Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-06-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
bikes in motion, managed 2nd place tonight in Cat 1 / 2 Scratch race at the local track. Feeling the beard power, not so sure it will make it come warmer weather
Sean, we were going to head out there on Friday but figured it was rained out. You guys obviously got some racing in. Hopefully we will get out there a few times this season to watch.
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Sean, we were going to head out there on Friday but figured it was rained out. You guys obviously got some racing in. Hopefully we will get out there a few times this season to watch.
The finial races did get rained out. We finished the Cat 1 / 2 races, but I don't think the Cat 3, Women's, and Cat 4 finished their third races of the night. It's preseason so the only thing we are racing for is up grade points and to shake off the cobwebs.

Couple of quick video edits from Friday
https://vimeo.com/94105674 Point a Lap, very chaotic race. Think I managed 5th.
https://vimeo.com/93710455 Scratch Race, managed 2nd place in it.
Old    Mark Anderson (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-22-2014, 5:56 AM Reply   
I'll play. Not feather light, but she's about 16.5lbs with the RS80s. After using Di2, I don't think i'd own anything else.
Attached Images

Old    Nacho (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
Sean, curious if you ever found separate bike policies that made any sense. Recently had my 1 yr old Trek poached out of my garage. Wasn't worth filing on the homeowners. Should've lied and said 3 bikes, 3 sets of golf clubs and 3 wakeboards were stolen....

Last edited by denverd1; 06-23-2014 at 2:41 PM.
Old    E.J. (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2014, 9:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
The finial races did get rained out. We finished the Cat 1 / 2 races, but I don't think the Cat 3, Women's, and Cat 4 finished their third races of the night. It's preseason so the only thing we are racing for is up grade points and to shake off the cobwebs.

Couple of quick video edits from Friday
https://vimeo.com/94105674 Point a Lap, very chaotic race. Think I managed 5th.
https://vimeo.com/93710455 Scratch Race, managed 2nd place in it.
Nice job on the vids. I was getting motion sick trying to watch the race and speed at the same time....
Old    Loren Potter (Lopott)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-25-2014, 5:10 AM Reply   
After 102 miles and 9300 ft of climbing at horribly hilly hundreds. Spec tarmac sworks sl4 di2

Last edited by Lopott; 06-25-2014 at 5:16 AM.
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-26-2014, 9:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Sean, curious if you ever found separate bike policies that made any sense. Recently had my 1 yr old Trek poached out of my garage. Wasn't worth filing on the homeowners. Should've lied and said 3 bikes, 3 sets of golf clubs and 3 wakeboards were stolen....
I never pursued bike only insurance very far. Seemed to be 10% a year of insured value. With 5 expensive bikes and a few not so expensive bikes it's a lot shell out. I have all of the bikes locked up in the garage with a mix of cable and U locks. Bummer about your bike, it kills me that this stuff happens. I was in a crappy part of Tacoma earlier this week and saw what appeared to be homeless dude on a Colongo. I wanted to cry and take a pic at the same time.
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-28-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
Buddy picked up a 2014 version of the same track bike I have. Last night was its first races.
Attached Images

Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
Have bike team-mate's SWorks Venge on loan for a little bit. Got it out for a ride today, set a bunch of PR's on Strava during the ride. It rides and climbs very nice. I had to really tweak his set up to get it to fit me. Di2 electronic shifting is nice, did not blow me away but is nice. First time with QRotor rings too. can't say I noticed anything different. Has a Quark power meter on it too.
Attached Images

Old    Nick Heckerson (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-27-2014, 3:52 PM Reply   
My buddy just got a similar Venge. It's blacked out S-Works though with the Roval 60s on it and Force 22. Bike looks awesome. My LBS sold more Venge than any shop in the country last year. They are VERY popular around here.
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2014, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
My buddy just got a similar Venge. It's blacked out S-Works though with the Roval 60s on it and Force 22. Bike looks awesome. My LBS sold more Venge than any shop in the country last year. They are VERY popular around here.
My team-mate has an other SWorks Venge with Red 22 and Roval 60s on it. The one he is letting me ride is too big for him, will see if he wants to cut me a killer deal on it

