Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    r_dub            06-01-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Anyone ever lost key's off of a dock? If so, your as stupid as I am. Im talking car key's not boat key's. Im not that stupid, those have a float attached.
Anyway, Im down in Tennessee, two states away mind you. And we just got the boat in the water and tied to the dock. My mom is using this vacuum cleaner to clean out some mud that was just tracked in. So, Im standing on the dock with my wallet and car key's in hand, getting ready to run them back to the campsite, knowning that I dont need them on the boat. She then ask's me to unplug the vacuum cleaner that was plugged into an outlet on the dock. Well, the chord was beeing stuburn, so I give a good pull and my FREAKIN keys fly out of my hand right into the FREAKIN water. And I had a FREAKIN melt down! Im thinking Im totally screwed. I mean, we are talking 10 ft deep murky muddy water. Anyway, to make this long story short, and get to my point. There was this old man working at the marina who had a 4 inch magnet tied to a string. BRIALLANT!!!! I guess I wasnt the first jackass to do this. It took us about 4 try's and we had my keys back. Lesson learned.
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       06-01-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Well I havent lost my keys in the water but I had lost my $80 dollar sunglasses in our canal in which I got in the water to look for them. While looking for them I stepped on a barnacle and cut the hell out of my foot. Thats when I gave up and bought a new pair.
Old    r_dub            06-01-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
I have lost sunglasses also. And you know what sucks. Im sure these high end companies could make a pair that floats. But oh wait, then you wouldnt have to by a new pair every few years!
Old    xxplosive            06-01-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
One thing that I do like about the lake I ride on, Lake Austin, is that the water is pretty shallow and clear right around the dock. In the past week we have dropped a pair of sunglasses and two CDs. The cds was funny, I told my friend to grab the case of cds and hes like what case and pretends to throw it in the water and 2 of the cds go flying into the water, we were all like Oh NO! Glactic! So we made him swim down and get the Glactic CD, and some crappy burned one. Anyones that was a mega story that prolly wasnt neccesary/.q
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-01-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Same thing happened to me last summer.....

My wife and I had just picked up our boat after buying it from a private individual. Being only a few blocks away from a ramp at a near by lake we thought we'd take it for a quick spin. After we were done with the ride we come back to the dock. I hop out to back down the truck so my wife can drive the boat up on the trailer.

Just as I get out of the boat I realize that I don't have my keys. My wife has drifted the boat away from the dock about three feet. I start to think that I should tell her to bring the boat back so I can get the keys, but then I think to myself "heck, she can throw a football 20 yards with a tight spiral. Surely she can toss me the keys"

Just as she begins to throw them I tell her to throw them hard. Better too far than too short. Just as she lets go of the keys I can swear that things began to move in slow motion. Rather than her throwing the keys forward she throws them straight up in the air. I reach as far as I can, in slow motion mind you, but the keys barely touch the tips of my fingers as they fall into the murky water just off the dock.

As I said earlier, we were just picking up the boat and decided at the last minute to go for a ride. Therefore, I am not in board shorts, I am in my work clothes. Unfortunately, I didn't have a magnet. I had to strip down to my skivies and dive to the bottom of the lake and blindly search through the muck for my keys. I found them on the third dive.

Needless to say, I put one of those floaty things on my truck keys EVERY time I go to the lake!
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       06-01-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
For me its not like buying a new pair of sunglasses every couple years its more like every 6 months I always lose them maybe next time I will decide to buy a cheaper pair.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-01-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
Test your floaty things!

My buddy tossed his keys out of his boat to the dock (no worries since they had a float), catcher missed, and they sank like a rock.

Old    whitechocolate            06-01-2004, 9:31 PM Reply   
Ahhhh key's and boat's dont mix. Im so glad I dont have to have keys for my boat(nautique). I also have a great set up for my truck with the stock keypad door handle it makes having the keys in your hand always a thing of the past.
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-01-2004, 11:43 PM Reply   
i got a problem with cell phones, i always put em in weird places and they tend to find there ways into the water, the worst was when i put my phone on the nose of my boat and as we leave the drive way they fell off. Then i call my friend and tell him to look out side and let me know if he hears my phone, he says yes, and i though he would go get it, but no. As we come back from the lake, i reverse the boat into the spot, and of corse manage to run my phone over :-(. Needless to say ive lost close to 9 phones in less than 2 yrs ... o well.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-02-2004, 12:37 AM Reply   
Great thread. Brings back memories....

This one day I was walking back to the car after a long day at work. I was walking along with my car key in hand (single key) when I suddenly hit the key against my leg. Bummer, the key flew out of my hand and went bouncing through the parking lot. Next, I looked up noticing that the key was heading right toward a manhole grate. Sure enough, the key bounced onto the grate stopping balanced on one of the key wide slats. :>)
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-02-2004, 7:49 AM Reply   
Just two weeks ago, eddie(and Eddie is no dummy) accidently dropped Henrys WORK truck keys in the water. (About 14 feet deep) 4 feet of it muck. spent my whole day off, looking for locksmiths that would come out. Most of them said that they couldn't do it cuz of a computer chip. Finally got a guy out that does computer chip keys and it turns out that the blasted key didn't have a chip. ARGH!!! all this and I wasn't even in the boat that night! Needless to say, I had like 4 keys made!
Old    afxsguy            06-02-2004, 8:13 AM Reply   
i lost $40 sunglasses last year. im glad because i wanted oakleys... then at the last minute i bought cheaper ones. speaking of oakleys... my dad's skiing buddy lost 3 pairs of oakleys within 2 summers haha. first time he jumped in the water and they flew off of his head. down to the bottom they go. second time, he jumped in but realized they were on his head, so he grabbed them before they flew off. then he went to throw them in the boat (from like 10 feet away) and they bounced off the side of the boat and into the water. then the next summer, my dad bugged him because he bought a THIRD pair of oakleys. and within the first 2 weeks of summer, he lost them again. he bought his fourth pair of oakleys... hasnt lost them yet
Old    zacksmith75            06-02-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
hay i am going to the lake next weekend and i would like some one to go with me so if you would like to got to a lake in SF beressa sorry i cant spell it rite but email me at zacksmith7@yahoo.com
Old    deiselgrover            06-02-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
I have a good one, (not boating but beach related). We were hanging out on a big rock pile on the beach, you know the kind that is 10 or 15' tall? Its about 11:30 at night, and I reach in my pocket and when I pull my hand out, out come the keys, down one of the numberous crevases in the rock pile. So Im freaking because its not even my car, plus its dark out, plus the odds of it being reachable are slim to none. So my friend had a camera and gets the idea to set it on the redeye feature where it blinks a few times, gives a steady light for a second then snaps the picture. So we begin taking pictures and sure enough, there are the keys just a foot down, balancing on the edge that went down further than I could see. Very lucky!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-02-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
smart friend!!
Old    r_dub            06-02-2004, 9:39 AM Reply   
Wow, I would say the camera trick ranks up there with the Magnet on a string.
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       06-02-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
Funny oakley story. I always wore spy sunglasses. The first pair I lost (think was stolen) at the beach during a skim jam the second pair I lost jumping off my dock in which thy flew off my head. Now I Have a pair of Electrics hopefully I dont lose those.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-02-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Just think of all the lost sunglasses at Shasta or any other lake.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-02-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
think of all the lost.... EVERYTHING just in my little bayou. we feel we must always sacrafice something to the 'watergods' everytime out or they will be out to get one of us while we're riding. Needless to say I always through some loose change in.. haha