Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-05-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
I need to make my last system purchase - a subwoofer. Here are the requirements:

- Polk or Exile only. This two brands are the ONLY choice, period, end of story. My in-boats and amps are Polk, my towers are Exile, and my source units stuff is all Alpine. I don't want to add another brand to the mix. What I am saying is I don't care how well priced or performing some JL, Rockford, Wetsounds, etc. subs are...my ONLY choice is between Polk and Exile.

- 12" sub. Needs to be 2 or 4 OHM DVC ONLY.

- Needs to be a good match to my amp; the sub side of a Polk D5000.5. It puts out 400 watts RMS @ 2ohm and 500 RMS @ 1ohm.

- I have to have a speaker grill. I guarantee my wife or someone else will put a hole in the surround without it.

Here are the four speakers I have come up with:

Polk MM1240DVC: $167.09 with Grill

Exile S12 DVC: $150 shipped + ??? for a grill (if there is one that will work with it)

Exile SX12D: $160 shipped + ??? for a grill (if there is one that will work with it)

Exile XI12 DVC: $280 shipped and comes with a grill

There are lower end subs Polk sells but I have no interest. The XI12 is on the top of my list for looks, but on the bottom otherwise as my amp will likely underpower it and it is a good $100 more than the rest. I have no clue what the difference between the S and SX subs are.

Regardless of what I pick, it will be going into a fairly generic ported box - if it works great I will keep it, otherwise I will build a custom box for the sub next fall/winter. I guarantee it will work better than what I am replacing and I got the box for a steal so I can sell it for a profit after this season.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-05-2013, 6:09 PM Reply   
Go with the Polk.. Keeps the whole interior cohesive and meets power specs....
Old     (Brendon444)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-06-2013, 5:27 AM Reply   
I no you said your only interested in polk and exile, however since you already have alpine equipment I would suggest looking at the Alpine type R 12" very clean looking and will out perform all the subs above with room to upgrade amp in the future 1000rms/3000peak. I bought mine for 180 cdn so im sure they can be had cheaper in the states.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-06-2013, 5:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon444 View Post
I no you said your only interested in polk and exile, however since you already have alpine equipment I would suggest looking at the Alpine type R 12" very clean looking and will out perform all the subs above with room to upgrade amp in the future 1000rms/3000peak. I bought mine for 180 cdn so im sure they can be had cheaper in the states.
Again, Exile or Polk only. The Type-R is not Marine rated either...though not all that important, everything else in my system is marine rated so I'm going to stay consistent.
Old    Mike (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-06-2013, 5:47 AM Reply   
Polk for sure!
Old    Earmark Marine (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-06-2013, 7:55 AM Reply   
I wouldn't call a paper cone with a poly cap marine rated.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-06-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
I wouldn't call a paper cone with a poly cap marine rated.
Which sub are you referring to?
Old    Rob Fullerton (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-06-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Which sub are you referring to?
Take a wild guess, he's certainly not recommending an Exile product!
I'm from Oregon so I am geographically biased. (At least that's what I've been told) so I won't even bother. Cough, big 12, cough.
Old    Earmark Marine (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-06-2013, 11:14 AM Reply   
I'm not discouraging anyone from getting the Xi12 or the BIG12. But a Hybrid cone is a paper cone with a poly cap. This wouldn't be the first time someone used a paper cone in a boat. Just don't exclude other woofers based on a non-marine rating when they are just as suited or more suited for marine.
Old    TJ (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-06-2013, 1:14 PM Reply   
I know you said Polk or Exile only but have you considered a MB?
Old    Mike (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-06-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
^Mb Quart?
Old    Chris Hernandez (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-06-2013, 3:06 PM Reply   
Exile XI12 DVC: $280 shipped and comes with a grill



killer sub..... get it
Old     (endlessbreak)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-06-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
I'm not discouraging anyone from getting the Xi12 or the BIG12. But a Hybrid cone is a paper cone with a poly cap. This wouldn't be the first time someone used a paper cone in a boat. Just don't exclude other woofers based on a non-marine rating when they are just as suited or more suited for marine.
So David...what 10" or 12" woofers don't have a paper cone?
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-06-2013, 4:02 PM Reply   
Sorry this is not on your list but i could not resist. I have this one. Polk dxi 124 dvc. $100 and specs show Polymer Composite for cone material....