Last edited by magic; 07-27-2014 at 8:36 PM.
Old    Darren Yearsley (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2014, 11:52 PM Reply   
My bro had a limited edition cav venge. It was a super nice bike, good middle ground, did everything well. Sure, it's no Giant but a pretty nice bike. Ha ha.
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-05-2014, 7:53 PM Reply   
Anyone riding a 27.5" all mountain full squishy bike? Im thinking about getting one.... looking for something that pedals and can still hit the lift at big bear...
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-05-2014, 8:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
Anyone riding a 27.5" all mountain full squishy bike? Im thinking about getting one.... looking for something that pedals and can still hit the lift at big bear...
I've demo'd a few, liked the Pivot Mach 6 lots. I tried a Lapierre Zesty 527 and it felt heavy. The auto suspension is cool but I wish the bike felt lighter. I'm more of a XC rider when it comes to Mountain biking but I keep wanting a bike I can take jumping and to the local ski area in the summer and up to Whistler. I ride a 29" XC rig and have tried a Pivot 429, I'd go 27.5 wheels for a full suspension bike these days for sure.
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-05-2014, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
I've demo'd a few, liked the Pivot Mach 6 lots. I tried a Lapierre Zesty 527 and it felt heavy. The auto suspension is cool but I wish the bike felt lighter. I'm more of a XC rider when it comes to Mountain biking but I keep wanting a bike I can take jumping and to the local ski area in the summer and up to Whistler. I ride a 29" XC rig and have tried a Pivot 429, I'd go 27.5 wheels for a full suspension bike these days for sure.
Yeah, i've yet to demo anything. Im still debating my justification...which is my hardtail makes my back hurt and i just want something squishy... I've always wanted to try a pivot, love that they are from phoenix.

Ive been on a hard tail, ss for the past 4 years living in AZ and its been great. Just move to socal and the riding isnt real conducive to ss (at least where I have been) lots of steep ups and steep downs. Im planning on building my bike up 1X9 in the mean time.

I rode an old santa cruz heckler awhile back and enjoyed it, but I've heard they are kinda flexy compared to the new stuff and I dont think you can get one in a 27.5
Ive got a buddy who is picking up a santa cruz bronson....
I might have to go spin some wheels at one of the local socal yuppie bike shops and see what they have
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2014, 4:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah, i've yet to demo anything. Im still debating my justification...which is my hardtail makes my back hurt and i just want something squishy... I've always wanted to try a pivot, love that they are from phoenix.

Ive been on a hard tail, ss for the past 4 years living in AZ and its been great. Just move to socal and the riding isnt real conducive to ss (at least where I have been) lots of steep ups and steep downs. Im planning on building my bike up 1X9 in the mean time.
I run 1x11 on my MTB and really like it. Its also a hard tail, and ridged. Not running a front shock since I mostly ride XC on it. May pick up a front shock and try it. I did order a carbon seat post and carbon one piece stem and bar last night. That removes the only metal bits on it
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2014, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
I run 1x11 on my MTB and really like it. Its also a hard tail, and ridged. Not running a front shock since I mostly ride XC on it. May pick up a front shock and try it. I did order a carbon seat post and carbon one piece stem and bar last night. That removes the only metal bits on it
Yeah you dont want no stinkin metal bits! You running a chain guide up front? I was thinking of picking up one of the Ethirteen xcx? tube mount guides.
Old    Shawndoggy (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-06-2014, 9:20 PM Reply   
Not your standard bike pjorn post, but....

I worked at a bike shop from 1990-94. During that time I eventually had access to pro sheet deals from the industry reps. Summer of '93 I bought myself a stumpjumper M2 FS (long gone, and man was that bike sweet... 23lbs with a Mag21), and my girlfriend a rockhopper sport. I married that girl. She never rode the bike but I'm loathe to toss it, so we moved it to grad school and back afterwards when we began our careers. All the while it's gathered a beautiful patina of dust. Seriously, I doubt my wife has ridden the bike 100 miles in 21 years.

So my daughter departs for college next week and rather than buy her a bike, why not let her "not ride" her mom's bike which is already accustomed to not being ridden, right?

So I've tuned it up, put on a new chain and new tires, and frankly it rides as nice as it did when I first built it up out of the box in 1993. I'm the only person who has ever wrenched on it and I'm really surprised at how well it has held up. I skimped on repacking the bearings when I pulled the bike out of the box in '93, but I've taken care of that with a fresh packing of phil wood.

