Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
I'm looking for my first wake board boat and I'm between two boats. I am looking at a 2004 x2 with 425 hours, tower,speakers,cruise,ballast, the works. And a 06 moomba xlv with 225 hours,tower,speakers,ballast,cruise. They are the same price at around 32k. I like the mastercraft, who wouldn't, but at the same time it has twice the hours as the moomba and two years older. Not sure if 200 more hours is anything to b worried about. The moomba is also a bigger boat, at 23ft compared to 21ft. I'm looking for a good wake and surf boat. What way should I go?
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
Hard to compare those 2 because of the size alone. First question is do you need the size of the XLV?
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say I need it. But wouldn't have a hard time finding friends to fill it lol
Old    Tim (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
The xlv will hold more people. The fit and finish of the Mastercraft will be a lot better. I don't think either boat has a ton of hours on it. Barely broken in. jk. I would probably pick the Moomba if it was me. I like a larger interior.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-16-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
I had an 08 XLV and now I have a new MC X-30 now. Both the XLV and X2 are great boats. There is a pretty big size difference there, but the X2 feels large for a 20 footer. The XLV surfs great and the wakeboard wake is steep and narrow, but it is a little toughy side to side. I had 400 hours on my Moomba without issue.


I think the things to factor are size for your needs, engine, ballast setup and condition of the boat and interior. At that age either of those boats might be suffering from Vinyl issues.
Old    Tim (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
Link them to the website so one of us can buy one before you get to it, it will make your choice a lot easier.
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
^^^Thats a nice way to help out!!!!!!
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
Hahah that would make it easier. Other than the obvious size difference. How do the wakes compare. The mc has 2 x750 in the back 300 in the locker and 1000 in bow. The moomb has 1700lb not to sure how its distributed
Old    Tim (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
I rode behind a Moomba LSV and the wake was nice. I didn't see it wash on either side. It was was peaky. I think both boats have plenty of ballast for wakeboarding.
Old    Ben Sampson (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-16-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
I'll be happy to sell you my X2 for 30k to help solve your dilemma.
Old    Tampa Wake (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-16-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
I gotta say I love my 205v Xstar but would kill for a bigger boat. That X2 is a nice boat and big for a 20ft boat but I wish I had gone for a bigger boat vs best wake on the planet. The X2 is going to have more bling and be a bit flashier. Allegedly built better which we all can go on and on. However, your gonna wish you had a bigger boat in the long run. Good luck thats just my 2 cents!
Old    Tim (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
I gotta say I love my 205v Xstar but would kill for a bigger boat. That X2 is a nice boat and big for a 20ft boat but I wish I had gone for a bigger boat vs best wake on the planet. The X2 is going to have more bling and be a bit flashier. Allegedly built better which we all can go on and on. However, your gonna wish you had a bigger boat in the long run. Good luck thats just my 2 cents!
This is very true. That moomba holds 16 people. The x-2 only holds 11.
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
Have u ever realy taken 16 people on your boat though?
Old    Tim (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboy250 View Post
Have u ever realy taken 16 people on your boat though?
I have taken 13 out on mine. It is rated for 10. Every weekend last summer I had 9-10 people on my boat while going to party cove. I had to tell some friends I didn't have room cause my boat wasn't big enough.
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 11:13 AM Reply   
Haha good story
Old    Tampa Wake (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-16-2013, 11:14 AM Reply   
Oh and lets be honest my xstar aka X1 says fits 11. It will FIT 11 but thats on top of each other. Say it will fit 5 or 6 remotely comfortable in cock pit including driver. 2 max in bow So 16 max fit in that boat my guess closer to 10 or 11 comfortable including the bow in which no one ever sits. So you gotta think cockpit.
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 11:15 AM Reply   
The census looks like the moomba is the way to go. I'm surprises. Just don't think it will fit in my garage now haha
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-16-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
I had a 2008 XLV and it was very touchy side to side as far as setting up the wake to be clean on both side at recreational speeds (22mph and below). So if you have a family with kids or take youngsters out, I'd stay away from the XLV for a beginner wake...not for it's size just for it to be scaled down. It is a pretty good surf boat, it is big but there's no way you could comfortably fit 16 people in that boat...that's BS. Also, IF you live in an area the gets very hot and humid, some year model Moombas are known for the occassional vapor locking issue on their fuel pumps. Easy to resolve if it happens to you on the water but still a pain and can get frustrating (had mine do this twice and helped probably 2-3 other Moombas on my lake with the issue on the water after seeing them being towed and the owner had no idea about the issue). New Moombas (2009 and new do not have this issue). The cabin is massive and the sun pad is very nice and big. Didn't like the ballast switches being down low by my feet. If the cruise on the Moomba is factory...forget it, it's practically useless and frustrating. I put 200 hours on mine in the 1 1/2 years since I bought it new. Other than the vapor lock issue twice, the engine was good and strong. Platform was sloppy in that it moves up and down and makes a "clunking" sound if you are floating and rollers or waves hit your boat. The newer Moombas 2011 and up are much nicer than their older models. I'd look at a newer Moomba LSV in your price range vs. the XLV honestly.