I personally think it is awesome.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VAxZece...ml#details-tab

Polk Audio DXi 124 DVC
DXi Series 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
Old    Earmark Marine (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-06-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
"So David...what 10" or 12" woofers don't have a paper cone?"

For starters models from Polk, Alpine, JL Audio, Focal, Kicker, Wetsounds, Rockford Fosgate, and countless others.

David
Old    ChrisM (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       04-06-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
Going on 3rd season on Xi12d. No issues, paper cone still pounding
Old    Rob Fullerton (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-06-2013, 11:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic View Post
Going on 3rd season on Xi12d. No issues, paper cone still pounding
Wow really, I was told they suck! If my ears weren't so dumb I would also say they pound, in Oregon.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-07-2013, 4:31 AM Reply   
I'm seeing a bit of brand passion here.

- I'm not brand biased; I've only limited it to these two for consistency. I really want to stick with just Polk or Exile...I'm also thinking resale where I don't want a mix-mash of brands everywhere.

- I don't need to think about upgraded amps in my future. This is my final setup. I can actually stick to that too; I'm running the same system I built in my truck since 2006. I was finished with my home theater until a power surge hit it and required replacement of some components and I haven't considered any upgrades since. So a sub good for 1000+ watts isn't going to benefit me in the future (and my wife would kill me anyway...she is already probably going to be annoyed by this system).

- I know a lot of people like the XI12 DVC. What makes it worth the $100+ over the other choices? In the grand scheme of things $100 isn't much cash overall, but as a percentage of cost over the other subs it is huge...what does that $100 buy me?

- Do any of these subs offer a 2ohm DVC sub? None of them indicate that online; I'm awaiting e-mail responses from Exile, Polk and another retailer.
Old    Shawndoggy (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-07-2013, 7:00 AM Reply   
just get the polk grill from ebay and then there are a ton of 5-600 watt 2 ohm dvc subs out there. 99% of buyers aren't going to care if it is a mishmash of three brands or four, and those who do are going to redo the system anyway.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-07-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
Nitro,
May I ask why you are dead set to get a 2 ohm DVC? Your amp puts out 400 w @ 2ohms, this 25 watts less than the RMS rating of the subwoofer.. The amplifier is 1ohm stable yes, but do you think 100 watts will make THAT much of a difference up in that power rating? I hear different sides of this and am just wanting your thoughts as to why you want that extra 100 watts? Running RMS is considered the safest way to go... I'm thinking if you want a 2 ohm DVC you'll need to wonder outside your choices

I also have to agree getting a sub over rated to the amp is not a wise choice, especially when you say you won't upgrade... Under powering by a couple hundred watts or more can be lethal to the woofer and stressful to the amplifier on heavy notes... JMO

Last edited by Truekaotik; 04-07-2013 at 9:50 AM.
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-07-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI1...12#details-tab

2ohm option. Throw away the box still only $150
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-07-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI1...12#details-tab

2ohm option. Throw away the box still only $150
A single voice coil. That's not going to bring the ohm load down on the amp any more. Will just result in a box to throw away and a lesser sub.
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2013, 2:09 PM Reply   
There is not going to be a seat-of-the-pants output difference between a sub and 400W and the same sub at 500W. With the above options, i'll take the 400W rms @ 2 ohm as opposed to 500W @ 1 ohm. So I would go with a 4 ohm DVC and wire in parallel to 2 ohm. The amp will be running a little more conservative. I have run the XDi12 @ 420W rms in a 1.2 sealed. Performed fine. Sounded great, very SQ. If you find the right deal, rock it. Other wise, look for any 12" 4 ohm DVC with an RMS in the 300-600 watt range.
Old    Brian (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-07-2013, 3:53 PM Reply   
Nitro -

The answer to your question comes down to one thing in my mind: Do you want to target a woofer for the capability of your 5th channel amplifier? Or do you want to go above and beyond that and give yourself some room to grow down the line.

