Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-07-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
I currently have a 07 Sanger v210. Looking at a few new boats with the pickle fork because I like the look. Do they handle the waves the same. I am limited to a few smaller lakes and in the afternoons it can get a bit rough. The Sanger V210 is a low slung boat. Are pickle forks going to be more "bouncy" in the chop? Thanks.
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-07-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
I've owned both and I'll say no. Underway, the fork is way out of the water even in chop.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-07-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have no comment for or against the PF therefore will remain silent on the issue and allow others who have specific awareness of PF capability or lack thereof to offer input based on their specific experiences without my interjections which though hilarious and thought-provoking may distract from the topic as you've stated.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-07-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
Just to rank PF's:

Nice:

X2, 25, 46
G21,23,25
ASR*

Naughty:

MXZ22,24
XStar
Pavarti

*copied from Correct Craft Hull G23 circa 2012
Old    156452 (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-07-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
The only time the pickle fork is a problem is when you are not on the throttle and picking up a rider and you take your own chop over the bow. An experienced driver and avoid 98% of that problem though. I've had my X Star on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron in larger than recommended chop and it handled just fine. I wouldn't recommend any wakeboard boat on big water though on anything but the calmest of days. Maybe a G25...those things look robust enough to handle a hurricane.
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-07-2014, 10:56 AM Reply   
I've owned both traditional and pickle fork bow boats. How a pickle fork runs in blown out conditions has nothing to do with the design of the bow because the pickle fork portion of the bow (more like top deck) is running out of the water anyways. The part of the hull that is actually running in the water is the same as any other similar shaped hull. Pickle forks will run no better or worse IMO in blown out conditions or late afternoon chop (I run in open water in 20-30mph winds no problem in my Axis A22). This is the only pickle fork bow boat I've owned but I do know that my A22 does run drier inside the cabin then the traditional bow boats I've owned while operating in late afternoon chop. I've noticed the pickle fork directs the bow spray more outward then upward so less spray coming in.
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-07-2014, 10:59 AM Reply   
I personally think they ride worse in rough water. My experience comes from the smaller 20 foot Tige Pickles. The bow doesn't cut as well threw the waves. I have been told this is due to the extra flair of the bow for the wider top. So as the bow needs to sink into the water to knife throw a wave a traditional V will sing and cut deeper, where the flair of the pickle V wants to bounce upwards due to the increase surface area. This is how it was explained to my and it makes sense to me. I know our lighter 21 foot inboard cut the chop better than the 20 foot pickle fork bow V drive does. But neither rode great if its really rough, just not what these boats are made for.
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-07-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
I personally think they ride worse in rough water. My experience comes from the smaller 20 foot Tige Pickles. The bow doesn't cut as well threw the waves. I have been told this is due to the extra flair of the bow for the wider top. So as the bow needs to sink into the water to knife throw a wave a traditional V will sing and cut deeper, where the flair of the pickle V wants to bounce upwards due to the increase surface area. This is how it was explained to my and it makes sense to me. I know our lighter 21 foot inboard cut the chop better than the 20 foot pickle fork bow V drive does. But neither rode great if its really rough, just not what these boats are made for.
Tiges PF bow hulls do appear wider at the bow (almost like an old tri-hull) compared to MC, Mailbu, Axis, Supra, and MB. I know that when I ride in 20-30mph chop I actually add ballast to the bow to get that "v" portion of the hull more in the water to slice the chop and it makes a big difference...in the Axis anyways. My buddies with Axis also run the same in chop...with almost full front ballast. Don't know what brand PF bow boat original poster is looking at but the Axis hull is, I believe, is similar to or is the same as an older generation Malibu VLX hull with mods for the PF bow.

Last edited by you_da_man; 01-07-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old    Tom (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-07-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Tiges PF bow hulls do appear wider at the bow (almost like an old tri-hull) compared to MC, Mailbu, Axis, Supra, and MB. I know that when I ride in 20-30mph chop I actually add ballast to the bow to get that "v" portion of the hull more in the water to slice the chop and it makes a big difference...in the Axis anyways. My buddies with Axis also run the same in chop...with almost full front ballast. Don't know what brand PF bow boat original poster is looking at but the Axis hull is, I believe, is similar to or is the same as an older generation Malibu VLX hull with mods for the PF bow.
Yes, the key to getting the better ride in chop is to bring the bow down and get the V in the water.