Last edited by you_da_man; 05-16-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old    Tim C (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-16-2013, 11:30 AM Reply   
For 32k you probably have a lot of choices.

MC X2 - I find to be a great size (I own a 2004). I really don't want 16 people on my boat ever.
also, X2 = arguably unbeatable wake

With that in mind, you could throw older wakesetters and SAN's (or MB's or Tige's...) in the mix for similar price ranges. I wouldn't rule any of those out...

Future resale of the Moomba won't be as good

Why are you only looking at 2 boats? What area are you in?
Old    Tim (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
If you plan to store it in your garage, that should be your main factor when buying a boat.
Old    Detox (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-16-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
i would think the mastercraft would probably hold up a little better in the long run, being moomba is geared toward a lower price than supra's- but i wouldn't buy a boat as small as the x2 ever. I have an older mastercraft 230(same as x30) and its held up amazing as has my uncles. I'm not a huge mastercraft fan generally, but when I was looking I tried to find the biggest, cleanest boat that fit the budget, was well made and rode nice. Those boats are so different how did you narrow it down to the two of them? Is it price alone, or they're at a dealer close by? I'd think at 30k you'd have all sorts of options in the 23' range that would allow you to compare more than the x2 and the moomba
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
Still not an easy dessision. Having the exta room could come in handy. The small things on the mc make it hard to let go like the board racks. Without the bungie cord, the interior, not to mention the mc comes w four wet sound tower speakers.
Old    Tampa Wake (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-16-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
Older SAN 210 and SS are going to be the size of the XStar X2 X1. I spend about 50/50 in one. The MBs, Tiges will get you more size as well as an older Wakesetter and V Rides. All being the same I would lean the BU or Tige way for bigger. Tim is right our boats wake is pretty unbeatable but the surf wake is average to smallish. If your down to a cc210 or xstar x2 x1 I would go with the 210 it rides better than mine. Good luck.
Old    Tim C (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-16-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
One thing also to mention is how hard is the tower to fold.

I have 4 10" NVS horn loaded cans on my tower - there is no way in heck I could fold it myself...actually I found it nearly impossible to fold my Sanger tower with 2 8" Bullets with horns.

If you have to fold the tower to get it into your garage you really need to focus on that aspect of the boat (beyond the physical size of the boat)

Oh - and the board racks you mention are a thing of beauty IMO.
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 11:42 AM Reply   
I'm located near des mones Iowa. The boats are privately owned. Iv come across these boats ether on craigslist or boat trader
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
Not sure it it makes a difference to those recommending bigger boats but I am 5"2 110 lb so I by no means would b cramped in a smaller boat
Old    William Burell (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-16-2013, 12:53 PM Reply   
test drive both or go look at them. Both are good boats but its all in what you like. The mc is gonna hold value much better imho and the wake is better. Obviously the size is better on the moomba but you are going to pay for it in the long run with resale. If you can't store your boat don't forget to add in storage costs. I pay like 60/mo for mine and that doesn't include fetching gas, and the pita to go get the thing whenever I want to ride. On the other hand I don't have to fold the tower etc either. Just look at all aspects of it.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-16-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
If one will fit in your garage and the other won't, well then you've made your decision.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-16-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
Personally I would choose the XLV if they have similar options and are in similar condition as well as didn't have space restrictions. As far as mechanic reliability I would call it a wash. Both use Indmar engines. I am not sure you have to worry about hull longevity either. The mastercraft will have more detailed vinyl, accessories and other components but I am not sure how much different the actual "quality" is. I would expect the mastercraft to have thicker carpet and vinyl but I am not sure how much better. I completely disagree with the others saying the X2 is a big 20' boat. It is a tiny 20.5' boat since the one he is looking at is a 2004. There is very little storage in the 205V hull X2. Also even though the boat has legendary wake status it will need a fair amount of lead in it or bags everywhere. Outside of the center ballast the only other place to hide ballast in it is under the seats with an integrated bow sack and that will probably only fill to 250-350 pounds tops. You will want an addition 750-1000 pounds of ballast in the front to compensate for full 750's if you go that route in the back as most do. The 205V is one of the worst rough water riding Vdrives ever make. It is as flat a hull as you can get. The mastercraft should have a nicer wakeboard racks setup. The Mastercraft will ski better if you are into that type of thing.

