Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-10-2003, 4:57 PM Reply   
I'm planning on running 3 simer 600 pumps, what size thru-hull strainer (scoop) would you guys recommend? Is one 1-1/2" enough or should I go to a 2"?

(All 3 pumps will be running at the same time to fill.)

Mock up:

3 simmer pumps
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2003, 6:26 PM Reply   
not sure about the flow ratings for the 1-1/2 but i got one for alot less then 45 bucks from west, yes its bronze
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-10-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
1-1/2 should be fine.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
One view since the area of circle is pie*r*r.
If your pumps are 0.75", then the area of the three is 1.325 square inches,
while your 1.5" intake has an area of 1.767 square inches.

So, a 1.5" intake should work great.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-10-2003, 7:41 PM Reply   
Ya the $45 is high. I seen one for about $20. I am go to do the same thing. I am only going to have one pump going to two bags.
Old    chris_hargis            03-10-2003, 7:50 PM Reply   
Is that $65 for the Simer pumps from BE Atlas? I am goin to try to call them tomorrow to get my pumps ordered. I am going to get 2 of them for my system. Just wandering.
Old    chris_hargis            03-10-2003, 7:51 PM Reply   
Is that $65 for the Simer pumps from BE Atlas? I am goin to try to call them tomorrow to get my pumps ordered. I am going to get 2 of them for my system. Just wandering. By the way, who did you talk to there at BE Atlas (if that is where you got them)?
Old    xwake            03-10-2003, 8:23 PM Reply   
Everyone from B.E. Atlas is very helpful. I've dealt with with a couple of different guys, the latest being Dennis. And yes the price for the Simer BW8512 is roughly $65.00.

Old    tbarrett            03-10-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
DC, Positive pressure pumps are designed for higher pressure lower volume applications. I think some boat manufacturers have used them with only marginal success. The draw on your electrical system will also be considerable. I have a ballast system that will be commercially available after March 24th. It will fill a 1,000 lb system in 3 min. 10 sec. static and 2 min. 15 sec. while in motion. It drains in 2 min. and you have independant control of 2,3 or 4 bags. I will email you about the details of the system if you are interested. Terry
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-10-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
Thanks Dane!

Terry - Definitely. Are you using one and/or two pumps sort of what make-a-wake has?

Bob - Do you happen to have the part number? I know you can order a bronze thru-hull for around $20 and a seperate strainer for another $6 - 10.

So Terry's response brings up a good question, what's the amp draw for just one Simer 600 pump?

Old    tbarrett            03-10-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
DC, I will send you the details tomorrow but we are not using positive pressure pumps. We are using 1,000 gph areator pumps thru a chamber. We have just come up with an electric valve that maintains a full 1.5" full flow to the chamber. The valve will isolate the chamber so that boat movement will not force water thru the chamber and pumps when filling is completed. Look for a diagram and full description on Tuesday. Terry
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-11-2003, 5:23 AM Reply   
Simers draw about 13A.
Old    chris_hargis            03-11-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
OK, got 2 Simer pumps ordered from BE Atlas and they were $67.?? each, and that included shipping. He said they would probably ship out tomorrow, so I should have them next week sometime. Of course that will slow down my fill time some (I currently have 2 2000 GPH Rules for filling), but my drain time will increase to about half what it is now. That matters since I have to drain for my wife to ski, and my son to board (he just started and isn't ready for a bigger wake right now.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-11-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
What is everybody using for hose? Are you using flexible fat sac hose or pvc? I have had problems with the flexible hose and have thought about pvc? Any comments?
Also I was going to do the above setup with a rule 3800? Anybody have any experience. My experience with the 3800 is that when it is primed, it really goes, but getting it primed is a chore. That is why I am going to try a water intake strainer.
Old    chris_hargis            03-11-2003, 12:59 PM Reply   
I use PVC on my system. I ran 1" right up to each sac (I am using waterbed tubes and twin matress, so I have 1 twin and 4 tubes). I am using 2 2000 GPH Rule pumps that are each connected to a thru-hull (1") and then branch in together to the 1" PVC. I like the PVC, but you have to be at the mercy of solid lines when routing it throught the boat. you also have to change pretty much the whole set up to change anything since it is all glued in. But it actually comes out cheaper than using 1" tubing for my set-up.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-11-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
I think the pvc would work much better once installed. I think I am going to try the 1.25" intake strainer to the 3800GPH Rule splitting off to two bags and see what happens.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-12-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
Badzuki, I am getting ready to install a system that sounds just like yours.I have 1 3800 to fill 3 sacs and 3 1100's to drain. I just got my 1.25" scoop strainer from for $46.(boatersworld has them for $26 but they were out and i did'nt want to wait for 5 weeks).I'm going to use pvc and probably just manual ball valves for now. I'll let you know how it goes if I get around to it this weekend.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-12-2003, 4:46 PM Reply   
Greg, definitely let me know. Have you used the 3800 before? I think it will be great if mounted and fed by a strainer. I was thinking about doing a three bag system, but I am going to start by getting two filling quick and even.
Thanks, I just got a boatersworld catalog in the mail today. I will put my order in so I get it when I am getting the boat out.
Old    aaron_bell            03-12-2003, 7:02 PM Reply   

Are those Simer pumps reversible?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-13-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-13-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
One more thing, the simer does NOT have Ignition Protection so you should not mount the pump in the engine compartment. The Jasbso (formerly know as the "water puppy" but now called the "ballast puppy") is ignition protected. B

The Simer will run you $67 from BE Atlas 800-305-4393, while the Jabsco runs $130+

For the Jabso pump goto the following url:
in the search enter "18660-0121" and then click on the second result titled "Bilge Pumps - Flexible Impeller Pumps"

A boat load of pumps:

(Message edited by dcervenka on March 13, 2003)
Old     (jmanjohn)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-13-2003, 5:26 PM Reply   
DC, Can You explain to Me what Ignition Protection means. And how I can make them I.P.
If I mount them in the engine compartment what might happen?
Thanks, John
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-13-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
Badzuki, no I havnt used a 3800 before but I got 2 of them dirt cheap on ebay so I figured I'd try one. The other is for a backup. I tested the pumps in the tub when I got them and those suckers move some water! I'll keep you posted.

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-13-2003, 8:29 PM Reply   
Greg, I tried using it over the side of the boat to fill fat sacs but it totally sucked. It was so hard to get primed. If you did and could get it to stay primed they have power. So I am excited to see what they can do when you force them with some water.
John, Ignition protection is so that they won't go boom if some gas vapors are present.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-15-2003, 3:40 PM Reply   
John -


Each electrical component that is in a space where fuel fumes can accumulate must be ignition protected.

If an electrical component is in the engine room, fuel tank space, or space where there are fuel lines, then the electrical component must be ignition protected. What does ignition protected mean? It means that a spark from the device will not ignite a fuel/air mixture in the same space. In simpler words, it won't cause an explosion.

This means that alternators, generators, electric fan motors, electric fuel pumps, distributors, etc. must be ignition protected."


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:47 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us