Take a look at this video, I linked it to start at a specific time during which hull design and ride comfort is discussed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...c1Fw0NKQ#t=132

Last edited by boardjnky4; 01-07-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-07-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
I have a Tige RZ2 and it rides the same as the Tige 22Ve in the chop, no ride benefit to the pickle fork at all in rough water. If you really look at the pickle fork, most of them are just at the top half of the hull that is out of the water anyway.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-07-2014, 6:30 PM Reply   
I also have a Tige RZ2 and previously owned a Tige 22ve and a Correct Craft Nautique Excel. I see no difference in the two Tige's . The Correct Craft was slightly rougher,but i contribute that to it being a smaller lighter boat.You can dunk the bow on any boat if you don't know how to properly throttle down a inboard Wakeboat.All of the pickle Forks i've ridden in MC,Nautique G23,Axis and Malibu haven't had any issues dunking the bow.
Old    Zach Gibbs (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-08-2014, 4:34 PM Reply   
This is interesting to me because I currently have a Pickle Fork on my a22 and am getting a Tige Z1 with a v nose this year.
Old    Mike North Carolina (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-08-2014, 4:59 PM Reply   
Good luck with the tige. Make sure u have a good dealer. I was considering a tige too until my buddy had a ton of trouble out of his z1 and the dealer could never get it right. Was at dealer numerous times for lengthy stays and always had problems. I saw much of the correspondence and runaround he got from tige and ultimately they gave him a rediculous insulting offer to get him out of his what we considered a lemon with numerous unresolved problems after many failed attempts. He finally traded it in for a Byerly and raves about the service he gets and performance of his boat. After his ordeal I backed away from tige and went with Malibu instead. I had a nautique also which was a great and reliable boat. I hope my Mxz does as good for me. Good luck if u go with the tige. Some may blast me but I know what I watched my best friend go thru. Chatlee dealership and tige even parted ways and this boat I think was icing on the cake on that deal.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-08-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
Good luck with the tige. Make sure u have a good dealer. I was considering a tige too until my buddy had a ton of trouble out of his z1 and the dealer could never get it right. Was at dealer numerous times for lengthy stays and always had problems. I saw much of the correspondence and runaround he got from tige and ultimately they gave him a rediculous insulting offer to get him out of his what we considered a lemon with numerous unresolved problems after many failed attempts. He finally traded it in for a Byerly and raves about the service he gets and performance of his boat. After his ordeal I backed away from tige and went with Malibu instead. I had a nautique also which was a great and reliable boat. I hope my Mxz does as good for me. Good luck if u go with the tige. Some may blast me but I know what I watched my best friend go thru. Chatlee dealership and tige even parted ways and this boat I think was icing on the cake on that deal.
Funny i bought my second Tige from Chatlee. My 2007 that i brought them from Richmond VA was cleaner than my new boat i came to pick up. The new boat didn't have all the items i had ordered on it. So i had to wait 2 more weeks to get it. After a month of no sales on my 2007 they took on consignment i went to pick it up.When i left my 2007 I told them i just had it detailed and they promised to keep it inside. When i arrived to pick it up it had bird poop all over it and 100 gallons or more of water in the bilge. I had to re clean the whole boat.I sold it myself in less than 30 days for exactly what i was asking to the first person who took a look and demo ride.The other fun fact was i knew more about what Tige did and didn't offer than the people at Chatlee. They were clueless. Some friends of mine bought a Z3 from them and had problems getting it serviced there. I told them about the PCM recall on the coolant hoses and they finally got it fixed.They said they would never take their Tige back there again. Moral of the story….. There's always two sides to the story. My current Tige has 300 trouble free hours on it. My 2007 Tige has over 600 trouble free hours on it.Every Tige at the lake we frequent has been very reliable. The Malibu dealer at the lake just dropped the line for Centurion. Do i think Malibu's suck? No. Neither did another wakeboard shop because they picked up the line within 6 months.
Old    Mike North Carolina (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-08-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
No offense to u Robert. I know u r always polite and helpful on the board and don't get in the childish crap. Yes Chatlee was horrible. But what I speak of my buddy's situation is first hand knowledge. I've seen and read the emails back and forth and heard conversations on spkr phone with regional tige rep, tige service rep and tige national manager. They just flat out screwed my buddy over in my opinion and did not offer him adequate resolution in my opinion. Hell he even offered to take a credit for what he paid on his lemon and they give him a new one for same or close. Even with all the nightmares of problems he had with tower and engine over and over again they still lowballed him with a trade offer thru a dealer or told him he could bring it to Texas factory for service, hell with the problems he had they should have came and got the damn boat. But I know for sure it cost them a sale cuz before it went down I was gonna fly down for a demo and buy a rz2. But I'm happy with my new mxz22 and feel it worked out for the best for me. Love my new boat, can't wait for spring and summer
Old    Zach Gibbs (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-08-2014, 6:55 PM Reply   
Well I have a great dealer and they are the main reason I will buy a tige. Also let me say Im not loyal to any brand I think any boat that floats is a good boat but they all have lemons, my bubbly has a 2013 Malibu that has been in the shop more than he has used it and another with a 2012 Malibu with 400 hrs and no problems, My Axis has 240 hours with no issues but they all have lemons.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-09-2014, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
No offense to u Robert. I know u r always polite and helpful on the board and don't get in the childish crap. Yes Chatlee was horrible. But what I speak of my buddy's situation is first hand knowledge. I've seen and read the emails back and forth and heard conversations on spkr phone with regional tige rep, tige service rep and tige national manager. They just flat out screwed my buddy over in my opinion and did not offer him adequate resolution in my opinion. Hell he even offered to take a credit for what he paid on his lemon and they give him a new one for same or close. Even with all the nightmares of problems he had with tower and engine over and over again they still lowballed him with a trade offer thru a dealer or told him he could bring it to Texas factory for service, hell with the problems he had they should have came and got the damn boat. But I know for sure it cost them a sale cuz before it went down I was gonna fly down for a demo and buy a rz2. But I'm happy with my new mxz22 and feel it worked out for the best for me. Love my new boat, can't wait for spring and summer
I was just posting my personal experience and what i've seen over on Tige Owners. I'm not saying i've never seen a Tige have a issue.Like was mentioned above all boats have issues from time to time. It's whether or not they get resolved as to how you remember them. If the dealer says no problem i'll take care of that and resolves it you forget it. But if you go back and forth and never get it resolved it's a major issue. There are many Tige Dealers who are praised regularly on Tige Owners. There are also a few that get bashed regularly and they don't last. We also see owners getting in touch with Tige directly. Tige has to my knowledge resolved the issues owners have brought to them.But as you have pointed out i don't know all the owners.I'm sure it's the same with other boat manufacturers.Just like the Ford,Chevy and Dodge debate i'm sure everyone has a story. Happy Boating!!!!
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-09-2014, 7:05 AM Reply   
Wow, sorry to her about your buddies experience with his Tige. That's really unfortunate for him and the dealer. What the dealers fault in this was is still unclear. What seems clear is that the manufacturer offered no mutually acceptable resolution to the problem.