The XLV will be huge in comparison. It will have a lot more room for people and in storage. The other nice thing about the XLV is that in addition to large rear lockers it also has a play pen bow and you can fit an 1100 pound gravity games sack in there all out of sight with some extra storage under the bow cushions. The XLV is deeper boat. The XLV will have the wake plate which is great for a bunch of things. It allows you to be able to adjust the wake some for wakeboarding or surfing, it will allow you to get up on plane easier when loaded and it will also help keep the bow down for a better rough water ride. The XLV is 2.5 feet longer and 8 inches wider. It is 500 pounds or so heavier though. IT will be little harder to tow because of the extra length and weight and will probably handle a little worse, at least around the dock and launch.

Overall, even though the XLV won't have the fit and finish/plushness of the X2 it beats it in so many other catagories. The only reason I would choose the X2 is if I normally rode with a smaller crew that wanted a pro level wake and I didnt' mind filling extra sacks that are laying in the bow or walkway. That and if I had size restrictions due to garage, lake rules or tow vehicle.
Old    Eric (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-17-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
The mastercraft will have more detailed vinyl, accessories and other components but I am not sure how much different the actual "quality" is.

Compared to a Moomba?!?! Ok, now you are getting carried away.

Saying actual "quality" might not be better than something like a Malibu or a Nautique is definitely a fair statement...... But a Moomba? They are great price point boats, but lets face it, build quality is not even close.
Old    Mike (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-17-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
I don't know if its been mentioned or not yet, but the Moomba will most likely excel in rough water conditions. That X2 is based off a slalom boat (same hull), and as a result is very flat. Rough water will be unforgiving in the X2. If you're on a big lake that can get really rough, it would be something to thnk about.
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-17-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
Dave, you said they are "around 32". What does that mean?

Mastercraft vs. Moomba, Mastercraft every time for me. Build quality, resale etc. Are you really 5-2 110? Why don't you look at similar Tiges/Centurions of the same year. I would take them in a heartbeat over the Moomba, they'll be bigger than the Mastercraft and better suited to a first boat. My gut says the Moomba is on the high end of price for that year.

Moomba vs. Mastercraft is a really funny argument though...
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-17-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
When I replied, I was thinking you were comparing it to the newer style X2.

The XLV will have double the storage, almost double the seating will be way better in chop. It also has some nice rear facing seat options.

In terms of build quality both hulls will last a lifetime, both have Indmar motors. That area of MC is not nearly as blingy as a new MC so I don't know how the "build quality" can be night and day.

The XLV will surf better and the X2 will wakeboard better. Other than that almost all the other advantages go to the XLV other than handling.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-17-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
When I replied, I was thinking you were comparing it to the newer style X2.

The XLV will have double the storage, almost double the seating will be way better in chop. It also has some nice rear facing seat options.

In terms of build quality both hulls will last a lifetime, both have Indmar motors. That area of MC is not nearly as blingy as a new MC so I don't know how the "build quality" can be night and day.

