Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
I am looking to move into a 23 foot boat, I am a huge enzo fan but I want to keep my spend around $50K and as far as a enzo goes this equated to a pre 2009 model. Personally the interiors of the pre 09’s don’t really do it for me and most have arsewipe exhaust. I know Centurion really stepped things up in the later part of 08 but prior to that I feel the vinyl was not all the best. Ironically I like the evo tower more than the gladiator..

There seems to be a plethora 0f 2007 or 2008 Malibu 23 lsv’s on the market, all with great options and low hours so my question for the community is “has anyone surfed both hulls (Enzo/Bu) an can give me a fair comparison of the waves?” we are 99% regular footed, any goofs have to ride darkside, 3000 lbs in additional weight does not bother me, as long as we can hide it. I just don’t want to go backwards with the wave.

Thanks everyone
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       04-08-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
I have ridden both wakes. I very much prefer the enzo wake over the BU wake. They both have their good points

The below is based on a number of enzo's i have ridden and one 08 lsv 23. All of the boats ran custom sacs and lead to shape their wakes.

BU-
pros- much nicer interior, when weighted right has a very hard wake, like bounce your face off of it hard, some adjustment with the wedge but i have found that the wedge does more harm than good, did i mention a much nicer interior...
cons- wake is about 10% smaller than the SV230 and about %30 smaller than a 240, wake does not have much of a transition off of the back of the boat so that can be problematic if you are a skim rider. wake does not have that much "hook" to it. meaning that the wake does not curl around very much and more or less goes straight back. This translates to feeling less power in the very back of the wave near the white wash. This wake is still very much ridable and this review is really splitting hairs between two great boats. Note this is for pre surf gate boats only. Surf Gate completely changed the Malibu wake

Enzo
pro- big proven wake making machine, basically the standard most boat have been judged against for wake shape until recently, can get with a trim tab that will
cons- INTERIOR, these boat are not the prettiest but they work and are dependable.

I just bought an 04 Enzo to practice behind for this seasons wakesurfing, i will be letting it go for well under your budget in a few months. And not ass wipe exhaust, it has a Fresh Air Exhaust.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       04-08-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
ps, get the diamond hull over the wake hull. For whatever reason it surfs better
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2013, 1:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Trevor,

I surfer a heavily weighed VLX and I know what you mean about the transition, the spray on top of the wave was also very annoying (from the wedge). Have you surfed a VLX? are the wave characteristics the same as the LSV Just longer?

Thanks again
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2013, 3:42 PM Reply   
I have an 07 Sv230 without the sideswipe exhaust. Had a custom enzo sac made to fill the entire locker and up the arm. Approximately 1850 #'s. I put a 400 # sac under the seat behind the driver (gets about 350#'s in it). No lead in boat, no sacs on seats or platform and the wake is really good. Speed at 11.2 and Bennet tab at 25%. Enclosed is a video with a 175# driver and a 175# cameraman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWA7QvyHbnA
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       04-08-2013, 4:09 PM Reply   
I have surfed the vlx wake hull. The wake on the LSV is much better than the VLX and no spray issues on the boat I rode.
I have found that the best setting for the wedge is to have it fully deployed but dont turn it up.

here are a few links for some videos for you to compare wakes, for reference sake, i am about 6ft 3in tall and i ride a 4-8 tripleX slayer.

08 lsv--- stock port tank full, custom sac that fills entire back locker and runs up under the seats to the battery compartment.(you can get it from wake makers) and about 250lbs of lead. wedge deployed but not ramped up and 2 people in boat. no center, bow or starboard ballast filled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHTXtV_qyxM

10 sv240- custom enzo
standard enzo sac full, starboard stock tank full, 150 lbs of lead. 3 people in boat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkGJN_hYUoE
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys, I am very familiar with the enzo wake and pictures will never show how much “push” it really has… The decision I have to make based on the cash I want to spend is will I be happy with the LSV or will I be saying… should have spent a bit more and got a 09 enzo.
I have surfed: 230 Enzo, Falcon, Elite V, X2, Mojo 25, VLX and ma Moomba lsv….. I just have yet to try a Malibu LSV
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2013, 5:12 PM Reply   
You will not get the same push from the LSV with all hidden ballast. Buy an Enzo!
Old     (rvawake)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-08-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
^^X2 if you only surf regular and aren't afraid to load the boat up I'd say the Enzo is the clear cut favorite
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-09-2013, 5:00 AM Reply   
I have spent a couple years behind a 07 LSV! Great Surf wake, however takes so much weight to get near the wake of an Enzo. If you dont mind loading up the boat , then if you find a Bu you let it rock! I was looking used Enzo's and opted for new because they have gone up in Price..
Check out an 08/07 Typhoon, same layout as the Avy but 23ft. This boat Surf's amazing and can be found fairly inexpensive. Interior is clean.

A nice feature I love that Centurion has done for years is Snap Out carpet....Bu's do not... That is a big feature to me personally.

Keep us posted!
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-09-2013, 6:40 AM Reply   
Matt,

How does the LSV compare to your elite, I have a bunch of time behind an elite with 2800lbs in it
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-10-2013, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Matt,

How does the LSV compare to your elite, I have a bunch of time behind an elite with 2800lbs in it

I have not surfed an Elite V (that is a smaller boat, smaller than what I think you are looking for)

The Typhoon, has a lot more drive in the wake. The LSV may have a big wake, but unless it is really slammed(full ballast, enzo sack, 400lb in bow, plus a 650 on the floor) it does not have the drive. I do love my buddies LSV, but hands down the Typhoon wake with half the weight has more drive to it.
If your focus is surfing, then I would look for a Centurion, where are you located? there is a 32 hour 07 typhoon in Richmond Va

Hope this helps.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
I've recently dialed my '12 LSV23 and am amazed by the size and push of the surf wave. I have to work harder at slowing down than staying in the pocket on my Brigade Wakesurf .352.

MLS full (all tanks) 1100lbs in port locker, 750lbs on passenger seat, three guys inside. Here's of vid from last Sunday...

Last edited by dDubya; 04-27-2013 at 8:14 AM. Reason: 23
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-23-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
Found a great deal on a 320+, I pick it up next week, Thanks everyone
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       05-27-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
Congrats!!! ..a 320!...sounds like a HUGE boat!!.....lol just kidding... You will be waaay happy!