If the answer is buy a woofer and forget about it: the choice is going to be either the polk or the SX series. Contrary to all the cloak and dagger fact out of fiction stuff I read in this thread -- the SX woofer is 100% poly cone. Very similar to the polk product. I'm not sure what the warranty is on the polk, but Exile is 2 year. These woofers are good choices for the amp that is 300-400 watts.

The Xi12D can handle a lot more and abuse than any of the woofers mentioned. We rate it at 600W and people regularly slam it with 800-1000. It is every musical and works in either sealed (sq) or vented (boom) enclosures. We definitely rate it for marine use as the design uses a Poly cone that over molded to the surround and laminated to a paper cone behind the poly one. This gives the woofer a increased rigidly over other designs. It's designed this way so the parts exposed to the marine environment wont rust or get destroyed. We've been shipping this woofer for about 8 years. It's awesome! These woofers go out the door and don't come back. Doesnt surprise me Earmark panning our gear. Issue is, he doesn't sell it anymore. He promotes the brands he carries. No crime in that. But to suggest the Xi is a chump woofer? Get real. Put it to the test. Ask any of the wakeworld people if they've ever returned one. Broke one. or un happy with one. I bet these folks are all smiles. It's our best performance for the buck woofer.

So- As I mentioned earlier, if the amp is the limiting factor, Xi is to much woofer and your wasting your money by going with the extra performance. If you want to plan for the future...Get the Xi and down the road feed it more power and you'll have room to grow as your system grows.

Thats my take.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-07-2013, 4:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinpdx View Post
Nitro -

The answer to your question comes down to one thing in my mind: Do you want to target a woofer for the capability of your 5th channel amplifier? Or do you want to go above and beyond that and give yourself some room to grow down the line.

If the answer is buy a woofer and forget about it: the choice is going to be either the polk or the SX series. Contrary to all the cloak and dagger fact out of fiction stuff I read in this thread -- the SX woofer is 100% poly cone. Very similar to the polk product. I'm not sure what the warranty is on the polk, but Exile is 2 year. These woofers are good choices for the amp that is 300-400 watts.

The Xi12D can handle a lot more and abuse than any of the woofers mentioned. We rate it at 600W and people regularly slam it with 800-1000. It is every musical and works in either sealed (sq) or vented (boom) enclosures. We definitely rate it for marine use as the design uses a Poly cone that over molded to the surround and laminated to a paper cone behind the poly one. This gives the woofer a increased rigidly over other designs. It's designed this way so the parts exposed to the marine environment wont rust or get destroyed. We've been shipping this woofer for about 8 years. It's awesome! These woofers go out the door and don't come back. Doesnt surprise me Earmark panning our gear. Issue is, he doesn't sell it anymore. He promotes the brands he carries. No crime in that. But to suggest the Xi is a chump woofer? Get real. Put it to the test. Ask any of the wakeworld people if they've ever returned one. Broke one. or un happy with one. I bet these folks are all smiles. It's our best performance for the buck woofer.

So- As I mentioned earlier, if the amp is the limiting factor, Xi is to much woofer and your wasting your money by going with the extra performance. If you want to plan for the future...Get the Xi and down the road feed it more power and you'll have room to grow as your system grows.

Thats my take.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Brian,

That's exactly the type if info I was looking for. I have zero intentions of ever upgrading amp setups...I hope to be done with anything audio related on the boat after this project.

Sounds like the Xi is not the answer for me. What is the difference between the S and the SX? Is there a speaker grill that comes with either (and if so, what does it look like)? Also, do you offer either in a 2ohm DVC or only a 4ohm DVC?
Old    Murphy Smith (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2013, 4:42 PM Reply   
IIRC it comes in either a 4 ohm DVC or a OHM SVC....dual or single voice coil.