The XLV will surf better and the X2 will wakeboard better. Other than that almost all the other advantages go to the XLV other than handling.
I agree and I also think that people mistake something being "fancy" or "luxury" with being of good quality. Now I don't know what the difference in thickness of the vinyl is from a 2006 Moomba to a 2004 Mastercraft but the main reason people think the mastercraft vinyl is better is because it has a bunch of extra stitching and textures. Neither of those things make the vinyl last longer under normal use.
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-17-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Seat pads are thicker in the mastercraft apples to apples 2003 supra to 2003 X2... moomba might not even be as padded/comfortable as the supra isn't... mastercraft interior is definitely higher quality.
Old    Jeff Hill (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-17-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
Centurions are of equal or lesser build qaulity then a Moomba!!!!
And it depends on whoever built the boat that day at the factory...bad employee=bad qaulity...IMHO

go with your gut...
X2=awesome wake but little room...perfect "Core riders" boat
XLV is a narrow 23' boat which makes it sensitive side to side.

I own a 2007 Moomba LSV and run it hard and it has held up great.

X2's seem to have a small gas tank I towed a few back to the docks at the end of the day.

Tough choice if both are nice....not a fair comparison head to head.....
Old    Paul (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-17-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
There are so many other boats out there in that 32K range you could be chosing from. X2 is too small. I had one and hated it. It was a good boat, but small and would beat you to death in chop. I would look at a Supra, Malibu, Nauti, or Tige before the Moomba, strickly for resale.
Old    Josh M (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-17-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
I'm biased, but I'd go with the MC for sure. Fit and finish will be better, and wake will be much better. That hull is hard to beat when it comes to wakeboarding. In fact for that year, I'd go ahead and say unbeatable. Surfing wake is ok, but if wakeboarding is your thing, then the X2 wins that hands down.
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2013, 1:13 PM Reply   
I'm floored by some of these responses. Anyone debating the quality difference between the two boats, have you recently been on a 2006 Moomba? We aren't talking about '12 or '13 Moombas where Skiers Choice has significantly upped their game. Anyone that had worked on, cut into, or repaired the gel on both an older MC and older Moomba knows what I am talking about. Moombas are fine boats, and they have come a long way in recent years, but the older ones are not the first thing I think of when the word "quality" comes up.

I will agree the X2/X1/OG Star is small, but I don't think defaulting to the next available boat in the price range is your best option. If I was buying a 7 year old or older used boat, I would be hard pressed to look further than the big three. (Malibu, Nautique, Mastercraft)
Old    BLAIR BARHAM (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
Moomba upped there game in 2006 not 2012 or 13
Old    Tim C (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-17-2013, 2:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Moomba vs. Mastercraft is a really funny argument though...

Yeah, it is...which is why you may as well throw Malibu, MB, Nautique, Sanger, Tige, Centurion, Supra, and Glastron into the mix

He asks a fair enough question...but when you compare a 21 footer to a 23 footer, along come the opinions.

I'm going to disagree with Brett yet again - as well as the others that say the 205V is too small. Do you all drive around in Excursions? If you always have 8 large males with you on your boat (see:sausagesetter), then perhaps the 205V is small...

I will also disagree with Brett about the vinyl. My Sanger was perfect and beautiful...my Mastercraft is WAY nicer and even WAY more used than my Sanger was. The Mastercraft is just far more "plush" (and it seems more durable other than the stitching issues they had)

For me, my wife, our 2 girls and another family of 4 we are perfectly fine in my X2. I am never wanting for more room.

As far as storage goes, I can't complain there either. Under the observer side is just amps so tons of room for female gear as well as some tie off ropes and a flag. Under seats has buoys more rope, wakeskate, wakeboarding rope, tools, shoes, and is never really "full".

I did regularly run out of room in my direct drive so I do understand the frustration of not having enough space.

I would venture that 2006 moomba's finally were meeting Sanger's game in terms of fit and finish. I do not believe they are or were up to Malibu, nautique or mastercraft levels.
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-17-2013, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Dave, you said they are "around 32". What does that mean?

Mastercraft vs. Moomba, Mastercraft every time for me. Build quality, resale etc. Are you really 5-2 110? Why don't you look at similar Tiges/Centurions of the same year. I would take them in a heartbeat over the Moomba, they'll be bigger than the Mastercraft and better suited to a first boat. My gut says the Moomba is on the high end of price for that year.

