Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Adam Levitt (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
Because video games get chosen ahead of us:

http://www.yobeat.com/2014/04/29/maj...o-the-x-games/

I think I'm crying and laughing at the same time.

Old    Mark V (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-29-2014, 11:37 AM Reply   
Welcome to the youth of the nation.........

And we wonder where the burned out iq's are coming from.
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-29-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Ya, because video games are an extreme sport? What's the worst injury, arthritis, carpel tunnel, or maybe kidney stones from drinking a bunch of energy drinks without getting up for hours?
I know that they can be very competitive and there is a level of skill to video games, especially at the pro level, but it should never be considered a sport, let alone an extreme sport.
Old    Dave (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-29-2014, 12:37 PM Reply   
I get the rationale behind getting in on this market but XGames themselves should be about getting your ass of the couch and being active, being outside, and being an athlete. Not a freakin couch surfer hopped up on redbulls yelling at the tv. Include me on this...
Old    Baitkiller (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-29-2014, 5:16 PM Reply   
Grass roots boycott and sponsor avoidance starts here and now.
Absurd..
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2014, 5:45 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding shouldn't want to get back into the X games. Winter X is the only X worth watching.
Old    Eric (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-29-2014, 7:40 PM Reply   
I used to love the X games. I'm a gen X guy and this thing was named after my generation. Then money came along and ****ed it up. Now it's motocross, moto X, and more motocross. Now we get video gaming mixed into the motocross. Greed screws up everything.
Old    Mark (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-30-2014, 7:08 AM Reply   
Anyone else remember when they had other things like 'Street Luge'? Sky Surfing? .. not to mention inline skating.
Old    Jack Henry (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-30-2014, 7:27 AM Reply   
There have been kids put into comas for staying up too long & drinking liters of RedBull at gaming tournaments. That is EXTREME! They can add best plumbers crack & biggest emotional meltdown to make it 3 events..........
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-30-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
The Xgames is a joke...
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-30-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Anyone else remember when they had other things like 'Street Luge'? Sky Surfing? .. not to mention inline skating.
Ya, the good days when I actually watched and cared because it was entertaining. I always dreamed about Sky Surfing one day. I guess it's ridiculously hard to do though and only a very small percentage of sky divers will even attempt it, let alone do it competitively. I think that's why it went away, even though it was awesome!
I'm not going to take time to watch some neck beard chug red bull and play Call of Duty.
Old    Mark (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-01-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
how does one even televise a video game event? How do you keep it in a reasonable amount of time?
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-01-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
FThat!
Old    Mike K (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-01-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
The odds actually got better, now the Wakeboarding Unleashed game has a chance
Old    Nathan Benard (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-01-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
For wakeboarding to get back into X Games it first has to promote itself and at the moment it is doing a pretty p!$$ poor job of doing it.
Look at the Darin Shapiro thread. An icon of the sport and we can't even get a decent length clip of him riding.
How hard would it be to get someone to sit in the boat at the competitions and video the event then dub the commentary over the top. Look at all the edits out there from people who just grab a camera and go, surely the people promoting and running these events can come up with something like this.
Then there are plenty of websites that would host the video's as it would bring traffic to their site, Nautique could do it and host it on their site.
I just don't get why there isn't more effort to get wakeboarding out there to the people that can't get to the events
Old    Adam Balon (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-02-2014, 12:17 AM Reply   
it wont grow in its current state. its not about the riders or progressing the sport. if it was... w's events wouldnt have been axed this year. i have alot of respect for a few of the riders at these events... but the whole thing is like a traveling circus. same features, same announcer, same driver, same judges, crazy nicknames, daily autograph sessions, etc. its all one big show.

i even saw a video of some dude thanking all his sponsors on the podium the other day. so weird. this isnt nascar or motocross. you def dont see that in snow, skate or surf. youth sees right through this and thats why wake is perceived as kooky. "uhhh...couldnt have done it without that tige wake.... the ronix team for all the support, oakley for keeping the sun out of my eyes and man... i wouldnt have ridden so good without these fox boardshorts featuring 4 way mechanical stretch and a hidden stash pocket!!!!!" come on dude.... its just weird. watched some random highlights and i think he even fell off one of the rails in his run.

thankfully there are a few new movies coming out this year, rusty who pushes whats possible, guys like dylan miller, vandal and watson who kinda do what they want.

why has no one done a "real wake" type thing?

anyways.. im opinionated. love it or hate it. there it is.
Old    Adam Balon (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-02-2014, 12:18 AM Reply   
hopefully someone awesome takes home the championship belt this year.
Old    Alex Yermolenko (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-02-2014, 3:34 AM Reply   
If the video games is the X-sport in this case the masturbation is a part of heavy athletics
Old    Mark (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-02-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair View Post
If the video games is the X-sport in this case the masturbation is a part of heavy athletics
Nah.. that's just the rigorous training regimen.
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-02-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_balon View Post
it wont grow in its current state. its not about the riders or progressing the sport. if it was... w's events wouldnt have been axed this year. i have alot of respect for a few of the riders at these events... but the whole thing is like a traveling circus. same features, same announcer, same driver, same judges, crazy nicknames, daily autograph sessions, etc. its all one big show.

i even saw a video of some dude thanking all his sponsors on the podium the other day. so weird. this isnt nascar or motocross. you def dont see that in snow, skate or surf. youth sees right through this and thats why wake is perceived as kooky. "uhhh...couldnt have done it without that tige wake.... the ronix team for all the support, oakley for keeping the sun out of my eyes and man... i wouldnt have ridden so good without these fox boardshorts featuring 4 way mechanical stretch and a hidden stash pocket!!!!!" come on dude.... its just weird. watched some random highlights and i think he even fell off one of the rails in his run.

thankfully there are a few new movies coming out this year, rusty who pushes whats possible, guys like dylan miller, vandal and watson who kinda do what they want.

why has no one done a "real wake" type thing?

anyways.. im opinionated. love it or hate it. there it is.
haha say it bro..
Old    Tim (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-02-2014, 2:55 PM Reply   
Every sit on shore watching a boat pick up fallen skiers all afternoon....like most x-games sports, it moves along much better on TV than in person so it may have a fighting chance.
Old    Mark (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
Honestly - one of the issues with having wakeboarding in the x-games (and the pro tour in general) is finding a suitable venue. There aren't a lot of places where you can have a stretch of decent water and still have a place for a large crowd to actually see anything.
Old    Dennis (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-04-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
Wakeboard behind boat = not at X games

Wakeboarding at a cable park = next few year at X games. My guess due to the pace can be a lot faster and its more worldwide then behind a boat now.

Call of duty = a "billion$" in profit, meaning they can just buy the X games
Cheers,
DC
Old    Henry Gates (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-04-2014, 4:55 PM Reply   
X games sold out big time
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2014, 7:01 PM Reply   
what are the xgames? is it like, the games for xbox?

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:03 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us