If I was in your shoes I would support the guy that supports the site and if you do ever had trouble with it or need support you can easily reach out and get what you need.
Old    Earmark Marine (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-07-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
There is no need for Brian's sensitivity (or anyone else's for that matter) to my fair and accurate comments....unless there is a reading comprehension issue.
First, I stated in so many words that the Xi woofer has a hybrid paper cone that doesn't differentiate it as a dedicated marine speaker and that other woofers should not be excluded just because they don't carry a real or implied marine certification. I also began that post by stating that I wasn't discouraging anyone from using the Xi woofer in a boat. No additional commentary was made and I did not recommend an alternate brand.
Later in another post, I answered a very specific question about which woofers do not use a paper cone. I answered that question with a few brand examples that I do and do not carry.

David
Old    Vince Castronovo (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-07-2013, 9:27 PM Reply   
I made most of my decisions based on user experiences, Honestly I just don't understand a lot of the techno information most of these guys post, I have relied on the professional opinion of the shop I choose to purchase from, and the end user, You will always have differing opinions from almost everyone on here, But what you are doing should help to gain info and help make your decisions, I chose the Exile XI12D I have had this sub for over 3 years and beat the crap out of this sub as well as the entire system, It has performed flawlessly in a Marine environment, I have debated upgrading to a Big 15 but really the system is so well tuned I would be just trying to keep up with the Young's...LOL Any way the Exile is a great product and I know this because I torture it weekly and anyone who knows me that stereo is on from launch to load..

Last edited by wakesetter672010; 04-07-2013 at 9:32 PM.
Old    Mikeski (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2013, 11:14 PM Reply   
Most any decent sub in the right box in the right location properly powered will sound great. Buy one that has plenty of excursion and power it well then turn your focus to getting it installed in just the right place in just the right box. I had a little box at the footwell of my boat like the one shown above and it sounded very good with a Alpine Type R, not so good with Massive 12, but very good with a WetSounds XS12. I replaced that with a Boston SPG555 in a slot ported box and it sounds great. I attribute most of the improvement to the box not the sub. I am sure any other good sub with a lot of excursion and significant surface area would sound just as good. I like the Boston because I can toss a spare voicecoil in the boat and keep the tunes rolling even if I burn one up, although I have not burned one up to the point it has stopped working. I have heated it up to the point where it stinks the boat up pretty bad and gets hot to the touch.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
And the winner is......

Exile S12 DVC.

Why? I ended up messaging Exile regarding their subs. I messaged with Rob S; he matched the price I could have spent to purchase the Polk with the grill. Though these subs don't currently come with a grill, they will be offering the Xi's grill for them at the end of the month and he will be shipping me the grill when it arrives.

In the end the S12 and the Polk MM subs would have likely performed about the same. Warranty isn't a big sales angle for me, but the Exile does have a 2 year vs the 1 year for the Polk. The customer support is better from Exile than from Polk in my experience. Again, I'm not normally sold on customer support (product and price are my two big factors) but all other things equal I will always go to those who better back and support their product.

Looking forward to getting my sub in a few days...should be here just in time for me to fire up my new setup for the first time. I am sure it will perform far better than the Infinity Basslink that came with the boat (which honestly wasn't bad for what it is).
Old    Vince Castronovo (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-08-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
Great Choice, And let me tell you, if there is anything you are not happy with or have any questions at all, They will continue to help even after the sale, And they always offer great advice even if you don't buy from them, That right there was a huge plus when working with this company!! Congrats and let us know how it turns out,
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2013, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
And the winner is......

Exile S12 DVC.

Why? I ended up messaging Exile regarding their subs. I messaged with Rob S; he matched the price I could have spent to purchase the Polk with the grill. Though these subs don't currently come with a grill, they will be offering the Xi's grill for them at the end of the month and he will be shipping me the grill when it arrives.

In the end the S12 and the Polk MM subs would have likely performed about the same. Warranty isn't a big sales angle for me, but the Exile does have a 2 year vs the 1 year for the Polk. The customer support is better from Exile than from Polk in my experience. Again, I'm not normally sold on customer support (product and price are my two big factors) but all other things equal I will always go to those who better back and support their product.

Looking forward to getting my sub in a few days...should be here just in time for me to fire up my new setup for the first time. I am sure it will perform far better than the Infinity Basslink that came with the boat (which honestly wasn't bad for what it is).
You do realize its only a 1 year unless you purchase their speaker and amp package.