Moomba vs. Mastercraft is a really funny argument though...
The ones 32500 and the other 32000
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2013, 2:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Moomba upped there game in 2006 not 2012 or 13
Your opinion, my buddy's 06 would suggest otherwise...
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-17-2013, 2:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Yeah, it is...which is why you may as well throw Malibu, MB, Nautique, Sanger, Tige, Centurion, Supra, and Glastron into the mix

He asks a fair enough question...but when you compare a 21 footer to a 23 footer, along come the opinions.

I'm going to disagree with Brett yet again - as well as the others that say the 205V is too small. Do you all drive around in Excursions? If you always have 8 large males with you on your boat (see:sausagesetter), then perhaps the 205V is small...

I will also disagree with Brett about the vinyl. My Sanger was perfect and beautiful...my Mastercraft is WAY nicer and even WAY more used than my Sanger was. The Mastercraft is just far more "plush" (and it seems more durable other than the stitching issues they had)

For me, my wife, our 2 girls and another family of 4 we are perfectly fine in my X2. I am never wanting for more room.

As far as storage goes, I can't complain there either. Under the observer side is just amps so tons of room for female gear as well as some tie off ropes and a flag. Under seats has buoys more rope, wakeskate, wakeboarding rope, tools, shoes, and is never really "full".

I did regularly run out of room in my direct drive so I do understand the frustration of not having enough space.

I would venture that 2006 moomba's finally were meeting Sanger's game in terms of fit and finish. I do not believe they are or were up to Malibu, nautique or mastercraft levels.
It's really funny - and no offense to the OP, but first post. How many first posters have we seen in the past say "G23 vs RZ2" "Moomba vs. Mastercraft" "Supra vs. Superair 230 vs. Malibu MXZ22" yada yada yada. Everyone has such tight drawers on. Nobody really asks these questions.
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-17-2013, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboy250 View Post
The ones 32500 and the other 32000
Which is which?? That didn't answer my question.
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-17-2013, 2:45 PM Reply   
I am looking to stay around 30k. And every one says there r alot of options at this price range but I'm not seeing it. Not finding to many tige or natuques at this price and year
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-17-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
The matercraft 32500. Xlv 32000
Old    Eric (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-17-2013, 3:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Moomba upped there game in 2006 not 2012 or 13

Funny post is funny.
Old    Jon (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-17-2013, 3:50 PM Reply   
go take a test ride on each and pick the one that you like best....
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-17-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboy250 View Post
I am looking to stay around 30k. And every one says there r alot of options at this price range but I'm not seeing it. Not finding to many tige or natuques at this price and year
Where are you looking? Local? How far are you willing to drive to get the right boat for the right price?
Old    David Langston (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-17-2013, 5:26 PM Reply   
Moomba will not have the same and is not intended to have the same fit and finish / plushness of master crafts, thus why if you were to go buy a new boat today, the MC would cost double what the moomba does. Moombas are intended to allow average people the chance to enjoy boating in a simple and reliable boat.

I totally agree with the posts that bling does not mean quality as far as gadgets go. Something like carpet and vinyl will probably be better quality but electronic gizmos are just something else that can break. Just like people who buy Cadillacs and expect them to never break down....all you bought was a chevy with more gizmos....

Now in this scenario I would go XLV all the way, huge boat and unless you need a clean wakeboard wake at very slow speeds I dont see where the MC wins. Both boats are used so the major depreciation hit has already been absorbed and if new boats keep increasing in price they will both hold their values relatively well.
Old    Swatguy (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2013, 5:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
Compared to a Moomba?!?! Ok, now you are getting carried away.

Saying actual "quality" might not be better than something like a Malibu or a Nautique is definitely a fair statement...... But a Moomba? They are great price point boats, but lets face it, build quality is not even close.
Obviously you are not familiar with the 04 MC vinyl. The 06 vinyl on a Moomba is right on par with an 04 X2. MC had a really bad span of vinyl in early 2000's. With that said the seats are more plush on the MC for sure. They use a much thicker , higher quality foam backing. That's the difference. In those years.

I am not going to get into a quality war. It can be argued that both boats will last a lifetime if properly maintained. Is MC a higher quality..... sure they use extra backing plates and higher quality hardware in certain spots. Mechanically tho as mentioned both have decent power plants. I can't recall the year of the hull change on the XLV but I spent a solid year behind the original version and it was a little tricky to get dialed. The mc wakeboard wake has a much better potential.

