Ok. I'm sure this will be a bit of a heated discussion with lots of polarizing opinions but I would like to hear them.
I have a 2011 2WD F150 Platinum Ecoboost with ~49k miles. I bought it new about 18 months ago. I drive quite a bit and since October of last year, I am driving even more.
My truck has been pretty good to me. I had some minor surging issues with the EB but a flash of the computer by the dealer seemed to fix it.
I do lots of highway driving but being in Houston, I spend a lot of time in traffic and also spend a fair amount of time just parked, doing work in the truck while waiting on a client or contractor.
My truck has a lifetime MPG of 17.4. The only mod is an Airaide intake. I can get 22mpg easily on the freeway if I keep it under 70.
The EB tows my boat (~5000lbs with all mods and some lead) with ease though the highway towing MPG is around 11.5 @ 65.
Lately, I'm getting a lot of creaking and rattling from the rear suspension and get a popping sound in the front when turning into a sloped driveway. I took it to the dealer just before the end of the bumper to bumper warranty to have them look at it but they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm sure if I left it now they would figure it out as it has gotten worse. I'm starting to wonder if towing the boat has caused these issues.
So, I think I've pretty much decided I'm getting a new truck. I just can't decide if it makes more sense to get a 1/2 ton again or a 3/4 ton. I'll definitely get a 4WD truck this time and would love to have a 4-6" lift and larger wheels and tires. I just don't think it makes sense with as much as I drive (from a cost and durability perspective).
I haven't completely decided on which brand though for the most part I like the F150 and F250 the best.
Here is my short list:
- 2013 FX4 F150 ~$40k (average discount seems to be about $10k off). I'd probably go back with an EB though I do miss having a V8 and the 5.0 is a really nice motor. The downside here is that the 2014's will be here in the fall and 2015's should be here in about a year with a redesign I believe.
- 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD with Hemi, 8spd Auto and Air Suspension ~$40k? Not positive on the pricing but I have a good friend who is the GM of a Dodge store so I'd get a pretty good deal. I'm kinda lukewarm on the Dodge from a looks perspective unless it is lifted.
- 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD. I have only seen the original pics of this truck when it was released and I kinda liked it. I have no clue on the pricing but I'm sure it would be $45k+ since they are new, if not $50k. I'm not too warm on Government Motors these days.
- 2013 FX4 F250 Diesel ~$50k - $55k? I like the F250's a lot but I've only ever had 1/2 ton trucks. I know it's not that much bigger but it is a little bigger. I'd feel completely comfortable that this truck would last a long time and have zero issues towing the boat. What could I expect as far as MPG?
- 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4WD Diesel ~45k - $50k. A good friend just bought this truck in a Mega Cab (which I don't care for) and he loves it. He said he gets 21mpg on the highway with a tune and the truck flies.
Sorry for the novel. I'd love some input here though.
I don't think I would buy a Tundra but you guys are welcome to weigh in as well as it may be helpful info for others.
No VW Van suggestions please.