Even more unfortunate; this is not as uncommon as these half dozen Tige wonks will lead you to believe. No matter; just know these same handful of "contributors" troll around waiting for someone to mention a problem they have had with their boat, then go to great lengths to discredit or minimize another consumers experience. I am starting to believe they are paid by Tige to do these things.
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-09-2014, 7:13 AM Reply   
Boardman is correct. The 20' Tige pickle forks tend to be rougher riding. The RZ2 is probably my favorite Tige boat. Although I tend to think it's a little rougher riding then a standard hull. The Supreme 226, while a pickle fork, is probably the best riding boat in rough water I have ever been in. That thing really blew me away.
Old    Supreme Device (rullery)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-09-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
I rarely post on here but thought I'd chime in on Tige. Just got an r20 last spring. Put 130 hrs on it so far, and apart from the VX bracket needing adjustment I have had no major issues. A few small things (carpet snaps, rack bungee) along with the bracket issue were taken care of no questions asked by my dealer. great experience so far. My 2 cents.

I think the OP's question was pretty well explained in that video
Old    Hey, You scratched my anchor! (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-09-2014, 9:24 PM Reply   
Nothing will ride as well as your Sanger in chop.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-10-2014, 3:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Wow, sorry to her about your buddies experience with his Tige. That's really unfortunate for him and the dealer. What the dealers fault in this was is still unclear. What seems clear is that the manufacturer offered no mutually acceptable resolution to the problem.

Even more unfortunate; this is not as uncommon as these half dozen Tige wonks will lead you to believe. No matter; just know these same handful of "contributors" troll around waiting for someone to mention a problem they have had with their boat, then go to great lengths to discredit or minimize another consumers experience. I am starting to believe they are paid by Tige to do these things.
Actually Secret let's look at profiles. Yours is secret,but i would bet you have less than 100 posts under that Profile name. Check mine out and you will see over 3500 posts. Conclusion Tige must be a BUZZ WORD on here. Secret Squirrel must be the Troll.
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-10-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
No secret there Robert, Secret Squirrel is the old SMDFSRK..you know #1 Tige hater on WW. I think the mystery adds to his posts!!
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-10-2014, 10:10 AM Reply   
Nobody is bashing anything. In fact I quite appreciate what Tige has to offer. The convex style hull in conjunction with the TAPS plate is a nice feature for a multitude of reasons. I just happen to agree with, and have been making mention of a lot of what is talked about in this particular Tige Owners thread. Better look soon it could disappear at any time.

ASR Build Your Tige

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 01-10-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:32 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us