Owning a version of the 2004 X2 my boat fills up fast with 6 adults. If you are planning on using it as a boat to fill with people for an entire day on the lake with coolers gear and then are a high caliber boarder it gets tight fast. You will have no bow storage. The 750's will fill all of your rear storage. Towels and backpacks will fill you observer storage and coolers and vests will be everywhere. But the wake will be rediculous.

If you plan on using it as a day tripper like that. XLV all the way. If you keep it on the water, have a place on the water, and head out just to board or hang out for a bit I think X2. Like others have mentioned. Try and drive them both.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-17-2013, 6:06 PM Reply   
I really don't agree with the resale arguments either. I bought my 2008 XLV new for 52k. Used it for 4 years and 400 hours and sold it for 44k. Can anyone say the same for their MC, Bu or CC after 4 years and 400 hours? A Moomba is a great boat and offers a lot for the money.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-17-2013, 8:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I really don't agree with the resale arguments either. I bought my 2008 XLV new for 52k. Used it for 4 years and 400 hours and sold it for 44k. Can anyone say the same for their MC, Bu or CC after 4 years and 400 hours? A Moomba is a great boat and offers a lot for the money.
I'd say you found a sucker if you sold a 400 hr moomba for 44k! Did you actually sell it or trade that in to a dealer?
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2013, 10:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I really don't agree with the resale arguments either. I bought my 2008 XLV new for 52k. Used it for 4 years and 400 hours and sold it for 44k. Can anyone say the same for their MC, Bu or CC after 4 years and 400 hours? A Moomba is a great boat and offers a lot for the money.
Seriously? Please tell me you aren't arguing Moomba's resale value is better than that of MC, Bu, and/or Nautique.
Old    Rob Fullerton (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-17-2013, 11:18 PM Reply   
I like that all the MC guys recommend the LSV here, I do too. Then again MC guys like boats and don't think all the other brands suck (okay, minus a few D bags over the years). Moomba carpet sucks but so does MC vinyl in '04

Anyone who has spent anytime behind an LSV or '08 or newer OBV will agree, it's a great wake. Add some weight for a huge wave. Never seen one fall apart or be unreliable. Hit plenty of logs and rocks in them too, they don't mind working hard!

Shim the swim platform, what else is a gripe about the Moomba?

The best hull of the two is the Moomba, some can't see or handle that. I guess it's not the boat for a cool guy?

My advice is based on your two options and willingness to purchase one of them. GLWP.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-17-2013, 11:29 PM Reply   
I sure am. Numbers don't lie. This argument has been had on here many many times. And I sold it privately and had a back up buyer lined up too. I am in Canada btw. My Moomba was an Awesome boat, virtually trouble free for the entire time I owned it. Never had to take it to a dealer once for service. I would recommend one any day of the week. In fact one of my buddies bought a new Mojo last year and it has been an awesome boat too.

Take a CC 230. 2012's are going for 88k-97k, and 2008's are going for $59k. that is $30k-almost $40k difference. These numbers are off onlyinboards.com.

Are you going to tell me that is way better than buying a Moomba for $50 or $60 and Selling it for $40 or $50?

I just purchased a new MC, so it's not like I am saying that Moomba is BETTER. I love my MC, but when people diss Moomba based on resale, I just don't agree and that is my personal experience.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2013, 4:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I'd say you found a sucker if you sold a 400 hr moomba for 44k! Did you actually sell it or trade that in to a dealer?
That sounds about right given the current market. Look at what the early Axis boats sell for now...pretty much near the same price they sold for new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Seriously? Please tell me you aren't arguing Moomba's resale value is better than that of MC, Bu, and/or Nautique.
It is better, only because of the market they are in. The budget boats depreciate less. How many 50k wakeboats do you see selling for 30k after 4 years? Now how many 80-90k wakeboats do you see selling for 55-65k in 4 years (answer - most of them).

As a used-only buyer (cars, boats, ATV's, etc) I love the fact people buy these high end toys that depreciate so much...I can wait a couple years on something to save a fortune.
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-18-2013, 5:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I sure am. Numbers don't lie. This argument has been had on here many many times. And I sold it privately and had a back up buyer lined up too. I am in Canada btw. My Moomba was an Awesome boat, virtually trouble free for the entire time I owned it. Never had to take it to a dealer once for service. I would recommend one any day of the week. In fact one of my buddies bought a new Mojo last year and it has been an awesome boat too.

