Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Ben R (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-02-2013, 2:28 PM Reply   
I sold my I/o yesterday and now I'm looking for a v drive. I am trying to decide between a MC205v and a Nautique Super Sport. I have ridden behind an 08 x1 and an 05 x2 both have the 205 hull. But I have never ridden behind a nautique.

So first of all, what are the characteristics of the wake in comparison to the 205. And second, does anybody have one near central Illinois that I could ride behind? I don't wanna buy something and it not meet my expectations. Let me know via pm
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-02-2013, 8:46 PM Reply   
Can't you demo the Super sport and ride behind it then? Pretty common practice for a demo to include a ride behind as the wake is a buying factor for many.
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-03-2013, 8:02 AM Reply   
The 210 will have a steeper wake than the 205. The 210's wake has been compared to getting booted by a curb, as where the 205 had a bit more transition. I really wanted a 1st gen 210, but after seeing the wake I thought better of it and the toll it would take on my knees.

Honestly, it is hard to go wrong with either boat. Definitely check the 210's wake out in person though, it is a favorite of almost every rider for a reason.
Old    Tampa Wake (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-03-2013, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have an 02 xstar and ride between it and the 210. If I had to do over again I would go 210. Just make sure you put weight in the front of the 210 and the wake is not quite as abrupt. I just think the deeper V rides better and the wake is easier to jack up with less weight.
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-03-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
The 210's wake has been compared to getting booted by a curb, as where the 205 had a bit more transition. I really wanted a 1st gen 210, but after seeing the wake I thought better of it and the toll it would take on my knees. .
I get really confused when I see these statements over and over again. Is the Nautique SS and SuperAir wake steep, and an abrupt kick, yes. It hits sooner than lots of wakes out there... that said, I don't know how it ruins knees... Wakeboarding has the potential to ruin knees, not a specific wake... It's not like its dangerous and washy...

The wake is steep. If you hit it with good body position and stay strong, nothing bad happens. If you edge into it sloppy, it can buck you, but what big wake can't? I've never gotten tripped by a superair wake like you would trip over a curb... Its not like hitting a big mean steep double up that can boot you every time, its a sharp pop, but its smooth.

The 205 wake is a bit more forgiving with a slightly longer transition... I've found the nautique wake is firmer... but I haven't ridden the 205 extensively.

Superair wake is great for straight up pop and wake to wake riding. I think it is a bit narrower on average, so if you don't tailor your edge, the pop may carry you into the flats more. That said you can ride it straight up and down and get serious air... Its one of my favorite wakes, but I like steep wakes... I'm riding a wedged 2011 bu VLX now... thats also a steep wake but you don't see people saying "uhhh your knees are gonna die and its like hitting a curb..."

My vote is for superair, but I am a nautique fanboy and love the Superair wake and how it builds, in my opinion, very nicely with moderate (2k lbs) weight. You can't go wrong with either though

You can go down to a 1995 for the supersport which is the same hull as the 99-2006 superair
Old    Ben R (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-03-2013, 9:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
Can't you demo the Super sport and ride behind it then? Pretty common practice for a demo to include a ride behind as the wake is a buying factor for many.
A super sport that's in my price range won't have a tower or the ballast necessary for a proper wake. That's why I wanted to try a SAN.

I like the idea of a more firm wake that sends you up more than out. Sounds like a super sport is my ideal boat.
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-03-2013, 10:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I get really confused when I see these statements over and over again. Is the Nautique SS and SuperAir wake steep, and an abrupt kick, yes. It hits sooner than lots of wakes out there... that said, I don't know how it ruins knees... Wakeboarding has the potential to ruin knees, not a specific wake... It's not like its dangerous and washy...

The wake is steep. If you hit it with good body position and stay strong, nothing bad happens. If you edge into it sloppy, it can buck you, but what big wake can't? I've never gotten tripped by a superair wake like you would trip over a curb... Its not like hitting a big mean steep double up that can boot you every time, its a sharp pop, but its smooth.

The 205 wake is a bit more forgiving with a slightly longer transition... I've found the nautique wake is firmer... but I haven't ridden the 205 extensively.

Superair wake is great for straight up pop and wake to wake riding. I think it is a bit narrower on average, so if you don't tailor your edge, the pop may carry you into the flats more. That said you can ride it straight up and down and get serious air... Its one of my favorite wakes, but I like steep wakes... I'm riding a wedged 2011 bu VLX now... thats also a steep wake but you don't see people saying "uhhh your knees are gonna die and its like hitting a curb..."

My vote is for superair, but I am a nautique fanboy and love the Superair wake and how it builds, in my opinion, very nicely with moderate (2k lbs) weight. You can't go wrong with either though

You can go down to a 1995 for the supersport which is the same hull as the 99-2006 superair
Not as forgiving, abrupt /steep wake with a small transition. Throw in how narrow it is, and the fact it has a trough that precedes the actual wake, and you have all the ingredients to achy knees the next day.

If you don't agree, no worries. I am not knocking the boat, I just preferred the wake on the 205.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-03-2013, 11:32 PM Reply   
You can't get more wake per dollar than a used SAN or super sport from that era. Especially if you consider fuel economy. It takes very little weight to create a world class wake plus you get a PCM motor. I love watching the look on my Malibu owning friends' faces when they hit my wake. Wish I had pics.
Old    Justin (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-04-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
I don't know anybody that doesn't like the 205v wake weighted right. The older san wake is more abrupt, but has a bigger trough that can be tough on less experienced riders. The 205v wake is a little more forgiving, but still sends you more up than out. Both are great wakes.
Old    Ben R (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-04-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
Now finding one in the 16-19k price range that's not torn to hell is the hard part.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:53 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us