Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    Mike (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
I have never boarded in the winter. This weekend the air temp is going to be in the low 60's with a water temp right at 50 degrees.

My question is, would a half wet suit be enough for these temps or would I need a full one? Or, given the temp, will I need a dry suit? I would like to buy a halfy becuase I think I will use it more often. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old    Mike O'Callaghan (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-20-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
I used a shorty wetsuit in 52 degree water last year. Did a dock start, and when I finally went down, it took my breath away. For a second, I honestly couldn't even talk to the driver when he came around. After a bit, it became bearable actually.

To answer your question, sure it's possible. How bad do ya wanna board?
Old    Stanfield (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-20-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
That's drysuit weather for me.
Old    Jamie Korstrom (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-20-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
My dad got me a bare full wetsuit, and I tried to go in the water, but it was still pretty cold. I don't like cold water very much though.

To think of it, my buddy would probably try it with only shorts on. He's does crazy stuff like that.
Old    Matt (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-20-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
definatly a drysuit for me, or not riding at all, i like the warm water and air temperature. like the 85 degree water and the 80 degree temp.
Old    Misty (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-20-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
I wore a full wetty last winter for the Delta. Even when air was at or below 40, and water was right around there too. It depends on your tolerance. I would wear a shorty in that weather.
Old    hundo            01-20-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
wear a Oneill physco2 and you won't feel and cold water at all
Old    whitechocolate            01-20-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
Some people will be ok in a wetsuit. Some people will not. Your shurely not going to die or anything but Its not my Idea of a fun time.
If you use the wet suite and the boat has a hot shower Use it it will warm you up quick, before and after you get in the water. A blast of hot water in the suit can help take the nip off when you get in . Have fun
Old    Clubmyke (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-20-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
would suggest drysuit...was out today with a water temp of 57-59 degrees and is was ultra comfortable..

i have been in 50 degree water with a drysuit in lake elsie and IT IS FRIGGIN COLD ( mostly hands and feet- gloves help out alot)..

a drysuit with microfiber fleece sweats will keep it workable..

(Message edited by clubmyke on January 20, 2005)
Old    Jamie Korstrom (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-21-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
It would be great to get a drysuit, but what about the hands and feet. What does everyone do for their feet? Or just bare feet?
Old    Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-21-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
your feet are in your bindings and that helps a little. The coldest parts for me are my hands and head (longer hair) 50 is freakin cold! Definatley say wear a drysuit. you may not die in 50 water w/ a wetsuit but you'll be uncomfortable and will probably be sick the following week.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on January 21, 2005)
Old    Mark B (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-24-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
Drysuit for sure. Your feet will stay warm, wear gloves or just keep your hands out of the water. You'll have a blast!
Old    D C (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-24-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
I've trunked it at 56 water and 60 air, deep water start, and I wouldn't suggest it, I cramped up pretty quick, but it's definately bearable with a shorty or full. I went out last christmas with Frew at canyon and used a drysuit, but it was about 40 air and water that day. you should be fine with you wetsuit, but, as above, I difinately suggest gloves
Old    hyperlitenerd (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-24-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
I did a spring wet suit last yr on our test drive (knees and elbows) ari was 56 water 53, the air felt warm with just short and tee shirt so i figured id be fine, not, jump in, do the lil sinky thing we all do, start hyperventalting, the guy on the test drive thought i was going to die, but you just have to get 1 word out go! as soon as I was up in the air, it was better, but i was done within like 10 min. get a dry suit.
Old    Flight007 (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-24-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
I just got a new Bare Ultra Drysuit and tried it out in my pool yesterday. The temp outside was about 35 and the pool water around 38 When I went in the water I could feel the water was cold but it wasnt to bad. My feet and hands on the other hand felt like the were goin gto fall off. I have a shorty wetrsuit and last time I used it was in October when the temp outside was about 65-70 and the water around 60. When I jumped into the water I wanted to scream lol maybe Im a wuss though
Old    Big Ed (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-24-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Anything other than a drysuit in that temp is INSANE!I don't know how you guy doit out there with just a wetsuit!!
Definetly not fun when it's cold!