Take a CC 230. 2012's are going for 88k-97k, and 2008's are going for $59k. that is $30k-almost $40k difference. These numbers are off onlyinboards.com.

Are you going to tell me that is way better than buying a Moomba for $50 or $60 and Selling it for $40 or $50?

I just purchased a new MC, so it's not like I am saying that Moomba is BETTER. I love my MC, but when people diss Moomba based on resale, I just don't agree and that is my personal experience.
Not sure if math or logic is your weak point, but let me clear something up. You cannot take the selling price of a boat in 2012 and use that as the selling price of the same boat in 2008. Of course the depreciation will look greater. That would be like using the selling price of a new LSV and comparing it to the 44k you got for your 2008.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-18-2013, 5:40 AM Reply   
I agree with the math that you will likely lose less. But seriously think 501's the exception rather than rule on selling a 08 400 hr moomba for 44k! Makes more sense being in Canada I guess. Btw if your gonna compare values against a 230 you can't go by say a 08 230 only goes for 59k because I'm guessing thats not the case in Canada for the 230.
I've logged many many hrs on a 2010 Moomba LSV and it throws a nice wake. It's touchy side to side and the more weight you add the more touchy it gets but it is somewhat of a V-hulled boat so that happens. Vinyl holds up really well in my opinion also, this boat has over 600 hrs and no rips or seam issues that I notice. Also just for comparison sake back in 09 I had dealer talked down to 44k for a brand new LSV!
Old    Dave Mello (Daveyboy250)      Join Date: May 2013       05-18-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
Starting to think I shoulda flipped a coin!!
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-18-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
I understand what you mean Matt, I just grabbed those numbers of Onlyinboards, I didn't have access to what the original owners would have paid for those 230's. I just pointed out what I Paid and what I sold my boat for, and you basically ignored the numbers and just said I was wrong. I did very well on my Moomba, better than almost anyone I have heard of selling their new boats after 4 years. I took very good care of that boat and it looked in almost new condition because of how I babied it and when I purchased it I feel I negotiated a good price too. Even at that price I honestly had some sellers remorse. It was just a great boat and I spoke with the new owner half way through summer and he was thrilled with the boat and had no issues.

But to say a person will lose more money on a Moomba versus the top 3 is just not ALWAYS true. Different boats in different markets sell for different amounts, I get that. There have been tons of threads on here about this subject. People can argue both sides but in the end, the actual numbers are all that matter. A Bu, CC, MC sell for so much more money new (in 2008 when I bought my Moomba, the new Xstar was around $100k at the boat show). They do sell used for more money because they cost so much more money, but the gap is a little different, at least here in Canada. Also there are a lot of people looking for a $40k used boat rather than a $70k used boat.

Agree to dissagree I guess, I will find out just how much my MC depreciates in a few years (if I ever sell it). If I can do close to how I did on my Moomba, I will be one happy dude.
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-18-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I'd say you found a sucker if you sold a 400 hr moomba for 44k! Did you actually sell it or trade that in to a dealer?
I wouldn't say he found a sucker. I bought my '08 XLV for $43k new and 230hrs later I sold it for $40k in 2011. If the person buying our boats paid what they wanted and are happy, that's all that matters.
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-18-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I understand what you mean Matt, I just grabbed those numbers of Onlyinboards, I didn't have access to what the original owners would have paid for those 230's. I just pointed out what I Paid and what I sold my boat for, and you basically ignored the numbers and just said I was wrong. I did very well on my Moomba, better than almost anyone I have heard of selling their new boats after 4 years. I took very good care of that boat and it looked in almost new condition because of how I babied it and when I purchased it I feel I negotiated a good price too. Even at that price I honestly had some sellers remorse. It was just a great boat and I spoke with the new owner half way through summer and he was thrilled with the boat and had no issues.