Quote:
Voice Coil Configuration
Available in 4 ohm DVC and 4 ohm SVC

Stamped Basket
Powder coated Stamped Steel edge bend basket ensures proper rigidity and structure.

Lightweight Hybrid Cone Design
Ultra Rigid and Light Cone is sandwiched to a one piece vacuum formed dustcap. This yields very fast and accurate bass while sealing the elements out of woofer itself.

2.0" OFC High Temperature Voice Coil
The 2.0 inch HT voice coil is wound with premium grade OFC copper so it can handle peaks up to 80 watts.


Power: (continuous)
300W rms
600W peek

Warranty (USA Market)
1 Year - Standard.
2 Year - If installed with Exile amplifier
If my memory serves me correct, this is the same S series sub they carried when Exile was just into car audio. Paper cones and steel baskets are typically not found on other's marine subs. When used in a ported enclosure, wouldnt the basket and the back of the cone be exposed to the same humid air as the front of the cone? In a fresh water trailer boat, this will likely never become an issue, but lets be real, how do these build features stack up against other marine subs? Point being, if you are marketing your subs, amp, speakers, etc as "marine rated" then shouldn't they at least be held to same standard as the others in marine market?

Nitro,

You picked up a good woofer at a good price, but its sad that they try to pass off car audio build designs as marine. Praying on consumers lack of knowledge, thats some customer service right there.
Old    Vince Castronovo (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-08-2013, 7:56 PM Reply   
One thing great about this company, I don't care what there warranty states, If you have a problem, they make it right, You don't see that in any brochure, Why do you hold such animosity with Exile, They have been a class act ever since I purchased my first components from them over 3 years ago, Sorry TigeMike but when you post stuff like that it kinda show you in a whole different light, Quit bashing others just to make your point, The end user is the most important part of any business, and if customers are happy, Great, Don't be so disgruntled just because some don't support your agenda, They have been good to me, and many that I have recommended to them, and that to me is worth more then you trying to discredit them, Honestly makes you look kinda silly, Embrace choice, it's a great virtue, You can constructively argue and compare others products without bashing,
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-09-2013, 5:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter672010 View Post
One thing great about this company, I don't care what there warranty states, If you have a problem, they make it right, You don't see that in any brochure, Why do you hold such animosity with Exile, They have been a class act ever since I purchased my first components from them over 3 years ago, Sorry TigeMike but when you post stuff like that it kinda show you in a whole different light, Quit bashing others just to make your point, The end user is the most important part of any business, and if customers are happy, Great, Don't be so disgruntled just because some don't support your agenda, They have been good to me, and many that I have recommended to them, and that to me is worth more then you trying to discredit them, Honestly makes you look kinda silly, Embrace choice, it's a great virtue, You can constructively argue and compare others products without bashing,
I am happy to hear that you are satisfied with your product and the level of service you have received. I hope it continues for you, but for many, customer service and a product that has stood up to the marine environment has not existed. Please do not take this the wrong way, but your personal experience is only a microcosm of whats really out there. 90% of the boaters I talk to are not active on the internet forums. Those average joe customers out in the real world have to fight tooth and nail to get customer service.

You are entitled to circle the wagons in defense of what ever brand you support. You are free to "shoot the messenger" so to speak, any time someone contributes factual and real-world experiences about the brand you support, when it doesn't paint a pretty picture about the brand you support. At the end of the day, customers deserve to have the most accurate info they can get. From there, they can use it how ever they want and make their purchase. I will continue to dispute inaccurate or misrepresented info.
Old    Vince Castronovo (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-09-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
You are correct in some ways, But motive plays a big role in how one presents information, I'm an end user with great experience and results as many that I know have had with this product, and company. so I shared info that I know I like to hear when researching a product, I do it all the time, When shopping for anything I find myself Google Product reviews, Is very helpful, not 100%, but a great gauge, But it seems apparent that some out of ego, envy or just plain arrogance have to tear others down to express there own opinion and agenda, and that my friend is where it does no one any good, and to be frank I get tired of it, It's old!! So offer Valuable info with correct motive and just maybe people will take you more serious, Tear down and it make you look like you have a personal vendetta and it take you out of the ball game in my Opinion, Just a thought!, I will take 20 people with good or bad experiences to make a fair judgment about a product , over a few who just want to tear down to make them look good, it's a classic theme,

