Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-15-2014, 3:40 AM Reply   
I know this question has been asked 90000000 times, but I'm going to ask it again because I don't have a wakesurf specific boat, I have a Yamaha 212x and I know the wake isn't much off it. So I'm looking for a wakesurf board (my first one). I have know experience at all with wakesurfing never did it before, never even seen anyone do it before other then on youtube. But anyways I'm about 5"10 170 lbs and I'm looking for the board that is recommended for small wake riding. I don't want to spend a fortune on it because I'm just testing the waters on the hole wakesurfing thing so. I was gonna order the hyperlite broadcast 5"4 but figured I'd better ask about it first. For future purposes, I'm not looking to progress a hole lot because I doubt my wake will be big enough to do much but I'd eventually really like to do a 360 lol.
Thanks everyone that replies.
Old    Matthew Smith (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       05-15-2014, 4:34 AM Reply   
I have a couple summer of surfing behind my Yamaha years ago! I learned to surf on that!!
Anyway, I had great success with the Inland Surfer Line, Either the Tako, Squirt, or Black Pearl. If others on your oat are smaller and lighter than you, I would get the Black Pearl, Just get 2 additional Delta Fins on it to make it a trifin. I have seen others use the Sweet Spot as well. I also rode my IS Swallow.
Biggest thing when weighting your boat, Get extra weight on the surf side, as well as some bow weight!.

Here is a link to me riding the squirt a few years ago behind a 210 Yamaha. )sorry no life jacket I know….)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vok5UCCJC24
Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-15-2014, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKASurfing View Post
I have a couple summer of surfing behind my Yamaha years ago! I learned to surf on that!!
Anyway, I had great success with the Inland Surfer Line, Either the Tako, Squirt, or Black Pearl. If others on your oat are smaller and lighter than you, I would get the Black Pearl, Just get 2 additional Delta Fins on it to make it a trifin. I have seen others use the Sweet Spot as well. I also rode my IS Swallow.
Biggest thing when weighting your boat, Get extra weight on the surf side, as well as some bow weight!.

Here is a link to me riding the squirt a few years ago behind a 210 Yamaha. )sorry no life jacket I know….)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vok5UCCJC24

Sick video, hopefully I can go rope less behind mine. Heard lots of good things about the inland surfer line but I don't think I'm willing to put out the $700, $800, $900+ To get one. I likely won't be using the board that much because I usually wakeboard. Who knows though I may be hooked once I get up.
Old    FENCE SENCE (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 9:56 AM Reply   
Generally I wouldn't mention the issues in that video but, seeing as how you are completely green, I'm gonna bring them to light. I'm sure LKA has corrected them by now.

First and most obvious and already stated by LKA, no life vest. Ocean surf boards are strapped to your foot. When you fall, it acts as a PDF of sorts. You don't need a leash for wakesurfing. What you do need is PDF. If you get knocked out and you're not wearing a PDF, chance are, you're going down. "I've never seen anybody get knocked out." I have. Just wear a PDF.

Next is the rope. It is a wakesurf rope. That's good. What's not good is when he loops it. That's a really bad idea. Should he catch an edge or whatever and go down and his arm goes through the loop, he's probably going to loose something. Be it a finger, a hand, an arm, maybe just all the flesh from the elbow down. No matter what, it would turn a simple fall into a potentially horrible situation for everyone involved. Don't loop the rope.

Throwing the rope to the other side of the wake. I don't allow that on my boat either. It's another excellent opportunity to get caught in it. They do pull it in but, there's a chunk of time where it's just flopping around on the other side of the wake. Throwing it in the boat eliminates that risk as long as you can manage to throw at least one pound of rope and handle a minimum of 10' back into the boat.

Riding on the platform while underway or while towing a rider. It illegal for a reason not to mention just foolish. Yes, it will help the wake. Yes, get over it. It's a great place to get CO poisoning not to mention a great place to fall off into a rider with a rope. Think about it.

I'm really not trying be a buzz kill but, from a safety standpoint, that it a great video of how not to do it. Sorry LKA. I'm sure you don't do those things anymore.

I've ridden that Black Pearl. It's a good little board.

The problem with a budget board is that they are generally slow and with your lack of wake, it's gonna be a real B on a slow board.
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-15-2014, 3:39 PM Reply   
Fence Sence. I agreed with all the above besides the tossing it in the wake. That is actually recommended to do because

1: It is easier to toss to the side then try to make it in the boat and lose your balance, particularly for beginner riders.
2: You have the potential to hit someone with the rope, particular if it is a handled one or one with larger knots on it. This can potentially cause injury if they are not paying attention to you

Throwing it to the side over the wake and having some reel it in is the best way to do it. If you just toss it down, ya it can get under you and isn't good, but you toss it from shoulder height over the wake and the wash keeps it there. They can reel it in and that's recommended, but it really isn't necessary once it's over there.