But to say a person will lose more money on a Moomba versus the top 3 is just not ALWAYS true. Different boats in different markets sell for different amounts, I get that. There have been tons of threads on here about this subject. People can argue both sides but in the end, the actual numbers are all that matter. A Bu, CC, MC sell for so much more money new (in 2008 when I bought my Moomba, the new Xstar was around $100k at the boat show). They do sell used for more money because they cost so much more money, but the gap is a little different, at least here in Canada. Also there are a lot of people looking for a $40k used boat rather than a $70k used boat.

Agree to dissagree I guess, I will find out just how much my MC depreciates in a few years (if I ever sell it). If I can do close to how I did on my Moomba, I will be one happy dude.
My resale comment was directed at the buy used sell used resale. With a legendary hull like the 205V, and how it seems that boat and the Super Airs have been holding/going up in price, you will have a much easier time buying either of those used, putting hundreds of hours on it, and selling it for what you bought it for so long as you keep it nice. Not to mention the fact that people will drive hundreds of miles for the 'right' superair or old xstar,x2,x1. Nothing against moomba but they just don't have THAT following.
Old    Bill Smeltzer (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-18-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
i had a 2008 X1. it was a good boat, but was too small and not enough storage. when you put my family(3), and another family(3 or 4) plus a cooler, bag with towels and snacks, there was no room left for ballast bags. we mainly surf and the x1 hull is not very great for surfing either. the wave was nominal height and had very little push to it. i will say it had a killer wakeboarding wake though. i bought it new in 2010(it sat on lot for 2 yrs) for $38k..sold it for 43k 2 yrs later. hard to believe i made money on it haha!!
Old    Eric (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-19-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Obviously you are not familiar with the 04 MC vinyl. The 06 vinyl on a Moomba is right on par with an 04 X2. MC had a really bad span of vinyl in early 2000's. With that said the seats are more plush on the MC for sure. They use a much thicker , higher quality foam backing. That's the difference. In those years.

I am familiar with it, and you are right. MC vinyl was not great in the early 2000s.

Being as my lake only has one Marina, and the only inboard they sell is Moomba, I have a lot of friends with them. They are the most popular boat on our lake, because the other dealers are more than an hour away.

They run good, and the wakes are good......However, these guys are replacing vinyl every 4 or so years, they are chasing electrical problems constantly, broken seat bases, hinges torn out of the seat bases, cracked floors, swim platforms broken around the mounting points, lose windsheilds, switch failures, and the list goes on. Its always a long list of "little things".

Maybe it is because I see so many of them, but in my opinion, Moomba's are the lowest quality boat built. I will admit that they have stepped it up in the last few years, but they have also stepped up the price tag to Tige, Centurion, and Supra territory. At that point, why the heck would you choose a Moomba?
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-19-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Your opinion, my buddy's 06 would suggest otherwise...
This I also disagree with and I had a 2008 Moomba XLV. The interior got better in 2011 and the gel got and interior got even better in 2012, with hull tweak in the Moomba LSV in 2013 I believe (top deck).
Old    David Langston (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-19-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
I am familiar with it, and you are right. MC vinyl was not great in the early 2000s.

Being as my lake only has one Marina, and the only inboard they sell is Moomba, I have a lot of friends with them. They are the most popular boat on our lake, because the other dealers are more than an hour away.

They run good, and the wakes are good......However, these guys are replacing vinyl every 4 or so years, they are chasing electrical problems constantly, broken seat bases, hinges torn out of the seat bases, cracked floors, swim platforms broken around the mounting points, lose windsheilds, switch failures, and the list goes on. Its always a long list of "little things".

Maybe it is because I see so many of them, but in my opinion, Moomba's are the lowest quality boat built. I will admit that they have stepped it up in the last few years, but they have also stepped up the price tag to Tige, Centurion, and Supra territory. At that point, why the heck would you choose a Moomba?
I have a 2008 Moomba LSV and I do have some vinyl issues but it appears that I am in the minority from others I know with moombas of the same model year. I also bought my boat used after it was repoed in AZ so I think sitting out in the AZ sun waiting to be repoed may have something to do with my vinyl. As far as all the problems you listed, I have experienced none of that. All my switches always work and the boat starts every time I turn the key.

Moombas are built on the same line as Supras and the only difference in the build is that Supras have the fancier components installed. Moombe sure gets alot of hate on WW but IMO they are as good or better than Axis.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:25 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us