Last edited by wakesetter672010; 04-09-2013 at 6:39 AM.
Old    Tampa Wake (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
This is how every thread that mentions Exile. The wetsounds dealers circle the wagons and hammer them. Its easy to see this all you have to do is see any thread asking about exile see what Dave or any other wet sound dealer has to say. Tim at wetsounds is a good guy has a good business and great products everyone knows that. While Dave knows his stuff I am sure he is pissed for getting his dealership yanked. So kids follow the money. The freaking guy asked about 2 brands but in typical WW fashion he cant get that info. Instead well its not a real marine woofer blah blah. Exile sucks wetsounds everyone else blah.
Old    Earmark Marine (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-09-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
Tampa Wake,
Before you draw me in to this drama get your facts straight.
I made a simple and informed statement not to exclude another brand of woofer just because it may not be marine certified or have a 'marine' label attached to it. The OP excluded other brands and products based on their marine readiness and that was simply incorrect as many have the same or better construction related to a marine application. I didn't get into specifics and just defended those products wrongly categorized. I didn't say anything negative about Exile nor did I discourage anyone from buying the Exile woofer. So READ THE DARN THREAD AGAIN.
Now, on the other hand, if people in the know make an informed statement or a technically accurate statement then you shouldn't really have an issue with it. But here is what typically happens. When a statement is made that is contrary to the experience or belief or agenda of an Exile product owner or friend, some of those Exile owners go out of their way to retaliate, not by disputing certain facts, but by always attacking the person and always questioning their motives in a pathetic attempt to discredit their opinion. Now that is a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black not to mention a cheap shot when you have nothing of substance to offer in arguement. So I might suggest that you try taking the high road if that is what you are advocating to others. When you stoop to attack people personally then you are the least credible source.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-09-2013, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Tampa Wake,
Before you draw me in to this drama get your facts straight.
I made a simple and informed statement not to exclude another brand of woofer just because it may not be marine certified or have a 'marine' label attached to it. The OP excluded other brands and products based on their marine readiness and that was simply incorrect as many have the same or better construction related to a marine application. I didn't get into specifics and just defended those products wrongly categorized. I didn't say anything negative about Exile nor did I discourage anyone from buying the Exile woofer. So READ THE DARN THREAD AGAIN.
Now, on the other hand, if people in the know make an informed statement or a technically accurate statement then you shouldn't really have an issue with it. But here is what typically happens. When a statement is made that is contrary to the experience or belief or agenda of an Exile product owner or friend, some of those Exile owners go out of their way to retaliate, not by disputing certain facts, but by always attacking the person and always questioning their motives in a pathetic attempt to discredit their opinion. Now that is a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black not to mention a cheap shot when you have nothing of substance to offer in arguement. So I might suggest that you try taking the high road if that is what you are advocating to others. When you stoop to attack people personally then you are the least credible source.

David
Earmark Marine
Haha, dude, I have read and appreciated your posts for years, but that first comment of yours was a direct shot at Exile. Even if it was factual information, it was a direct shot. You should just own it.
Oh, and I own polk and wetsounds speakers, so there is no loyalty towards exile here.
Old    Rob Fullerton (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-09-2013, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeepers View Post
Haha, dude, I have read and appreciated your posts for years, but that first comment of yours was a direct shot at Exile. Even if it was factual information, it was a direct shot. You should just own it.
Oh, and I own polk and wetsounds speakers, so there is no loyalty towards exile here.
Just make sure you don't live in Oregon either

I am definitely questioning my reading comp now, I think I know who's sensitive but its not Brian?