Normally we ride with a skeleton crew of maybe 3 or 4 people tops, no one is in the area to get hit with it in the back so we toss it in the boat. We also have developed the skill to do so. If you can toss it in the boat safely without biting it, do so. Otherwise the tossing it over the wake deal is perfectly acceptable.
Old    Nick Wiersema (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2014, 4:05 PM Reply   
The broadcast is a perfectly acceptable board for the purposes you stated. It is what many people start with and learn on. It is not a horrible board, just not a great performance board. Although, i have seen some serious riders do some really serious riding on them.

I didn't watch you video. Yes, a life vest is suggested. No a surfboard is not a floatation device. Leashes are used in the ocean, because your board is likely to go a long way from you if you fall and do not control your board. An uncontrolled board is a hazard to you and other surfers. You are also likely end up with a damaged board when it makes land fall.

Nick
Old    FENCE SENCE (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 5:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Fence Sence. I agreed with all the above besides the tossing it in the wake. That is actually recommended to do because

1: It is easier to toss to the side then try to make it in the boat and lose your balance, particularly for beginner riders.
2: You have the potential to hit someone with the rope, particular if it is a handled one or one with larger knots on it. This can potentially cause injury if they are not paying attention to you

Throwing it to the side over the wake and having some reel it in is the best way to do it. If you just toss it down, ya it can get under you and isn't good, but you toss it from shoulder height over the wake and the wash keeps it there. They can reel it in and that's recommended, but it really isn't necessary once it's over there.

Normally we ride with a skeleton crew of maybe 3 or 4 people tops, no one is in the area to get hit with it in the back so we toss it in the boat. We also have developed the skill to do so. If you can toss it in the boat safely without biting it, do so. Otherwise the tossing it over the wake deal is perfectly acceptable.
OK, I'll concede your point. It's well stated. I still prefer to toss it back in the boat. I see people toss it over to the other side and leave it and that is a horrible idea. Especially once you start pushing yourself. I've ended up on the other side many times.
Old    FENCE SENCE (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 5:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
The broadcast is a perfectly acceptable board for the purposes you stated. It is what many people start with and learn on. It is not a horrible board, just not a great performance board. Although, i have seen some serious riders do some really serious riding on them.

I didn't watch you video. Yes, a life vest is suggested. No a surfboard is not a floatation device. Leashes are used in the ocean, because your board is likely to go a long way from you if you fall and do not control your board. An uncontrolled board is a hazard to you and other surfers. You are also likely end up with a damaged board when it makes land fall.

Nick
+1 on the big Broadcast. It's always proven to be perfectly acceptable. If you can find an old Landlock 5'6", that's even better. It had hard rails tip to tail and was a bit faster IMO. I rode mine for a long time as a twin with the Hyperlite 1.1 A-wings. They really pepped it up. It still makes almost every trip out, just in case.

No, an ocean board is not a PFD. Agreed. And yes it's primary function is to keep it from running away but, if you get pushed way down, you could follow your leash back up. My post was sort of misleading. My bad. The ocean is much more bouyant than a lake. Again, just wear a PFD.
Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-18-2014, 11:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses, going to order my board tonight!
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-18-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
I just wanted to put a little more input on this. Yesterday I had the opportunity to demo several new boards. The two that stood out to me as being good to ride I picked out to be ones that were fast and able to be ridden in a smaller wake were the Hyperlite Shim and the Byerly Hazard. These were both very quick, very stable boards and should both work well in a smaller wake. The Hazard is similar to the Broadcast, but is much more like a Broadcast on steroids. It has been improved upon so much. I hate the broadcast, but love the Hazard. I rode the 5'3-5'4 versions of each and loved both boards. The Shim seemed a little bit more stable to me even in deep bottom turns, but the Hazard seemed a little quicker and more maneuverable without getting squirrely. Both retail for about $400-450. I even found a site selling a 2013 4'6 shim for $300. I'm tempted to pick that one up for myself, but I would rather have the Hazard between the two.
Old    Nick Wiersema (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-18-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
I tend to agree with Surf Addict. The hazard is like a higher performance version of the broadcast. Decent learns and decent prices.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-19-2014, 5:51 AM Reply   
Inland Surfer Tako is perfect for what you want. We have the broadcast also but it sucks - nose dive like crazy. The IS Tako is easy to ride. My daughters friend who had never been in a boat before was free riding on her third try on Saturday. We paid $349.00 from evo.com last year so it wont break the bank either.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:39 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us