Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-18-2003, 5:04 PM Reply   
so i was out at elsinore at the wakesurf day. wasn't there to wake surf, went out wakeboarding with sean while we waited for he and his friend to get their turns in. im not that interested in wakesurfing, tho i've done it a few times.

here's my question. i know some folks who ocean surfed before wakesurfing like it, but i just can't get into it. its a mildly interesting diversionary tatic when conditions aren't otherwise good for wakeboarding imho, but some people seem really into it.

im wondering if the real stoke for this sport is with those that haven't ocean surfed. it seems the two are in many ways diametrically opposed.

my dissatisfaction with wakesurfing seems to fall into two categories:

1) physical
2) metaphysical

the physical part is that the wake just isn't as good behind a boat. yes, its permanent and easily accessible (if you have access to a lake a $40K boat with a lot of weight in it!), but most of the waves i've ridden (and in southern california's southbay during anytime other than the middle of winter the waves are pathetically small), are still bigger, better-shaped and move faster than a wakesurf wake.

the metaphysical part is what really seems to be missing with wakesurfing. surfing to me isn't necessarily about tricks, wakesurfing seems to be all about tricks - there isn't much else to do.

surfing is about feeling the power of the sea, about being in the elements, about struggling to catch a wave and ride it, about feeling it surge and change beneath you.

am i the only one that feels this way?