At least the advice to read the thread again was in all caps, that got my attention and upon doing so I learned something profound!
Enthusiast forums are not a good place to get advice, insight, and real world experience about various products pertaining to the related hobby or interest. And the microcosm is a poor representation of the end users of said products!
Thank you, I'm in the process of restoring a classic car right now, I was getting advice from people who have done it once, twice, or even 400 times. Where are the "average joes" with the real knowledge?
Old    Tampa Wake (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
Personally, I think both David (earmark marine) and Mike (chrphil - aka Mikes Liquid Audio) need to support the community as all the other guys with commercial interests. You guys are not consumers. YOU ARE BOTH RETAILERS. Why don't you advertise on Wakeworld and actually support this place? Both you are on every single board pushing your agenda disguised as tech help.

Am I wrong here? Thats my last word on this subject. I have a majority of Exile product in my boat but also have some wet sound. I have had great conversations with both Tim and Brian we all have freaking twins and it aint an easy life! I am out.
Old    Earmark Marine (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-09-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
Tampa Wake,
Exactly what I was saying. Find any means possible to personally attack those who you differ with.
I don't disquise my intentions. I don't deceive anyone. My company name and purpose are above board in every case. Are you expecting to harm myself and others by stating the obvious that everyone is fully aware of. Isn't this exactly what the manufacturers do on countless other forums that have no banner available?
If I had a banner then you would certainly find another unrelated point of attack that you perceive as damaging. This isn't the first thread that resulted in an unprovoked attack. Now if you find something I said about any product or audio subject that is incorrect or misleading then that would be a great discussion.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-09-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Personally, I think both David (earmark marine) and Mike (chrphil - aka Mikes Liquid Audio) need to support the community as all the other guys with commercial interests. You guys are not consumers. YOU ARE BOTH RETAILERS. Why don't you advertise on Wakeworld and actually support this place? Both you are on every single board pushing your agenda disguised as tech help. Am I wrong here? Thats my last word on this subject. I have a majority of Exile product in my boat but also have some wet sound. I have had great conversations with both Tim and Brian we all have freaking twins and it aint an easy life! I am out.
My thoughts exactly. I frequent a lot of forums and rarely post. I see this go on time and time again , and usually from these guys. Not hard to see the writting on the wall. LEAVE THE ENTHUSIAST'S SITES, to the enthusiasts..

As a business, if your work, product, or support are top notch, THE ENTHUSIASTS wil let each other where to go, or where they have good expireneces. NOBODY LIKES A KNOW IT ALL.

PNW PRIDE>

Last edited by Alleykat; 04-09-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-09-2013, 10:45 AM Reply   
I would disagree. I think the retailers on the site(s) add value from product, features, ideas, etc. Go ahead and post. We know who you are. And I don't mean that negative, but hell we are all biased in one way or another. Maybe some are biased on what they sell. Or for example I am biased to say the stuff I have is great.

Personally I think the wetsounds stuff is way over priced for what you get compared to Polk. So there! I said it...God love the fact that they sell enough to stay in business to create a market position for lower priced companies.

I also think the original poster was so biased for what he wanted brand wise and model wise, that I am unsure why he posted in first place. Everytime someone posted something he basically shot them down. You can beat me up for that, but that was my impression from his communications.
Old    Brian (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-09-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
Good to see everyone is getting a long these days. Holy night. I'll stay out of the vendetta stuff. It is what it is. Life goes on. But I will say, that I agree with Tampa on the support issue. I cant remember who it was a year or so ago that called me out on it. I think it was Uninvisible. He basically said, "why dont you support this place". He had a point. The people that represent commercial interests should do that. To what level... it doesn't matter. I've seen several banner ad's from retailers and manufacturers alike. It's about support. Exile does what we can to support WW. I think you gentlemen should as well if you want to play in this playground. Thats not an attack. I'm not feeling all that sensitive today lol... It's just a pretty reasonable thing man.

@Nitro; Glad to hear Rob was able to help you and meet your subwoofer needs. If you need any other assistance, don't hesitate to hit up any of us for tuning help or any question.

