with great advice and input. In a perfect world, if I had 10-15 minutes of your time, I'd ask you help map out the entire process, i.e. battery selection, pergo/solenoid to switch the battery banks, cockpit speakers, etc. You bring many relevant, thought provoking comments to the table. All too often people get caught up in purchasing a certain aspect of a system without understanding or thinking in regards to the end use product. Many thanks...
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-21-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
Mikeski, great post!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2005, 4:44 PM Reply   
Funny thing, I get questions from time to time about batteries. My boat has one factory battery and one factory alternator, hopefully it will stay that way. The way I use my boat is start it and go riding, turn it off and put it away. If I can't keep things running well off the single battery I might look into a pair of golf cart 6v batts but I would first need to look into the charging/discharging rates.

In addition to being the king of Bling, Grant has lot's of experience with battery banks. I think the key-on both batteries, key-off single battery approach with a solenoid is a good solution for small systems, it was discussed about a month ago. For larger systems like Jude's X9, Harold's, or Grants, you are going to need 5+ deep cycle batteries running in parallel to push the current demand for any length of time.

Harald, the marketing slogan should probably really be "lose-lose" as it usually describes significant compromizes between two competing needs. Understanding how the stereo will be used is as important as understanding how a 4 wheel drive vehicle will be used. Make the wrong assumption and things just don't work very well.