Note the period correct (i.e. original) purple anno bottle cage and the scott vr suspension fork (also a pro sheet deal... and one of the very few aftermarket options back then) with threaded 1" steer tube to boot.

Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2014, 11:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah you dont want no stinkin metal bits! You running a chain guide up front? I was thinking of picking up one of the Ethirteen xcx? tube mount guides.
No chain guide. It's SRAM X01 that came on the bike. The wide narrow front ring and clutch rear derailure keep the chain on. I've KOM'd a few local down hill trail segments on Strava with it, done well over 1,500 miles, and never dropped the chain.
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2014, 11:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Not your standard bike pjorn post, but....

I worked at a bike shop from 1990-94. During that time I eventually had access to pro sheet deals from the industry reps. Summer of '93 I bought myself a stumpjumper M2 FS (long gone, and man was that bike sweet... 23lbs with a Mag21), and my girlfriend a rockhopper sport. I married that girl. She never rode the bike but I'm loathe to toss it, so we moved it to grad school and back afterwards when we began our careers. All the while it's gathered a beautiful patina of dust. Seriously, I doubt my wife has ridden the bike 100 miles in 21 years.

So my daughter departs for college next week and rather than buy her a bike, why not let her "not ride" her mom's bike which is already accustomed to not being ridden, right?

So I've tuned it up, put on a new chain and new tires, and frankly it rides as nice as it did when I first built it up out of the box in 1993. I'm the only person who has ever wrenched on it and I'm really surprised at how well it has held up. I skimped on repacking the bearings when I pulled the bike out of the box in '93, but I've taken care of that with a fresh packing of phil wood.

Note the period correct (i.e. original) purple anno bottle cage and the scott vr suspension fork (also a pro sheet deal... and one of the very few aftermarket options back then) with threaded 1" steer tube to boot.

No can see the pic

The team I'm on gets killer deals from our sponsoring bike shop. I now understand how racers can afford high end bikes. I'm both scared and looking forward to the end of season deals this year. I want to pick up my team mate's SWorks Venge, and have zero ability to convince the wife two new bikes are needed this year.
Old    Shawndoggy (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-06-2014, 11:38 PM Reply   
oops!

Old    E.J. (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2014, 6:02 AM Reply   
^^^. Love the old school. I have an old GT Avalanche(90-91?) that I've been thinking about building up(thinking about it for 10 years). Right now, besides peddles, 100% stock. Like you with the SRH, just couldn't see getting rid of it.
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-11-2014, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
No chain guide. It's SRAM X01 that came on the bike. The wide narrow front ring and clutch rear derailure keep the chain on. I've KOM'd a few local down hill trail segments on Strava with it, done well over 1,500 miles, and never dropped the chain.
sweet mang! is the rear clutch derailure essential with the narrow wide? I have a feeling it is....
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-11-2014, 8:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
sweet mang! is the rear clutch derailure essential with the narrow wide? I have a feeling it is....
Dunno, it's what came on the bike.
Old    Nick Heckerson (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-11-2014, 9:48 PM Reply   
Just picked up another one to add to the stable tonight.
Attached Images

Old    Darren Yearsley (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2014, 2:32 AM Reply   
Love the S2, great bike
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-12-2014, 9:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Dunno, it's what came on the bike.
yuuup looks like the clutch in the rear d is essential
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-16-2014, 7:49 PM Reply   
So..... I got some bike parts today....

During install i discovered a crack at my rear drive side drop out
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2014, 3:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
So..... I got some bike parts today....

During install i discovered a crack at my rear drive side drop out
That sucks. Any chance of repair/replacement?
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-21-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
Negative, frame is a VooDoo Bokor and the rear dropouts slide horizontally so I can run SS. Crack started at the inner radius of the track the dropout slides in. Could potentiall be welded as a bandaid, but to really fix it I would need to machine post welding, and the geometry makes it pretty much impossible. Not financially worth it in my book...

With that said, anyone selling a hardtail XC bike??? I was thinking maybe a ragley piglet 2?!
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
All you guys and your road bikes.... im just over here like... MORE TRAVEL

Officially building a Ragley Piglet2..... Got a 150mm Fox Float CTD with Kashima. Looking for a wheelset currently.
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-17-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
And the build pic... right after its first shakedown.

Ragley Piglet 2