-Brian@ Exile Audio

Last edited by brianinpdx; 04-09-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: .
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-09-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
^^^word^^^
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-09-2013, 12:10 PM Reply   
I meant that for Scotts post.
Old    Who Cares (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-09-2013, 12:26 PM Reply   
David,

( yes the rest of this will be an attack directed at you) . You visit all these forums spouting out what could be useful information. Instead you talk so far over Most peoples heads that they are left with no choice but to message you privately or post a question that makes them feel stupid. Once you have them in private the gloves come off. For you its all about what brand your pushing this week. I know this for a fact! You did it to me and three people I sent your way. people who came to you knowing what they wanted and you tried steering them in a different direction.

You should be banned from using any company's name in a public forum just like over on the Malibu crew. You come to these forums that you don't support and look to them to support your business. What a Joke! When you do get called out on it you send all your little minions in to back you up. If that doesn't work you start Crying to David about how some member needs to be banned. Some times your successful and some times not. Shame on you for these highschool girl type antics.

As to this thread ( that has me so pissed I`m actually posting) You new the minute you wrote your first post what the out come would be. If Exile says its marine rated and will stand behind it great. more power to them.

In your own words "Before you draw me in to this drama get your facts straight. I made a simple and informed statement not to exclude another brand of woofer just because it may not be marine certified or have a 'marine' label attached to it. The OP excluded other brands and products based on their marine readiness and that was simply incorrect as many have the same or better construction related to a marine application"

The problem with that whole BS. is that you new it would create DRAMA! To top it off it is not what the OP wanted. Clearly he had narrowed down his choice to Polk and Exile. Who cares why. As a sales man you should have sold him what he wanted. ( oh that's right you can`t sell Exile) Not what you thought was better or you had a larger profit in.

You went on to say "This isn't the first thread that resulted in an unprovoked attack. Now if you find something I said about any product or audio subject that is incorrect or misleading then that would be a great discussion." BS! If your gut didn't tell you how this thread would end then your smart ass brain should have.

in closing David I`d like you to note that never once did I say you lied or said something untrue. but like I tell my son its not always the message you give it is how you give it.

Last edited by liljohn; 04-09-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: foul language
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-09-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I also think the original poster was so biased for what he wanted brand wise and model wise, that I am unsure why he posted in first place. Everytime someone posted something he basically shot them down. You can beat me up for that, but that was my impression from his communications.
I will leave the above posts for people to argue among themselves, but this one makes no sense at all. Of course I was biased - I made it about as clear as you possibly could that I was only interested in either the Polk or Exile brands. Are you telling me the following quotes from the original post didn't clue you in:

"Polk or Exile only. This two brands are the ONLY choice, period, end of story"
"my ONLY choice is between Polk and Exile."

I shot down two suggestions outside of the 4 subs I listed.

#1 was an Alpine. See above. I think I was pretty clear.
#2 was another Polk sub. 4ohm SVC...I think this quote - again from my original post - should be pretty damn clear why I shot that one down:

"12" sub. Needs to be 2 or 4 OHM DVC ONLY."

You might think there was a #3, the Exile XI sub, to which I didn't shoot it down but asked what made it worth the $100 price premium for my needs. It was on my initial list and I really wanted more info about why to select it.

The truth is until recently, I was sure I was going with the Polk MM1240DVC. I looked a little more at Exile's offerings and decided to do a bit more digging to see if I may want to go that route instead. Hence contacting Exile and this post.
Old    Johnny (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-09-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
"The OP excluded other brands and products based on their marine readiness and that was simply incorrect as many have the same or better construction related to a marine application" (David_Earmark)

Not true, OP has 2 different brands of speakers in his boat and wanted to stick to one of those 2. He did not exclude other brands due to marine readiness and couldn't care less if there was another brand that was better, cheaper, louder, or "marine-ier" (yes, I made that word up).

So tired of honest questions being asked and advice requested about specific products only to get "what about an MB". And David, there is some truth to WhoCares accusation that "You visit all these forums spouting out what could be useful information. Instead you talk so far over Most peoples heads that they are left with no choice but to message you privately or post a question that makes them feel stupid. Once you have them in private the gloves come off." I have had the same experience with you. You present yourself as a highly knowledgable enthusiast who enjoys sharing your knowledge and hopes to get some recognition and business thrown your way, but that is not the case. I will leave it at that.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:45 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us