Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    Bazel (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-29-2003, 8:07 PM Reply   
Just wondering how many people have installed their own towers and what was your experience?? Did you find it pretty easy and do you trust it as much as a dealer installing it for you??

Thanks
Old    ManFox (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-29-2003, 8:35 PM Reply   
Will,

Do it yourself. I mounted a Boss Custom Swoop on our Tige and was amazed at how easy it was. In fact, you'll will find that it is much easier than you think.

Typical install takes between 2-3 hours (first time). Just be sure to have the right drill bits/tools and hardware and also some help when mounting the tower itself. And also, be sure to run the drill in reverse when drilling the mount holes, this will eliminate stress/spyder cracking and chips in the gel cote. The longest portion of my install was the bimini adjustments and running all the wiring for lights/speaker harness through the tower...

You will save time, money and pride when the job is complete and have all the familiarity if troubleshooting occurs....

Good luck!
Old    Kris (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-31-2003, 9:10 PM Reply   
I put a JoyStick tower on my centurion last year. I did it myself and it wasn't too bad. Make sure that you put additional support behind the backing plate. I used some hardwood and a lot of construction adhesive to reinforce the area where the backing plate comes into contact with the hull. All of my supports are in areas that will never get wet, so I did not worry about using wood. Also put masking tape over the gelcoat before drilling to prevent chipping. Once the holes were drilled I used a much larger bit than the hole and rounded the surface of the hole by putting the bit in the hole and turning it by hand until there was a nice taper around the hole (I just tapered the gel coat not any of the fiberglass material). That should prevent chipping when the hardware is installed. I have been using mine for a year and a half and there are no signs of stress anywhere from the tower. The first hole is the hardest one to drill.

Kris
Old    Kung Fu Wake & Video (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-31-2003, 10:55 PM Reply   
Save the cash and do it yourself. $200 - 250 + can be spent on other things

1) You definitely want a second person to help you out, but wait till the end to break out the beer…
2) Don’t start in the afternoon; otherwise you’ll be finishing in the dark…
3) Try to have the boat parked on level ground – this will help when you do the walk around to make sure everything is even & centered.
4) Lay masking tape over the spots you will be drilling.
5) Before you drill make sure you have enough clearance on the backside so the back-plate will fit correctly!
6) Measure three times, drill once.
7) And whatever you do…. Don't use an air socket to tighten the bolts!
8) To counter sink the holes I used a cone shaped bit from my dremel kit..
9) And…. Don’t make plans for the following day because you’ll be busy riding!

And a HUGE time saving tip that I found on this board…. When it comes time to run the wires for the stereo/lights, drill the holes in the tower, and then use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dental floss through (a whole 2 seconds). Next use the dental floss to pull a heavier string through which in turn will be used to pull the cabling through. Rule # 9 applies after this project too!

Here's a time lapse video of the install – you too can do it in 70 seconds.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=8109

(Message edited by dcervenka on July 31, 2003)
Old    Rick H (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-01-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
I just di My Pro FLight tower 3 weeks ago with the help of a friend. Dealer wanted 2500 for same tower installed. Bought my own tower and installed for $1500. Took 2-3 hrs. These guys are dead on correct on the tips,time frame etc... SSave the cash for fuel unless your made of money.

Rick
Old    Wakeside.com (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-03-2003, 1:32 AM Reply   
Wakeside.com has sold a huge number of towers that are mostly installed by "do it yourselfers". The installation takes 1-3 hours for first timers and we have one professional mobile installer that does our installs in under 1 hour.

Many dealerships charge in the $400-700 range although some will do it for less. For that kind of money it is worth it to get a handyman friend to help you do your own installation.

I like DC's suggestions. Most of the towers that we sell come with good installation instructions.

Mike
http://www.wakeside.com
Old    Bill Bierbower (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-03-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
I'd estimate 95% of our customers put there on towers on. The range has been from 2-7 hours with most saying between 3-4 hours.

You'll find a list of tower companies at http://www.worldwakeboardcouncil.com/links.html that is very complete. Most have instruction manuals to check out to see if your comfortable with it.

Here is a link to our manual as well: http://www.monstertower.com/support.html

Bill
www.MonsterTower.com